Shaking hands with the Royal Family

Just make sure you haven't got any traces of explosives on yer mitts.

Just Novichuk plus barrier cream to ensure I don't get poisoned.

Seriously, I'd just shake hands hand have done. There's more mature ways of stating your beliefs than spitting your dummy that is not really about the royals. I'm not a James McClean-type.

I'd shake their hand as per common courtesy with anyone, I wouldn't bow to one of them though. I cringe when I see people bowing and curtseying to them, as per below

Logon or register to see this image
Cherie Blair declared that she wasn’t going to curtesy to the Queen. The day that she met the Queen she got in a fluster and did a sort of half bow half curtesy and the Queen just smiled to herself and walked on. I’m pretty sure that she had a good laugh over her Drambuie that night when she was telling Philip about her day.

Commonly, the Royal Family greet football sides at Wembley, walking down the line and shaking hands with the players. As a republican, I have always found this to be somewhat bollocks. If during one of these charades a player politely declined, would this be an act of treason?

Nah but it would be a ****’s trick

I think in this scenario the royals are representing the FA, so a simple handshake is ok. Standing to attention whilst the band plays God save the queen bollocks is another matter, I get round it by singing god save our team.

Just do one of those stupid handshakes that the younger element do,and say something like "Here's me hand , here's me heart"
Would probably go down quite well.

Commonly, the Royal Family greet football sides at Wembley, walking down the line and shaking hands with the players. As a republican, I have always found this to be somewhat bollocks. If during one of these charades a player politely declined, would this be an act of treason?
Ask your husband?

Back