Self build gaming PC advice

I would suggest looking at the prices of parts in isolation from Amazon and overclockers etc then you will have your answer.

The system itself is mid to lower tier performance wise but would still do the job. The 5600x doesn’t have many cores, but is great for gaming as long as you are not multitasking (streaming/recording). The 6600 xt can still probably push 100+ fps at 1080p gaming and maybe 80+ fps at 2040p on many popular titles.

Another consideration is at 500 gb you might be lacking storage depending on how many games you install.

Unfortunately PC’s have gone up in price. Especially graphics cards. It depends what you expect from the machine at that price point too. Good luck!
That is similar to what I built for my son. We had the 5600G rather than the X, which has a built-in GPU and didn't have the liquid cooling or the RC6600 GPU. We built for £585.

The GPU is on Scan for £394, so my rough guess is you could build that for £200-300 less than what Falcon are charging.

Not the right topic but can you get a mouse and keyboard for the new ps or Xbox? I can NOT use a pad and would be a easy decision if I didn’t have to.

Not the right topic but can you get a mouse and keyboard for the new ps or Xbox? I can NOT use a pad and would be a easy decision if I didn’t have to.
I use a mouse and keyboard on Xbox one x for call of duty, assassins creed Valhalla and halo infinite. However, the kbm support for most titles is very much lacking.

The Xbox menu navigation is only possible using arrow keys, enter and windows key to open the overlay menu. Not mouse and it is 100% easier on controller.

I was also using it on PS4 about a year ago (can’t speak for PS5). Driver support is definitely better on Xbox but again, it sometimes works depending on the game.

To summarise, I would say it has partial support. Just don’t expect it to work properly.

I’m getting a PC next week for that exact reason. I prefer kbm.

To complete my post, this is a list of games with kbm support on Xbox:

Games With Mouse & Keyboard Support On Xbox One, Series X, Series S

Last edited:
I use a mouse and keyboard on Xbox one x for call of duty, assassins creed Valhalla and halo infinite. However, the kbm support for most titles is very much lacking.

The Xbox menu navigation is only possible using arrow keys, enter and windows key to open the overlay menu. Not mouse and it is 100% easier on controller.

I was also using it on PS4 about a year ago (can’t speak for PS5). Driver support is definitely better on Xbox but again, it sometimes works depending on the game.

To summarise, I would say it has partial support. Just don’t expect it to work properly.

I’m getting a PC next week for that exact reason. I prefer kbm.

To complete my post, this is a list of games with kbm support on Xbox:

Games With Mouse & Keyboard Support On Xbox One, Series X, Series S
Cheers mate

Definitely the series x but it'll depend on which one. The bairn uses a wireless logitech mouse and keyboard on his. We bought a gaming mouse and keyboard fornthe little one and it doesn't work on the series s

On building my new PC at the moment, going to pack in for the night - realised I need better light for all the cabling.

That Intel CPU wasn't much fun. Took a while to figure out which way it went in (the old triangle doesn't really work anymore - its slightly off-centre notches now!) and then the socket closing mechanism felt WAY too firm to be right. It wasn't, it was fine.
Then had to figure out how the stock cooler installed with barely any instruction. You literally just push-fit it into the holes where you'd usually install a mounting plate on the backside of the board. Very fiddly and felt very cheap. Not entirely convinced one of the corners is in properly, but I guess I'll see what the temps look like - if its crap, I might just buy a decent cooler instead.

M2 ssd was a new one, came with a retaining plug thingy rather than a simple screw to hold it in place, not sure what the point of that is!
Added a couple of standoffs and the board went in fairly well, and the PSU is screwed on now.

The nightmare bit is really going to be all the cables, there's millions of the buggers, especially with the 3 RGB fans needing going to a separate hub.
I remember why I haven't done this in years now :lol:

I'm really surprised at how small it all is though, its really compact, I like it a lot.

On building my new PC at the moment, going to pack in for the night - realised I need better light for all the cabling.

That Intel CPU wasn't much fun. Took a while to figure out which way it went in (the old triangle doesn't really work anymore - its slightly off-centre notches now!) and then the socket closing mechanism felt WAY too firm to be right. It wasn't, it was fine.
Then had to figure out how the stock cooler installed with barely any instruction. You literally just push-fit it into the holes where you'd usually install a mounting plate on the backside of the board. Very fiddly and felt very cheap. Not entirely convinced one of the corners is in properly, but I guess I'll see what the temps look like - if its crap, I might just buy a decent cooler instead.

