Shared Parental Leave - encouraging more blokes to take it

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:
I look after people mate but there is no way I’d let people take the piss.Because that’s what it looks like to me.

Yous all wonder why people employed in loads of industries are now class as self employed.It’s because of piss takes like this.
People taking maternity leave are taking the piss?

I know you like to say daft things on here, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

They claim it all back off the government.
I’m not so much on about the money.

if I (which I do ) have a squad of 2 lads working together who have got to be together to do a 2 man Job and I’ve got one lad taking half the year off because he can?Causes untold problems and he’s have to go.

I’m not so much on about the money.

if I (which I do ) have a squad of 2 lads working together who have got to be together to do a 2 man Job and I’ve got one lad taking half the year off because he can?Causes untold problems and he’s have to go.

Would you think a woman was taking the piss?

You wouldn't be able to fire him anyway, not legally anyway.

Well I’m on the committee of our Company’s Families network and we’ve done quite a few surveys, if that’s what you mean?

Is your point that women might not want to give up their leave to men? You’re right they might not. But they also might. And I’m trying to increase the awareness and take up of SPL in men, and I can’t control the women in those relationships because they don’t work for us, by definition. Their partners do.

if you believe that something has legs, go for it. otherwise the world will never change.

all I would say, is make sure you have a strong basis to go for it. I suspect that is partly why you posted on here to try and gauge the feeling.

Ive been on a few committees and one thing I hate, is when people say, we've tried that before and it didn't work or it just wont work and then dismiss the idea.

I would try and do it on a measured basis, so you can present to HR / management actual facts. It may throw up a few surprises.

I can see no real issues with asking the opinion of both worker and partner opinions. Nobody has to answer but as you say they might.

by contacting both to ask opinions, you are at the same time raising awareness.

really it is people in their 20's or 30's that should have the major say on the proposals, not people in their 60's (like me and wife) but should have a say to offer inclusiveness and to show all company employees have a voice

People taking maternity leave are taking the piss?

I know you like to say daft things on here, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.
Correct me If I’m wrong here which I might be,people can take upto 12 weeks a year in blocks of 3 weeks at a time for “parental leave”

how can a small company accommodate that ?

Correct me If I’m wrong here which I might be,people can take upto 12 weeks a year in blocks of 3 weeks at a time for “parental leave”

Yes, I've taken loads of it. It's great. The rules are sightly more complicated than that though.

Not after the bairn is born she isn't. What happens if one of your two workers is a woman in future?
Ive heard owners of companies say they wouldn’t employ woman of a certain age due to this very reason.

there is no chance at all of me ever employing women.

That’s parental leave and it’s unpaid I believe (and it might be at the discretion of the business, I’m not sure) .

Shared Parental Leave (which is what I’m talking about( is where a man shares the maternity leave of his partner in order to spend time raising his child.
Not after the bairn is born she isn't. What happens if one of your two workers is a woman in future?
To be honest, it’s these kind of attitudes I’m hoping to combat by carrying out my project to increase awareness tbh.

That’s parental leave and it’s unpaid I believe (and it might be at the discretion of the business, I’m not sure) .

Shared Parental Leave (which is what I’m talking about( is where a man shares the maternity leave of his partner in order to spend time raising his child.

To be honest, it’s these kind of attitudes I’m hoping to combat by carrying out my project to increase awareness tbh.
It’s fine combatting these types of attitude when you work for a decent size company where everyone is just a number and it just gets lost amongst the noise so to speak.

what about further down the ladder where people are only employing a handful of people and everyone is heavily relied on?

It’s fine combatting these types of attitude when you work for a decent size company where everyone is just a number and it just gets lost amongst the noise so to speak.

what about further down the ladder where people are only employing a handful of people and everyone is heavily relied on?
I’m not trying to increase SPL in your company mate. Just mine.

But just so you know, anyone who works for you has a legal right to take a year off to have a child. Men too. You probably need to prepare for that. You can claim it back from the government though so it shouldn’t cost you anything.

I’m not trying to increase SPL in your company mate. Just mine.

But just so you know, anyone who works for you has a legal right to take a year off to have a child. Men too. You probably need to prepare for that. You can claim it back from the government though so it shouldn’t cost you anything.
If a SAFC player took a year off because their Lass had the bairn there would be rightly hell on.

Following on from the Mat Leave for MP thread in the Politics Forum, didn’t want to totally derail it:

This year I’m working on trying to increase the uptake in our company of Shared Parental Leave in men. So couple of qs for you chaps:

a) were you aware that you could take “maternity leave” of up to 12 months?
B) What’s stopping you take it/what’s stopped you in the past?
C) what could your company do (sensible solutions please!) to encourage you to take Shared Parental Leave if you were having a baby?

Thanks gents.

a) yeah
B) not a chance the wife would have agreed
C) company already does loads to promote it (as should all good employers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back