Seaham car park charging being introduced.

I believe DCC are looking to build a brand new County Hall, that can't be right, given the current economic conditions.

They had one and sold it to the university as a political point scoring exercise.

I can’t work out what the fuck difference all that work on the a19 slip road near the lodge lights will make. Tail backs to seaton all the time.

That is only going ahead so that Sunderland and Durham councils can get planning permission for developments on their respective areas around the A1018. It will make little difference to the residents of Seaton Lane as nearly all the traffic at the lodge turns right or goes straight down Byron Walk anyway, and realistically no one is going to go a much longer route around.

Apart from food festival, carnival and firework weekends it's always been pretty straightforward to get parked in seaham. It obviously helps if you know the best places to go but it's not like there's double parking all over when it's a bog standard weekend with nowt on

Fair do. Never had an issue where I've had to drive away like the council fella stated. Been going to Seaham for decades, my Dad helped build most of that front and the steps etc at the council. Famously knocked Barclays bank out once cutting thru cables with the JCB :lol:
When we go to seaham Saturdays we park in that carpark behind Calvert's or the Aldi overflow carpark. We've never once had bother getting parked. Went one Saturday and a traveling fairground had taken out a big carpark. We still got parked and the place was pretty much packed.
No doubt the council will target all the carparks soon and that will end.

They had one and sold it to the university as a political point scoring exercise.

That is only going ahead so that Sunderland and Durham councils can get planning permission for developments on their respective areas around the A1018. It will make little difference to the residents of Seaton Lane as nearly all the traffic at the lodge turns right or goes straight down Byron Walk anyway, and realistically no one is going to go a much longer route around.
Aye that’s what I thought. Utter waste of cash.
When we go to seaham Saturdays we park in that carpark behind Calvert's or the Aldi overflow carpark. We've never once had bother getting parked. Went one Saturday and a traveling fairground had taken out a big carpark. We still got parked and the place was pretty much packed.
Aye. Coastal ones first then town centre ones. Nailed on.

That Aldi one is already privately owned and it has a time limit on it, if you go over you get a ticket. Loads of people were getting them when Martino's were still open so be careful. I think that area that the fairground is on has planning permission for a car park and will be chargeable. Its listed as Dock Top car park here and it shows the pending charges but I heard it was going to be tarmacced and laid out properly first

That Aldi one is already privately owned and it has a time limit on it, if you go over you get a ticket. Loads of people were getting them when Martino's were still open so be careful. I think that area that the fairground is on has planning permission for a car park and will be chargeable. Its listed as Dock Top car park here and it shows the pending charges but I heard it was going to be tarmacced and laid out properly first
A few years ago the fair was on the carpark where Barclays Bank was for some reason. That's the carpark I said was taken out. If I park in aldis overflow I don't overstay the time allowed. It's a canny length of time anyway more than enough.

Not sure of the reasons behind it, I heard it was because of too many cars at peak periods. These public meetings are a joke, I remember the public consultation about the new transport interchange at Hartlepool, I seem to remember they had actually started doing the groundworks before the consultation had even taken place, just a cosmetic exercise to give the impression of democracy and transparency, when we all know those things are just an illusion in the UK at the moment. I do believe there is a climate problem if not an emergency, but charging people who go for a walk in an area with chronic obesity and health problems is the wrong group to target, when at the same time they are running down public transport and building retail parks, industrial estates and housing estates in the middle of nowhere, that necessitate the use of a car. I do not believe workers should be charged for parking where they work, but I believe DCC are looking to build a brand new County Hall, that can't be right, given the current economic conditions.
They’re building a new new one after the original replacement was sold to the uni. The latest one is up by the hospital and the existing county hall and it’s been a predictable fiasco so far.

If i remember right, there was a public consultation on what should be built on the tempest site. Overwhelmingly people wanted leisure facilities and a pool to replace the pit pond and Murton pools, with some housing and retail. Did they listen?

Whed will be pleased to know that DCC will be charging their staff £50 a month to park in the HQ car park. They will also be charging councillors, but they can claim it back.

Apart from food festival, carnival and firework weekends it's always been pretty straightforward to get parked in seaham. It obviously helps if you know the best places to go but it's not like there's double parking all over when it's a bog standard weekend with nowt on
Every weekend in the summer is chocker. Try getting a space along the seafront between 10am - 3pm. Hardly straightforward as you say.
Love all these Hordeners and Wheatley Hillers being experts.

Last edited:
Been down for a short walk in the torrential hossing rain today. From what I could see there were (at Tommy)
about 7 Car-Park-Somethings (signs ? cameras ?) & 3 Car-Park-Machines and then
along the Promenade past the Field Gun, just one Car-Park-Something after another after another after another.
I don't know what the Somethings are because they've got black plastic covering them ower.
See what it looks like next week when they're unveiled.

???

I pay £22 a month for parking. Those preaching "climate disaster" should set an example
I pay 26 quid. 50 is disgusting.
Read about 20 different comments from fuming people endorsing vandalising the new parking machines. 🙂

Still free before 8am mate
Nice one. Can be down and away before the charges kick in. 👍

Last edited:
I drove along Seaham front during the last school holiday and there were plenty of empty spaces. There were a few beside where Tommy is as well.
Now that was a Tuesday early afternoon but given it was a school holiday I expected it to be full. It wasn't full, nowhere near it. So a non holiday Tuesday will have even more spaces empty.
If this so called problem is so big that the council claim it is affecting local businesses, then why are there so many empty spaces? If the problem is only on a weekend then just charge at weekends.
Or they could just be honest and say the reason for the charging is to make money. Instead of the lies the public are fed.

We tend to go on a sunday teatime for a stroll. Noticed last couple of weeks been really quiet. I wonder if the perception that parking charges had already started was having an effect. Definitely more spaces on main road since the start of April

Back