Shared Parental Leave - encouraging more blokes to take it

Whichever ones I don’t agree with.no tail wagging the dog here.

That’s a generalisation if ever I’ve seen one pet.
It is a generalisation, however it’s probably not far from the truth. The reality is SAFC players won’t take SPL.

But this thread is about what your employer could do to encourage you to take it. I suspect the answer is nothing, so thank you for your input.

Indeed. And women always have to weigh up these kinds of issues when determining how long to take off. The idea of SPL is that it shouldn’t only be an issue for the woman.

To address a couple of your points - for Mat leave (and therefore I assume SPL) if you come back before six months is up, they are legally obliged to give you exactly the same role back (hence why a lot of women in client roles like you describe, come back after six months).

Also re bonuses - indeed, women who take Mat leave often end up with no bonus - hence the Gender Pay Gap. It should be noted that some companies opt to pay a bonus even if someone hadn’t been working for that period of time. It’s therefore a bonus based on your potential and future value to the company (ie we want to keep you) rather than one based on what you have delivered. Those are few and far between however, and are often in larger professional services firms for instance.
Your last point is interesting. One of our highest producers is a lady but if she took off a year to have a child then we'd lose a year of her production. It's impossible for me to have a child or breast feed so I think this issue is one of those things that is just different for men and women.

It was a while back now, but the PAYE was above the NI threshold. But it would have made absolutely no difference what the number was, I simple wasn't entitled to SPL.

You would think if you were an employee you could pay yourself SPP. Did it mean you couldn't claim it back as you're also a director?

Your last point is interesting. One of our highest producers is a lady but if she took off a year to have a child then we'd lose a year of her production. It's impossible for me to have a child or breast feed so I think this issue is one of those things that is just different for men and women.
Correct

it’s just a piss take the blokes wanting it off aswell.Women fair enough

But you don’t need a year off to give birth ( or recover) you probably only need a few weeks for the majority of women. You also don’t need a year off to breastfeed. There are lots of alternatives to breastfeeding including expressing. Many employers provide expressing facilities and standard now.

Also, if your top male producer took a year off (as he is legally entitled to do now) you’d also lose a year of his production. If either of them are good and you want to encourage them back to the workforce, then it might make sense to pay a “value” bonus. (Fwiw, very few companies do this, but some of the big ones do).

"Snip passports or nee work lads."

People always go on about "small businesses" and how unfair it is on them.
If I was a small business owner, I'd actually give 2 shits about my staff, and I'd be chuffed to bits for them.

Part of running a business is not being in a position to be totally fucked if one person left - with 6 months notice!!

He's old school though mate. 😁😁😁😁

But you don’t need a year off to give birth ( or recover) you probably only need a few weeks for the majority of women. You also don’t need a year off to breastfeed. There are lots of alternatives to breastfeeding including expressing. Many employers provide expressing facilities and standard now.

Also, if your top male producer took a year off (as he is legally entitled to do now) you’d also lose a year of his production. If either of them are good and you want to encourage them back to the workforce, then it might make sense to pay a “value” bonus. (Fwiw, very few companies do this, but some of the big ones do).
What’s expressing??

Really? That's good of you. At least you know it's not just their time of the month eh!
1st time I hint of anyone trying to take the piss out of me,the company or more importantly the other lads then they are out the door.

I proper look after the lads mate ,financially and other ways.it’s a 2 way street.

1st time I hint of anyone trying to take the piss out of me,the company or more importantly the other lads then they are out the door.

I proper look after the lads mate ,financially and other ways.it’s a 2 way street.

That's good. Hopefully if one of them needed a few months off for paternity you would look after them then too.

Who would you never consider employing women?

Why should it be the woman? It's not your concern, other than you're a sexist employer who would never consider employing a woman.
Not forgetting an exploitative employer who would try to deny people of legal rights. Of course it wouldn’t stand up in court but the intention is there on his part.

Another Q - if your employer paid a value bonus, would you be more likely to take SPL? Even a month or two perhaps?

I couldn’t breastfeed and I had a relatively straightforward birth. There’s not really a reason I couldn’t have gone back after 6 months and have my husband do a couple of months of the parental leave. Its not a high percentage of babies who are exclusively breast fed after 6 months.

Back