Seaburn Dene, Dovedale Road, Kentmere, Staveley Rd Alston Cres etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
The house I had in Alston Crescent (low numbers at the station end) was built in the 1937-38 era, hence some of the Art Deco embellishments.

Building stopped at c. #80 when WW2 started, and begun ahead heading towards the pub at the bottom. You can see where the building stopped and then started as there's a much wider gap between the semis at the top of Keswick Avenue.

NB: this s where Seaburn Dene starts. One must not suggest the lower numbers of Alston Crescent are anywhere other than Fulwell.

The closer you get to Monkwearmouth School, the more modern he houses are. He the smaller they are, too.

Get into Lunedale Avenue and the drives might get a Mini on the them and that's it. The roads are a lot narrower, too.

Having said that, there are a good number of desperate housewives and MILFS that live there.

Can anyone tell me when this estate was built? Following on from the pubs of old Sunderland thread I saw an OS map from 1961 which does not show the development, yet I thought it was built just after WW2.

Any local historians?

Edit: this article says 1959-1960!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaburn_Dene

Some pre-war, some post-war.

The bit between Sea Road, Dene Lane & Dykelands Road (the D streets) was originally called Mere Knolls Estate.

Last edited:
I lived in dovedale. The chimney breast in the loft had a name and 1959 scratched in it.
Ours had a drawing of Donald Duck on it. In the loft mind. I wonder if this was a tradition down there?

The house I had in Alston Crescent (low numbers at the station end) was built in the 1937-38 era, hence some of the Art Deco embellishments.

Building stopped at c. #80 when WW2 started, and begun ahead heading towards the pub at the bottom. You can see where the building stopped and then started as there's a much wider gap between the semis at the top of Keswick Avenue.

NB: this s where Seaburn Dene starts. One must not suggest the lower numbers of Alston Crescent are anywhere other than Fulwell.

The closer you get to Monkwearmouth School, the more modern he houses are. He the smaller they are, too.

Get into Lunedale Avenue and the drives might get a Mini on the them and that's it. The roads are a lot narrower, too.

Having said that, there are a good number of desperate housewives and MILFS that live there.
And extremely hot lesbians.

Cairns Road might have been named after the builder George Cairns who built a lot of houses in Herrington in the early/mid 30s (thus Cairnside).

i was told the flat roof houses on fulwell road were build like that because they were post war where materials were scarce, whereas the estate behind was pre-war.

Was there ever a fish and chip shop on Dovedale road? the front of Wok and Go looks like it was a fish shop but I cant remember.
if there are any empty units there I am surprised no one has bothered to open one.

Was there ever a fish and chip shop on Dovedale road? the front of Wok and Go looks like it was a fish shop but I cant remember.
if there are any empty units there I am surprised no one has bothered to open one.

The locals are not happy about another one opening in the old Barclays on Sea Road.

Me Aunt Eadie moved into Dykelands Road in 1939 (just before war was declared!) as a brand new build. According to me mam Alston and the Seaburn Dene Estate was then built as part of the post war boom!

It’s been a chinkys since at least 1972. Used to have rats come into our garden (Hawes Court) from there. Also featured an opium den upstairs.

Reactions: ozz

Gotcha, I assume one of the larger numbers.

Not that I'm one to slight anyone's character, but my ex-wife (may she rot in hell even she's not dead yet which is a shame) used to jest that Seaburn Dene should be called Debtor's Retreat.

Not that I'm one to slight anyone's character, but my ex-wife (may she rot in hell even she's not dead yet which is a shame) used to jest that Seaburn Dene should be called Debtor's Retreat.

I've heard it referred to as Corned Beef Island by a previous landlord of the Lane Arms (now Bellinis). Apparently many towns have areas known as Corned Beef Avenue. They are where people are so stretched funding their apparent lifestyles and mortgages, that they can only afford corned beef and not steak.

Incidentally, the Lane Arms was so named because a builder called Lane built the estate. Apparently. This was info from an old boy who dwells in Staveley Road.

The locals are not happy about another one opening in the old Barclays on Sea Road.

We got a flyer from there delivered into our mailbox today. It's called Barbel and we are encouraged to feast on freshness. Their "signature" cod is 12oz. Is that as big as the ones at Fountains at Carley Ill?

Last edited:

Aye.

I've heard it referred to as Corned Beef Island by a previous landlord of the Lane Arms (now Bellinis). Apparently many towns have areas known as Corned Beef Avenue. They are where people are so stretched funding their apparent lifestyles and mortgages, that they can only afford corned beef and not steak.

Incidentally, the Lane Arms was so named because a builder called Lane built the estate. Apparently. This was info from an old boy who dwells in Staveley Road.

We got a flyer from there delivered into our mailbox today. It's called Barbel and we are encouraged to feast on freshness. Their "signature" cod is 12oz. Is that as big as the ones at Fountains at Carley Ill?

South Bents is known to me as Corn Beef Island like, for the same reasons.

Dene estate, or certainly the new bit, was built by the Lane-Fox family, and it's true about the Lane Arms, he should have called it the Vain Arms the narcissistic fucker.

The Lane-Fox family own a large tract of land in Yorkshire where the Leeds festival is held every year. The original plans for the estate were for larger and fewer houses, but Lane Fox got greedy and crammed as many houses on as possible, hence the design of the estate with the little cul de sacs occupying every little bit of space. The 'area' in the middle of the Hawes Court, Martindale Ave 'triangle' was supposed to be a grassed area for kids to play on, but they built houses on it. They also reduced what was an all 3 bed room semi estate to include 2 bedrooms as well, to get more houses on. The construction of the houses isn't the best according to my dar who reckons there 'isn't a straight wall on the estate' The original estate ended at Ambleside then the rest was built later, you could actually see the break between the two sides of Alston on the train track side but I think an extension is in the gap now, although you can still find where it is as the numbers curiously jump from 113 - 127 or summit like that.

When it was built it was known as 'Copper Alley' due to the large number of police who moved in.

Last edited:
The Lane-Fox family own a large tract of land in Yorkshire where the Leeds festival is held every year. The original plans for the estate were for larger and fewer houses, but Lane Fox got greedy and crammed as many houses on as possible, hence the design of the estate with the little cul de sacs occupying every little bit of space. The 'area' in the middle of the Hawes Court, Martindale Ave 'triangle' was supposed to be a grassed area for kids to play on, but they built houses on it. They also reduced what was an all 3 bed room semi estate to include 2 bedrooms as well, to get more houses on. The construction of the houses isn't the best according to my dar who reckons there 'isn't a straight wall on the estate' The original estate ended at Ambleside then the rest was built later, you could actually see the break between the two sides of Alston on the train track side but I think an extension is in the gap now, although you can still find where it is as the numbers curiously jump from 113 - 127 or summit like that.

When it was built it was known as 'Copper Alley' due to the large number of police who moved in.

Love owt like that, me, like.

My house was on the odd side backing on to the Metro line only a few up from Happy Alan's paper shop. Loved the big back garden that wasn't overlooked and the flexibility that we had due to the design of the house. Extended the kitchen both sideways to where one would normally have a garage and also broke through into the dining room, making it as wide as the whole f***ing plot. Great for parties.

Then the bitch wife wanted to downsize so we sold it & bought a terraced cottage off Sea Road. 18 months later, all the f***ing equity we'd made from selling Alston was used up extending the twat into a 4 bed friggin' mansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back