Shane Warne RIP

RIP. Quite a shock. For Australia to lose two of their all time 11 certainties in one week with Rodney Marsh just preceding him must be doubly upsetting for their cricket fans

I distinctly remember watching Warne bowl the ball of the century (live) and thinking “shiiiit” we’re gonna be in trouble for the next ten years with this lad.

I was 10 years old when the 2005 ashes series was played.

Went from a football loving kid, to playing cricket every day with my brother and cousins. We would play the Ashes, my team always being Australia and me doing my best Shane Warne impression with a tennis ball.

We then joined our local club, and enjoyed a lot of great times.

Warne was not only the best spinner the world has ever seen, but he was an entertainer. A personality.

He made people fall in love with game. I thank him for that.

[/QUOTE] Ahead of the 2005 Ashes, Warne was captaining a Hampshire team which included rising star Kevin Pietersen, who had yet to make his test debut.

One day KP took Warne aside and said "can I have a quick chat to you about the Ashes and what's it all about".

"Sure," Shane replied. "Let's discuss it over a game of golf".

They had a good game and the match was all square going into the final hole. Both players hit their tee shots down the left side of the fairway.

As they walk down, Warne spots a ball in the rough next to a tree and asks, "KP, can I have a drop shot? I can't hit this."

KP says no, so Warne tries to get his body in a position to hit it, but he can't.

"I can't hit this, I need a drop," he insists. But Pietersen refuses to budge, telling him, "You're not allowed a drop".

"Are you sure?" Shane asks, a twinkle in his famous blue and green eyes.

"Positive," says KP.

"Good, cos that's your ball. And that's what Ashes cricket is all about". [/QUOTE]

As I was banned during this just wanted to post

I am a very synical fellow, but genuine moment when I was shocked for words when I heard this,

Was a hero of mine growing up, for the reasons everyone has already said

the phrase "bowling shane" or "bowling warney" was so present in my child and teen years its mad, its funny reading comments from loads saying the same, thats just what you did! Any ball bowled, any sort of spin on a ball or like anything.

Like I reckon the majority of people in the UK over a certain age know who Shane Warne is in this country, more than Flintoff, more than Pietersen or anyone

Also just a bloke so full of life who just seemed to play by his own rules, its brutal, that he can just drop dead in his early 50s, really took me back, I just thought he would live forever almost.

what a legend man, RIP.

Anyone watching his memorial? Superb. 50,000 in the MCG with Elton John etc playing. He'd have loved this.

It's a tough watch mind. Still absolutely gutted he's gone :(

Back