Self-driving car kills pedestrian

Status
Not open for further replies.

The amount of deaths we have per year and the want for this to fail is remarkable.

Yes taxi drivers lorry drivers will be in trouble but the world changes and jobs we havent even heard of yet could be a mass employer in ten years.
The only downside I can see is that Gibson might still be available for selection for us.

On the flip side these cars will overall be safer and kill far fewer people. So jobs lost but many lives saved.
More people alive less jobs
Can't see how we sustain it ,rising population ,increased automation
All live on little plots with a cow and an allotment

The amount of deaths we have per year and the want for this to fail is remarkable.

Yes taxi drivers lorry drivers will be in trouble but the world changes and jobs we havent even heard of yet could be a mass employer in ten years.
Can't think of any innovation that has boosted traditional manual labour apart from our quest for cheap stuff from the East

Last edited:
More people alive less jobs
Can't see how we sustain it ,rising population ,increased automation
All live on little plots with a cow and an allotment

Can't think of any innovation that has boosted traditional manual labour apart from our quest for cheap stuff from the East
And the downside is?

which bit don't they have? Their tech can drive completely autonomously, the human is just needed for legal reasons.

Nope. They are miles away from that sort of tech yet, despite what Musk claims.

Tesla’s Autopilot is supposed to deliver full self-driving, so why does it feel stuck in the past?

I checked out Tesla's Autopilot — and there's no way it can drive a car by itself

I don't doubt we'll see self driving cars on motorways (likely the US) within the next decade or two. Urban areas are a completely different beast though.

Nope. They are miles away from that sort of tech yet, despite what Musk claims.

Tesla’s Autopilot is supposed to deliver full self-driving, so why does it feel stuck in the past?

I checked out Tesla's Autopilot — and there's no way it can drive a car by itself

I don't doubt we'll see self driving cars on motorways (likely the US) within the next decade or two. Urban areas are a completely different beast though.

Obviously they still have a long way to go before they’ve developed anything like a reliable system and using current owners as Guinea Pigs is not exactly their smartest idea.

“The technology is good, but after using it for only about 15 minutes on the highway, I found it abundantly clear that Autopilot is a long, long way from the magical experience of a car driving itself. Or even steering itself.“

Last edited by a moderator:
Its weird that self driving cars haven't solved the laws of physics@

Anyone still in denial that self driving cars aren't inevitable really need to do a bit research. It is only a matter of time.
Aye, but don't hold your breath.

I questioned in a previous debate about them being allowed, as it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

The vast amount of collisions are caused by human error.

Mate of mine who works inHolland is good mates with a lad who works at Google. He reckons these cars are way closer to being introduced than we realise. They've set a company up that's buying as many city centre car parks in Germany, Holland and Belgium because it's going to be rolled out in these countries before too long and the cars need somewhere to be housed until they get a job. I don't imagine they'd be doing that if they didn't know it's coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tezla and others in the same line need to learn to walk before it can run.
They are a long, long way from turning out a driverless car that can totally independently safely deal with all adverse situations in all countries and they’re already losing serious money with their normal business.

As mentioned the commercial aircraft industry haven’t achieved similar aims after more than thirty years and in addition computerisation has simply brought along its own new set of problems and resultant mishaps.

The complexity of the Worlds road systems presents a far greater challenge than that and I don’t see the numerous issues being mastered any time soon.

Tezla and others in the same line need to learn to walk before it can run.
They are a long, long way from turning out a driverless car that can totally independently safely deal with all adverse situations in all countries and they’re already losing serious money with their normal business.

As mentioned the commercial aircraft industry haven’t achieved similar aims after more than thirty years and in addition computerisation has simply brought along its own new set of problems and resultant mishaps.

The complexity of the Worlds road systems presents a far greater challenge than that and I don’t see the numerous issues being mastered any time soon.
We're not seeing "computerisation" develop here. We're seeing ai. Its still in its infancy, has never been used in a commercial aircraft but will be flying planes in a couple of decades.

We're not seeing "computerisation" develop here. We're seeing ai. Its still in its infancy, has never been used in a commercial aircraft but will be flying planes in a couple of decades.
You also have to think that 30 years ago, it was 1988. The BBC Master computer with its 128k of RAM was seen as fairly advanced but it was about to make way for the next wave of computers like the Archimedes, Amiga and 286 PC. They just did not have the sensor quality, memory and processing power back then which really held things back. These things are no longer much of a problem.

Anyone who thinks the car industry will take 30 years to catch up to aircraft is living in a dream world. Roads are a far more complex environment than the air and they have already surpassed the number of decisions and scenarios planes can deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back