Self-driving car kills pedestrian

I don't think robots can be programmed for every driving situation it would come up against, still think it's a shit idea.
This, if computers can safely drive cars through cities and make the right choices with all the variables that to with it like, seeing a kids ball run out or a group of kids not paying attention so you slow down cause ya know one of them is gonna step out without looking or if a dog runs out and you have to hit the dog because there's people either side of the road and you've got nowhere to go etc.

Then they'll probably be able to replace everyone in any job.

David Shepardson on Twitter

Video of crash here. Absolutely unbelievable that the poor sod wasn't seen.

It’s absolutely pitch black and they’re crossing where there’s no light.

Maybe that video is poor quality but the responsibility here lies with the person crossing who didn’t appear to look, and didn’t appear to choose a safe place to cross the road.

The Uber car driver should have been looking though obviously

It’s absolutely pitch black and they’re crossing where there’s no light.

Maybe that video is poor quality but the responsibility here lies with the person crossing who didn’t appear to look, and didn’t appear to choose a safe place to cross the road.

The Uber car driver should have been looking though obviously

There's literally nowhere else to cross thanks to regressive motor dominated design. The fault lies entirely at the driver and the techs fault. Both should be able to deal with poor visibility conditions.

There's also still questions about whether the car was over the speed limit.

There's literally nowhere else to cross thanks to regressive motor dominated design. The fault lies entirely at the driver and the techs fault. Both should be able to deal with poor visibility conditions.

You just sound like you’re desperate to blame the technology, for whatever reason.

You might even be right but on that video the person literally just appears. Would you cross a road in the pitch black and somehow not see a car with git massive headlights?

Save for regressive road design that isn’t suitable for vegans or whatever.

You just sound like you’re desperate to blame the technology, for whatever reason.

You might even be right but on that video the person literally just appears. Would you cross a road in the pitch black and somehow not see a car with git massive headlights?

I'm not sure why exactly but he and a few others don't like this tech.

Its an algorithm. How can you not like an algorithm.

Despite all the progress in computerised systems and vast amounts of research since then, none are 100% reliable and they are still prone to crashing and causing chaos on a widespread scale in some instances.

What reason is there for believing that vehicle control systems will be 100% reliable or anywhere close, bearing in mind the vast complexities of the Worlds road and traffic systems ?

Furthermore who is to say they will be secure from outside interference or sabotage if vast amounts of Govt spending is far from solving such problems today ?

We haven’t even developed a reasonably reliable system for keeping vehicles secure yet and recent so called hi tech advances actually appear to make vehicles even less secure than previously.

I don’t say totally independent and reliable vehicle control systems can never take over, I simply say there is a hell of a long way to go before they become the norm.

Well the tech has literally just killed someone, I think it's right to show concern. That's not an unreasonable opinion to hold, is it? I am not comfortable with car manufacturers using the roads as a test lab for their products when they're putting human life in danger. Until they can shown in test environments to be able to deal with pedestrians acting spontaneously, or cyclists filtering through traffic (etc.) then I don't think they should be near roads. You can blame the driver, but he is never going to be paying full attention when there's the promise that the vehicle he's in is 'autonomous'.

Also, how does the person just 'appear'? They walk across 3 lanes of traffic while pushing a bike, they weren't even running or moving at any sort of pace. It's a scenario that happens all the time, people crossing major roads not at a designated crossing because A) there isn't one in the first place B) the one there is situated miles away C) because the road has severed connections between places for anyone not in a car. It doesn't leave people with many options.

Designing a road which has no suitable crossing for a pedestrian is regressive road design. Not sure how anyone could think otherwise. It's how these deaths are more common than they should be.

I'm not desperate to blame the tech, I just think too many have been suckered in with hype. As I've said earlier about AVs, I expect they'll happen but I think their use will end mostly restricted to main roads and long distance travel, which I don't have any issue with.

You can leave the vegan comments at the door, it only makes you look a little precious. ;)

Despite all the progress in computerised systems and vast amounts of research since then, none are 100% reliable and they are still prone to crashing and causing chaos on a widespread scale in some instances.

What reason is there for believing that vehicle control systems will be 100% reliable or anywhere close, bearing in mind the vast complexities of the Worlds road and traffic systems ?

Furthermore who is to say they will be secure from outside interference or sabotage if vast amounts of Govt spending is far from solving such problems today ?

We haven’t even developed a reasonably reliable system for keeping vehicles secure yet and recent so called hi tech advances actually appear to make vehicles even less secure than previously.

I don’t say totally independent and reliable vehicle control systems can never take over, I simply say there is a hell of a long way to go before they become the norm.

It doesn't need to be 100% reliable. It needs to be more reliable than human beings.

It's hard to judge the video as cameras and eyes capture lighting differently, so it's possible that a human in the car could have seen her easier than you can see her in that video. But if the video accurately represents the (lack of) visibility then I don't think many drivers would have been able to avert the accident.

Its a totally different tech mate. We're talking machine learning, that learns from its and every other machines mistakes . Totally different to the tech in autopilot. And unfortunately in many respects, it will be much more reliable than us over time.

Think these cars are good ideas for when you've got a long journey and you can kick your feet up on the motorway however I'm comfortable knowing that when I drive my car at high speed I have the responsibility to keep myself and others safe. If I die behind the wheel that's fine, at least it's through my actions and not a computer programs.

Be interesting to see how these things develop, personally would never buy one though. The problem on the roads is that people don't know how to drive, they'll take corners too narrow and have to break. They don't trust the car/ themselves enough to drive it close to the limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't need to be 100% reliable. It needs to be more reliable than human beings.

It's hard to judge the video as cameras and eyes capture lighting differently, so it's possible that a human in the car could have seen her easier than you can see her in that video. But if the video accurately represents the (lack of) visibility then I don't think many drivers would have been able to avert the accident.
This! No doubt people will be saying she couldn't be seen until the last moment but this won't be true at all. The video shows a different lighting to the real life situation when in low light like that. To see this effect, simply record a video on your phone at night and you will see the difference even if you change it to low light setting. The video will just show everything darker if it hasn't got a good light source whereas the human eye will still see things that the camera will just end up recording black.

If you look there are street lights either side right up to where the crash is that will have provided some sort of illumination. These will be lighting the road but the brightness of headlights is then making parts of the video darker than in real life. You get the reverse effect when watching a footy match on TV when bits of ground are brightly lit by sun and hard to see as the camera can't focus on 2 variations of illumination ;)

This video is probably giving people the wrong impression of what the driver would have actually seen. If the driver wasn't pissing about looking down all the time then I'd reckon the cyclist at some point and maybe in enough time to at least swerve out of way. The other thing that shows this video isn't as it would be in real life is the visibility range of the headlights isn't that great as it would make driving at speed very difficult. It's simply the illumination differences causing such dark parts on the video so giving a misleading impression of what would have been by the human eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a crossing just down the road.
Google Maps

Driver, tech AND pedestrian were at fault.

The car was travelling at 40 in a 45 zone.
Tempe Police: Uber Self-Driving Car Didn't Brake 'Significantly' Before Killing Pedestrian

Back