Seaham car park charging being introduced.

Has anyone ever seen or heard the chief executive
Thought not
These people just hover around in the shadows

Had a discussion with him a few year on behalf of someone close to me who took Durham Council Children Services to the cleaners, fair to say he was absolutely thick as shit and had no answers to the findings of his workforce in Children Services which were found by an independent tribunal to be well below expected standards.

Had a discussion with him a few year on behalf of someone close to me who took Durham Council Children Services to the cleaners, fair to say he was absolutely thick as shit and had no answers to the findings of his workforce in Children Services which were found by an independent tribunal to be well below expected standards.
This whole leader and ceo of councils is very blurred

The top 5/6 in the council at Durham costing 1.1 million in salaries. Ridiculous

Frustrating but I can see this just been the start, £3 will become £4 within a year or so. Charging to park at Crimdon is ridiculous
A quick google around and up pops an article about Durham Council having significant funding problems £400+ million debt) needs to save £58+ million in 4 years bla bla. Blaming parking charges with climate emergency is just absolute 100% pure political 🐂💩 and nobody but nobody is buying it.
ps: Does anyone know what the 'Leader Of The Council' gets paid and know why it is such a difficult figure to find out ?

Are those councillor allowances?
No
A quick google around and up pops an article about Durham Council having significant funding problems £400+ million debt) needs to save £58+ million in 4 years bla bla. Blaming parking charges with climate emergency is just absolute 100% pure political 🐂💩 and nobody but nobody is buying it.
ps: Does anyone know what the 'Leader Of The Council' gets paid and know why it is such a difficult figure to find out ?
Isn't the 'leader of the council"' the chief executive?

Last edited:
Look on the right hand side under the Council badge where it says Leadership 👍
Right yeah.
In that case (as is at a council I used to work for), the 'leader' would then be one of the councillors
I don't think the actual cllrs get paid that much tbh. It's the actual employees at the top who get the big money
Yeah.
And with everything else, some councillors are in it for what they can get, but others aren't.

My partner's parents were councillors and used to spend a lot of their own money on things for their local community, and also have put a lot of work in themselves - stuff like clearing snow from outside of pensioners homes.

Last edited:
Right yeah.
In that case (as is at a council I used to work for), the 'leader' would then be one of the councillors

Yeah.
And with everything else, some councillors are in it for what they can get, but others aren't.

My partner's parents were councillors and used to spend a lot of their own money on things for their local community, and also have put a lot of work in themselves - stuff like clearing snow from outside of pensioners homes.
There some eye watering council salaries.
According to the "Taxpayers Alliance" (and this data has been re-published in The Telegraph and probably others) check out the Director of Neighbourhoods on Sunderland Council under the heading 'In The Northeast'.
Surely that can't be one wage for one person can it ? :eek: 🤔

Don't know why the 'Leader Of The Council' salary is so hard to find online (Amanda Hopgood I think) although it's probably in this document somewhere...

Because they aren't on a salary. There'll be a separate link somewhere detailing councillor allowances
disgraceful those salaries.

206k ffs

It's the going rate for a council CEO. How much do you think they should get & why?
Isn't the 'leader of the council"' the chief executive?

Is the prime minister & permanent secretary to the cabinet office (head of the civil service) the same job? No.
Don't know why the 'Leader Of The Council' salary is so hard to find online (Amanda Hopgood I think) although it's probably in this document somewhere...

Is it hard to find?
I found it with 1 Google search

£36.5k for position of leader plus the standard £13,300 Councillor allowance, so about £50k

Last edited:
Because they aren't on a salary. There'll be a separate link somewhere detailing councillor allowances

It's the going rate for a council CEO. How much do you think they should get & why?

Is the prime minister & permanent secretary to the cabinet office (head of the civil service) the same job? No.

Is it hard to find?

£36.5k for position of leader plus the standard £13,300 Councillor allowance, so about £50k
150k tops which is what the PM (irrelevant of party) gets.

Is it hard to find?

150k tops which is what the PM (irrelevant of party) gets. Top brass in the public sector massively overpaid, same in the NHS, rotten.
They mentioned "climate emergency" as one of the reasons to introduce car parking charges. That very same "climate emergency" doesn't exist at County Hall in Durham.

Last edited:

In charge of a budget of £1.3bn and 18000 employees? NLW should suffice really. I mean it's £11.48 an hour from today, what more do they want?

In the real world the CEO of a company with a similar budget etc would command probably 10 times that. For instance Alistair Phillips-Davies, CEO of SSE gets £1m a year salary and £4m in other renumeration.

150k tops which is what the PM (irrelevant of party) gets.

150k tops which is what the PM (irrelevant of party) gets. Top brass in the public sector massively overpaid, same in the NHS, rotten.

They mentioned "climate emergency" as one of the reasons to introduce car parking charges. That very same "climate emergency" doesn't exist at County Hall in Durham.

The pm is the head elected bod who's equivalent on the council earns £50k
The government's equivalent of council ceo earns about £400k

Back