M2 ssd was a new one, came with a retaining plug thingy rather than a simple screw to hold it in place, not sure what the point of that is!
Added a couple of standoffs and the board went in fairly well, and the PSU is screwed on now.

The nightmare bit is really going to be all the cables, there's millions of the buggers, especially with the 3 RGB fans needing going to a separate hub.
I remember why I haven't done this in years now :lol:

I'm really surprised at how small it all is though, its really compact, I like it a lot.
The PSU I had, had loads of cables I didn’t need, but they all stuffed into a space in the bottom of the case that you can’t see when the sides are on. Not neat but fine.

The PSU I had, had loads of cables I didn’t need, but they all stuffed into a space in the bottom of the case that you can’t see when the sides are on. Not neat but fine.
Yeah, unfortunately it’s the only thing you can do in that situation. I learned my lesson from previous PC builds to get a modular PSU. Might be something you could do in the future if it bothers you when you go to upgrade.

Yeah, if you don't have a fully modular PSU, that's all you can ever do.
Well, its all together and cabled up - and after a little issue with the ram not being properly seated, its booting to bios now.
Need to sort the chassis fans next, then tidy all the cables and it'll be ready for an OS.

I forgot how much I don't really like doing this stuff!

Last edited:
Yeah, if you don't have a fully modular PSU, that's all you can ever do.
Well, its all together and cabled up - and after a little issue with the ram not being properly seated, its booting to bios now.
Need to sort the chassis fans next, then tidy all the cables and it'll be ready for an OS.

I forgot how much I don't really like doing this stuff!
It will be worth it in the end! I’ve just finished my setup tonight with OS and all. I’m like a kid at Christmas. :lol:

Bugger, only one fan header on the board. But 3 fans.
Need to order a splitter

But, tested it all last night in cinebench and furmark, and it's all working grand

Just checked the prices for 3090’s and 3080’s 😂 fuck that. I used to build me own back in the day and for 1500 quid would have something very competent. Can’t even get the graphics card for that price.

Just checked the prices for 3090’s and 3080’s 😂 fuck that. I used to build me own back in the day and for 1500 quid would have something very competent. Can’t even get the graphics card for that price.
You almost have no choice other than to try to grab a Founders Edition off Scan at the moment. Paid £370 for my 3060ti
£650 for a 3080.

That's the only way to get MSRP at the moment. If anyone needs to know how to get them, just let me know.
hahahaha, just found a fan splitter in the motherboard accessory pack.
Glad I ordered one this morning and its already been dispatched :lol:

Last edited:
You almost have no choice other than to try to grab a Founders Edition off Scan at the moment. Paid £370 for my 3060ti
£650 for a 3080.

That's the only way to get MSRP at the moment. If anyone needs to know how to get them, just let me know.
hahahaha, just found a fan splitter in the motherboard accessory pack.
Glad I ordered one this morning and its already been dispatched :lol:
Thinking about building once when I eventually move, if you’re able to help in a month or so I’d appreciate that.

That's it, all done. Hilariously, the glass panel goes against the drawers, so you can't see it. Didn't want any RGB shite in the first place, and I've set the lights to just white anyway.

Need KVM or something now though, as I can't be moving this USB hub from under the desk to into the works laptop every time.

That's it, all done. Hilariously, the glass panel goes against the drawers, so you can't see it. Didn't want any RGB shite in the first place, and I've set the lights to just white anyway.

Need KVM or something now though, as I can't be moving this USB hub from under the desk to into the works laptop every time.
There is another option to a KVM which I personally prefer. The KVM wires get on my nerves haha. You may not want any of this but just thought I would put it out there mate.

You could get a keyboard that has Bluetooth profile switching or a usb c one that is removable from the back of the keyboard and run separate wires to each pc. Example:

Keychron K6 68-Key Wireless Bluetooth/USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, Compact 65% ISO-UK-Layout RGB LED Backlit N-Key Rollover Aluminum Frame for Mac Windows, Gateron Blue Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZSZNSR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RPA92QKHXMQ9A287ZHQ0

As for a mouse, you could buy a second compact wireless one that you throw to one side depending on which device you use.

Alternatively, Logitech has an interesting concept called “Flow” but most work devices won’t allow you to install software so most likely this one isn’t possible:
How to Use Logitech Flow for Mice and Keyboards Across Multiple Computers

Back