Seaburn Dene, Dovedale Road, Kentmere, Staveley Rd Alston Cres etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love owt like that, me, like.

My house was on the odd side backing on to the Metro line only a few up from Happy Alan's paper shop. Loved the big back garden that wasn't overlooked and the flexibility that we had due to the design of the house. Extended the kitchen both sideways to where one would normally have a garage and also broke through into the dining room, making it as wide as the whole f***ing plot. Great for parties.

Then the bitch wife wanted to downsize so we sold it & bought a terraced cottage off Sea Road. 18 months later, all the f***ing equity we'd made from selling Alston was used up extending the twat into a 4 bed friggin' mansion.

Like Annie Street? They're tiny! But they do go back a fair bit from the street, iirc.

Aye.

South Bents is known to me as Corn Beef Island like, for the same reasons.

Dene estate, or certainly the new bit, was built by the Lane-Fox family, and it's true about the Lane Arms, he should have called it the Vain Arms the narcissistic fucker.

The Lane-Fox family own a large tract of land in Yorkshire where the Leeds festival is held every year. The original plans for the estate were for larger and fewer houses, but Lane Fox got greedy and crammed as many houses on as possible, hence the design of the estate with the little cul de sacs occupying every little bit of space. The 'area' in the middle of the Hawes Court, Martindale Ave 'triangle' was supposed to be a grassed area for kids to play on, but they built houses on it. They also reduced what was an all 3 bed room semi estate to include 2 bedrooms as well, to get more houses on. The construction of the houses isn't the best according to my dar who reckons there 'isn't a straight wall on the estate' The original estate ended at Ambleside then the rest was built later, you could actually see the break between the two sides of Alston on the train track side but I think an extension is in the gap now, although you can still find where it is as the numbers curiously jump from 113 - 127 or summit like that.

When it was built it was known as 'Copper Alley' due to the large number of police who moved in.

So this is the location? Jumps from 97 to 123 looks like.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...4!1su_VZMIB8x8QBvq8lcQe1Ig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:

My sister lived in Torver Crescent and I remember 1963 was scratched in some cement in her loft. Apparently that street was the last to be built.

I lived on Lunedale. Pretty sure we moved there in 1957 because that is the year I would have started school and we moved there so I could start at Fulwell Infants. Everything north of Dovedale (Lunedale and Staveley) was built first because I remember all the kids used to play on the building site on Alston Crescent.

I think Monkwearmouth opened in 1963. I started there in 1964 but I think it opened the year before that

Like Annie Street? They're tiny! But they do go back a fair bit from the street, iirc.

So this is the location? Jumps from 97 to 123 looks like.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...4!1su_VZMIB8x8QBvq8lcQe1Ig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Aye that's it, thought they built an extension but it was that arched gate.

No idea why the numbers jump like, theres a few streets in Sunderland with missing numbers which are normally put down to bomb damage, but that won't be the case here. Howard Street for example only has one house, number 7, cos the others were bombed. It's f***ing massive like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back