Shocker

Yes but not given.
That's not what you said though marra, and thats not VARs role though. Given what we've seen before, pretty much every time a ref is called over he gives it. He'd have given it.
Aye Choudhury ends up blocking some of his view and his viewing perspective angle is worse to begin with than the 2 video replays angles, especially when you consider he's viewing over distance in real-time while running himself. There's no way he could call it and be 100% sure what he thinks happened did happen as it's hard enough to see slowed down for some on here.
Agreed. VAR would've highlighted what he couldn't see.

Last edited:

That's not what you said though marra, and thats not VARs role though. Given what we've seen before, pretty much every time a ref is called over he gives it. He'd have given it.

Agreed. VAR would've highlighted what he couldn't see.

VAR looks at virtually everything which is why it’s spoilt the game.
This pen appeal would not be given.
If that was against you there would be outrage and quite rightly so.
No way is that a penalty.

VAR looks at virtually everything which is why it’s spoilt the game.
This pen appeal would not be given.
If that was against you there would be outrage and quite rightly so.
No way is that a penalty.

It would be. As you agreed VAR would've pulled the ref. Almost every time the ref gives it from that point. Can you think of any where the ref has stuck with his decision of no foul when pulled by VAR?

I'm not sure how it's not a penna. Take the theatrics out. Its irrelevant. Hand on shoulder and clips his legs. It's a foul. As others have said, there wouldn't be outrage as there is contact.

As someone else pointed out. The refs view was blocked so fair enough. But VAR would've allowed him to see it all.

Last edited:
It would be. As you agreed VAR would've pulled the ref. Almost every time the ref gives it from that point. Can you think of any where the ref has stuck with his decision of no foul when pulled by VAR?

I'm not sure how it's not a penna. Take the theatrics out. Its irrelevant. Hand on shoulder and clips his legs. It's a foul. As others have said, there wouldn't be outrage as there is contact.

As someone else pointed out. The refs view was blocked so fair enough. But VAR would've allowed him to see it all.
Here's better quality gifs using the Youtube video showing the obvious contact from Chouwdry's knee into Ballard's right calf which stops Ballard's uplift swing of his leg knocking it sideways and then Ballard's right foot clipping his left calf (I've held that frame a little longer).

Penna all day long for any ref that looks at this, regardless of Ballard auditioning for Swan Lake. If he didn't 'dive' and tried to stay on his feet he still wouldn't get the ball and certainly wouldn't get a penna. Also note that Ballard hasn't 'dived' yet in the gif that shows him clipping his own leg.

Logon or register to see this image

You see his boot pulled back in 1 frame and then it's suddenly moves forward in the next frame quite a lot due to the tension release.

This is his foot clipping his calf as you see his boot in nearly pointing down but the middle frame is 45 degress and then next is back down again. If anyone can't see it then they need to go to specsavers or they haven't played or watched enough footy to see similar incidents like this.

You can watch it here and change the speed to 0.25 to see it even clearer as the gifs lose some quality.

Last edited:
Here's better quality gifs using the Youtube video showing the obvious contact from Chouwdry's knee into Ballard's right calf which stops Ballard's uplift swing of his leg knocking it sideways and then Ballard's right foot clipping his left calf. Penna all day long for any ref that looks at this, regardless of Ballard auditioning for Swan Lake. If he didn't 'dive' and tried to stay on his feet he still wouldn't get the ball and certainly wouldn't get a penna. Also note that Ballard hasn't 'dived' yet in the gif that shows him clipping his own leg.

You see his boot pulled back in 1 frame and then it's suddenly moves forward in the next frame quite a lot due to the tension release.

This is his foot clipping his calf as you see his boot in nearly pointing down but the middle frame is 45 degress and then next is back down again. If anyone can't see it then they need to go to specsavers or they haven't played or watched enough footy to see similar incidents like this.

You can watch it here and change the speed to 0.25 to see it even clearer as the gifs lose some quality.

I dunno how anyone can say a knee to the back off the calf AND a hand on the shoulder isn't a penna.Its crazy.

I dunno how anyone can say a knee to the back off the calf AND a hand on the shoulder isn't a penna.Its crazy.
They either can't see it no matter what even though the poor quality is still enough to see what happens if you've watched/played enough footy in your life or in some cases they don't want to see it.

"Not enough to bring a big lad down" appears to be the excuse.
Here's better quality gifs using the Youtube video showing the obvious contact from Chouwdry's knee into Ballard's right calf which stops Ballard's uplift swing of his leg knocking it sideways and then Ballard's right foot clipping his left calf (I've held that frame a little longer).

Penna all day long for any ref that looks at this, regardless of Ballard auditioning for Swan Lake. If he didn't 'dive' and tried to stay on his feet he still wouldn't get the ball and certainly wouldn't get a penna. Also note that Ballard hasn't 'dived' yet in the gif that shows him clipping his own leg.

Good work. Yep now can even see after the defender knees him his foot is then sent across and he then clips his own other leg.

Last edited:

^ Both angles show he clearly clips his own leg after he is kneed.
Their player is pulling on Ballard shoulder with 2 feet off the ground before Ballard even starts to go down. Pen all day (again)
His feet come off the ground due to his knee colliding with Ballards calf, stopping the defender in his tracks.

Last edited:
penalty all day long

the best comment I heard last night was '100 times out of 100, VAR would give that as a penalty and rightly so, but for me it's not a penalty' :lol:

This is what does my heads in about refs only giving fouls when players "go down".

Choudary does give him a tug, I'd say it is "contact with consequence" as you see his shoulder be pulled back.
Is it enough to make ballard throw himself to the floor like he has been sniped? Of course not, doesnt mean its not a foul though. Bllard feels he as to go down for it to be given.

Bet that's given elsewhere on the pitch.

This is what I like about SAFC supporters , honest bunch who call it as they see it. If it were Arsenal / Liverpool / Man Utd fans they would be calling it a disgrace. VAR would have given a pen , hand on the shoulder , but he went down like he had been shot.

Back