Sgt Blackman

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 bannings by the time it makes it to page 4.

FWIW I agree with the poster that said our adherence to the Geneva convention is what sets us apart from them

So you agree that at least two of ours should have put their life at greater risk to carry a dying terrorist through one of the most dangerous areas of the world? A terrorist who moments earlier was talking shots at the people who captured him?

I'm torn with this one. On one hand it's hard to judge someone who reacts this way during a combat situation and there is no way he should be given life for this action.
On the other hand, these rules are there to protect all servicemen and whilst I guess a group like the Taliban would not play by the rules, aren't we supposed to be better than that .

He broke the Geneva Convention, so he's guilty, simple. We get this lesson pretty much every six months, LOAC etc. It is one of the things that makes us better than the likes of the Taliban.

Its not worthy of life in prison though, and he was in a highly stressful situation.

So you agree that at least two of ours should have put their life at greater risk to carry a dying terrorist through one of the most dangerous areas of the world? A terrorist who moments earlier was talking shots at the people who captured him?
Whilst shooting the Taliban soldier was wrong, no way should you be putting yourself or your mates at risk trying to save him.

Reactions: UTW
Whilst shooting the Taliban soldier was wrong, no way should you be putting yourself or your mates at risk trying to save him.

Not putting at risk, but we'd have to treat their wounds as if they were our own.

Filming the event wasn't his smartest move.

He's guilty as hell of stupidity which shouldnt carry a sentence.
Difficult to imagine what it's like to be fair.

I'm sure he won't be alone but getting caught it's difficult politically to defend and ignore once it's out in the public domain.

The major problem here is , if we are not seen to punish Blackman, next time one of our soldiers is caught we can't complain if he is tortured and killed.

“Obviously this doesn’t go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva Convention.”

The lesson here is, turn your camera off if you're going to break the Geneva Convention.

:lol: this basically.

Mind his ability to stand over an enemy during the midst of battle and utter: “Shuffle off this mortal coil, you ****. It’s nothing you wouldn’t do to us" before shooting him dead is unbelievable. A career in Hollywood beckons I reckon.

If your presence there is justified on the basis of taking the moral high ground then yes.

should have been slapped on the wrist... demoted even but other than that swept under the carpet.

It shouldn't have been but aye it probably should have been.

Last edited:
The missus does IPO (dunno if you have heard of it) with him. She also does a bit of obedience and working trials with him
Trying not to derail the thread so this will be me last on the beautiful hound haha! Class to build a working relationship with a dog like that... if there's any litters from him I'd be massively interested

Free him now.
Get him home to his family.

He put a fellow man - albeit an enemy soldier "out of his misery" and had the misfortune to have it covered on camera.
He never followed the "rules" but then again, how many did in other conflicts around the world on previous occasions?

Hope he wins.

4 bannings by the time it makes it to page 4.

FWIW I agree with the poster that said our adherence to the Geneva convention is what sets us apart from them
It's a strange situation to be in. When you first deploy you are keen to test your skills and knowledge. After a short space of time you adapt to your surroundings and you don't think the same. You get complacent and lose touch with reality, pressure gets to you and your head is all over the place. I know for a fact people do things on tour that they would never even consider when not in that situation. It's scary.
However you're right that the rules are there to show why we should be seen as the good guys and if we can't demonstrate that we can follow them how do we expect others to

It isn't ok for him to kill a terrorist.

However it is ok for people to drop bombs killing hundreds of civilians.

2k16

He isn't classed as a terrorist which is the legal point I think, he is/was a combatant and they are treat differently.

Free him now.
Get him home to his family.

He put a fellow man - albeit an enemy soldier "out of his misery" and had the misfortune to have it covered on camera.
He never followed the "rules" but then again, how many did in other conflicts around the world on previous occasions?

Hope he wins.

If this is the precedent then we should be prosecuting all those who didn't follow the rules which enabled things like this to happen in the first place, start with Blair and Bush then work our way down. Politicians shouldn't be able to ruin life and lives without consequence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back