Sgt Blackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

given that it was a miltary court and the CPS do not have any involvement with military cases, then you are incorrect in saying they should look at the evidence as its nowt to do with them at all!
Ignoring that, didn't they pull up some new evidence so he could take the manslaughter charge? Evidence that wasn't originally available?

given that it was a miltary court and the CPS do not have any involvement with military cases, then you are incorrect in saying they should look at the evidence as its nowt to do with them at all!

wasn't the Blackman case a civil court case though . even though the act was performed while serving...

Bringing nothing to this debate but was reading this thread then when having dinner heard this quote. Thought I'd share.

Einstein: "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

Bringing nothing to this debate but was reading this thread then when having dinner heard this quote. Thought I'd share.

Einstein: "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

Einstein was a pacifist, so no surprise he said that

Have to say I agree. Dunno quite why people think if the state says you kill someone = a hero, brave, honourable... if you decide to kill someone = murderer, coward, criminal etc.

I really think taking another person's life is only justifiable from self defence when reasonable to do so.

Have to say I agree. Dunno quite why people think if the state says you kill someone = a hero, brave, honourable... if you decide to kill someone = murderer, coward, criminal etc.

I really think taking another person's life is only justifiable from self defence when reasonable to do so.

It's far too a simplistic way to look at it because conflict occurs for such a variety of reasons.

Two armed men engaged in combat with one another understand the situation and the risk involved.

Bonkers decision. Basically, the geneva convention doesn't apply to us. We can do what we want and then complain when the Taliban do nasty things to us.

Bonkers decision. Basically, the geneva convention doesn't apply to us. We can do what we want and then complain when the Taliban do nasty things to us.

Factors such as his mental state at the time have obviously been taken into consideration, rightly so IMO.

I was very much in the minority when this case first came to light as I agreed that he'd broken the law and needed to be punished otherwise how can we take the moral high ground over the enemy, which flew in face of those who said he should be given a medal etc.

That said, I don't think we can truly appreciate the stresses that war can put upon a person and how people can end up reacting in the heat of the moment. I'm still firmly of the opinion that he had to brought to account for this especially as the evidence was there and to ignore it would have made a mockery of our armed forces. I firmly believe our armed forces are some of the best in the world and I would want those high standards to be maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back