Shocker

Think itā€™s a pen. Catches his knee, but I think Ballard is too theatrical and given the timing the refs probably thinking itā€™s for show rather than enough to cause him to go down like that.

Grabbed his shoulder, possible leg contact. If it was a dive, why didn't the ref book him?
Definite leg contact if you look at my gif as this is the 2nd thread about the penna so will be merged but for those that missed it, here is a post of mine thor'd from the merged thread. I can understand why the ref hasn't given it as Ballard looked like he'd been shot and most people focused on the soft hand on the shoulder and missed the leg contact. It's hard enough to see in real-time even on replay so even harder for the ref from distance with the 1 unique viewing angle.

Clear leg contact and why Choudhury ends up jumping up after his left leg stride stops due to his left knee clipping Ballard's right calf. This affects Ballard's full stride as he can't then bring up his right leg fully. Look closely and Ballard's right foot even clips his left leg so he goes down like a sniper has shot him. Aye Ballard made it a bit more theatrical but most footy players know what happens when you get clipped on the uplift stride and also clip your opposite leg. That along with the hand on the shoulder is still enough contact to impede the player.

If the ref gave a penna there's no way that VAR would call him ower. Whereas if the ref doesn't give a penna, VAR may well call the ref ower for this.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back