Seaham car park charging being introduced.

Was talking about this last night to a friend who goes to Crimdon to walk the dog and she's said she'll just go to the Headland beach now which is what we intend to do.

The Seaham parking charges are just ridiculous, zero consideration for anyone as it was always their intention to raise money via car parking as was disclosed in the cabinet meeting when they got challenged about it.

Still find it "amusing" they are yet to disclose the cost of setting all this up, all at the time council tax has gone up
Abdolutely tragic that. Had a go st my dad and his mates for stating the same.
Why the fuck would you begrudge yourself a daily pleasure over a quid? Its an absolute pittance.

I dont agree with the charges either but to scrap a lovely walk for wandering about the headland for sake of a quid is barmy. It’ll cost you more than that to drive thr extra few miles!!!

If they paid 1/3 of thst they’d still get competent people

A £70k salary to get someone competent and capable to run a council with a budget of over a billion pounds and 18,000 staff? About the same or less than a headteacher? Or a contract catering account manager or a restaurant manager in the West End or someone selling software to law companies with three years experience, or an actuary in their late 20s, or...

Why the fuck would you begrudge yourself a daily pleasure over a quid? Its an absolute pittance.

I dont agree with the charges either but to scrap a lovely walk for wandering about the headland for sake of a quid is barmy. It’ll cost you more than that to drive thr extra few miles!!!
I think it will be principle for a lot of people and it will be £3 for more than an hour. I'm not overly keen on Crimdon to be honest and much prefer the Headland (easier for the wife with her mobility also as it's all flat at Headland). I think with this it will be a principle thing for a lot of people.

I think it will be principle for a lot of people and it will be £3 for more than an hour. I'm not overly keen on Crimdon to be honest and much prefer the Headland (easier for the wife with her mobility also as it's all flat at Headland). I think with this it will be a principle thing for a lot of people.
Fair enough.

I think for anyone who prefers Crimdon its senseless to walk an hour elsewhere over a quid.

Heard yesterday, Crimdon charges due to start this week had been delayed for whatever reason

Shouldn't be charges, but agree, its not much, people don't seem to get wound up about paying to use a public toilet or withdraw money from cash machine, its just this fashion lately of bashing the council for everything and anything, without knowing the facts behind things.

People could easily park at Hart Station, walk up the Hart to Haswell or park at Blackhall Rocks and walk around there. Think Crimdon has become one of those TO BE SEEN at places, people showing off their multiple designer dogs etc. The majority of those moaning will pay up, as they always do in the UK, all wind and piss, no fight in them, if they got together and did something about it, who knows, the council might reconsider.

Last edited:
Heard yesterday, Crimdon charges due to start this week had been delayed for whatever reason

Shouldn't be charges, but agree, its not much, people don't seem to get wound up about paying to use a public toilet or withdraw money from cash machine, its just this fashion lately of bashing the council for everything and anything, without knowing the facts behind things.

People could easily park at Hart Station, walk up the Hart to Haswell or park at Blackhall Rocks and walk around there. Think Crimdon has become one of those TO BE SEEN at places, people showing off their multiple designer dogs etc. The majority of those moaning will pay up, as they always do in the UK, all wind and piss, no fight in them, if they got together and did something about it, who knows, the council might reconsider.

I think the facts behind it is what is pissing people off. "Climate Emergency" is what was quoted numerous times in the cabinet meeting (link on this page), whilst at the same time they won't introduce parking fees at County Hall, so how exactly is that tackling their "climate emergency". As was pointed out in the cabinet meeting, these proposals were always going to be approved despite the massive overwhelming objections as council papers listed car parking as a way to bring in money, so the consultation was a complete waste of time for the general public and the council were never going to listen. I'll take their "facts" more seriously if they started to charge at County Hall, but for now my view is this is just a money grab on the general public, it has nothing to do about "climate emergency". If I'm going to make the effort to go to Crimdon for a walk it will cost me £3 for car parking as I'd be there more than an hour, so I'd much rather just drive a few mile further to the Headland. They also said car parking is in high demand at Seaham....... it really isn't. If I ever need to go to Crimdon I'll park at my mates caravan :lol::lol:

I think the facts behind it is what is pissing people off. "Climate Emergency" is what was quoted numerous times in the cabinet meeting (link on this page), whilst at the same time they won't introduce parking fees at County Hall, so how exactly is that tackling their "climate emergency". As was pointed out in the cabinet meeting, these proposals were always going to be approved despite the massive overwhelming objections as council papers listed car parking as a way to bring in money, so the consultation was a complete waste of time for the general public and the council were never going to listen. I'll take their "facts" more seriously if they started to charge at County Hall, but for now my view is this is just a money grab on the general public, it has nothing to do about "climate emergency". If I'm going to make the effort to go to Crimdon for a walk it will cost me £3 for car parking as I'd be there more than an hour, so I'd much rather just drive a few mile further to the Headland. They also said car parking is in high demand at Seaham....... it really isn't. If I ever need to go to Crimdon I'll park at my mates caravan :lol::lol:
40 going on 75 you whed! 😂

Not sure of the reasons behind it, I heard it was because of too many cars at peak periods. These public meetings are a joke, I remember the public consultation about the new transport interchange at Hartlepool, I seem to remember they had actually started doing the groundworks before the consultation had even taken place, just a cosmetic exercise to give the impression of democracy and transparency, when we all know those things are just an illusion in the UK at the moment. I do believe there is a climate problem if not an emergency, but charging people who go for a walk in an area with chronic obesity and health problems is the wrong group to target, when at the same time they are running down public transport and building retail parks, industrial estates and housing estates in the middle of nowhere, that necessitate the use of a car. I do not believe workers should be charged for parking where they work, but I believe DCC are looking to build a brand new County Hall, that can't be right, given the current economic conditions.

How much do people think a Chief Executive should be paid for being head of an organisation turning over the best part of half a billion pounds with staff of around 8,000 people?

The success and failure of said organisation having an impact on the health and well being of around half a million people.

Last edited:

If you're there over an hour it's 3 quid. If you do it on a daily basis, which a lot of people do, that's a canny weekly extra cost you didn't have previously. People are struggling to pay essential bills now they don't need these extra charges. Council should have waited till we're all a bit more affluent and prices for life's basics have come down. So sometime never.

If you're there over an hour it's 3 quid. If you do it on a daily basis, which a lot of people do, that's a canny weekly extra cost you didn't have previously. People are struggling to pay essential bills now they don't need these extra charges. Council should have waited till we're all a bit more affluent and prices for life's basics have come down. So sometime never.
Yeh I as refering to my days 2 or 3 short walks a week mate, so just a couple of quid. Profesional dog walkers etc may need to replan like @£15 a week.

I haveI lived in Seaham since 1999 and the car parking is always an issue on the front on a weekend especially in the summer.
Fair do. Never had an issue where I've had to drive away like the council fella stated. Been going to Seaham for decades, my Dad helped build most of that front and the steps etc at the council. Famously knocked Barclays bank out once cutting thru cables with the JCB :lol:

Back