Seaburn Dene, Dovedale Road, Kentmere, Staveley Rd Alston Cres etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am sure that I can remember it being still under construction when I was about eight or nine which would make it around 1960. Hylton Red House and Town End Farm came in to being about the same time.

I think they built the main bit that they call Dene Estate, around the Monkeyhouse later in the 60s, but I think those houses of that style on Dykelands and Alston Crescent were there before that. My Grandmother used to live on Conniston Avenue and they moved in to it new in the 30s I think. I'm sure it was before the war, Cairns road was there too, so I suppose all of those Lake District ones were the first wave.

I think they built the main bit that they call Dene Estate, around the Monkeyhouse later in the 60s, but I think those houses of that style on Dykelands and Alston Crescent were there before that. My Grandmother used to live on Conniston Avenue and they moved in to it new in the 30s I think. I'm sure it was before the war, Cairns road was there too, so I suppose all of those Lake District ones were the first wave.

Yes the map showed Coniston, Cairns Road, Keswick Avenue and Ambleside Terrace. Ambleside was the limit of the development. We looked at a house in Ambleside Terrace and an old lad I knew told me Ambleside was the last of the roads to be built before the war. So presumably all the rest were developed in 1959-60.

I moved to Alston Crescent sometime around 1967. I think Monkey House was built but Seaburn Dene Primary wasn't finished as I did my first year of infants at Redby.

Wiki says the estate was laid out in 1959-60. No idea if that's when building started.

Didn't @gillythedilf say some were built after the war by soldiers and are falling to bits?

Did an extension in Dykelands Rd a while ago and the brickwork in the existing house ,and next door to that and next door to that etc had a pig in it(course out of level)

Old gadgie who worked with me at the time(in his 70's) said after the war loads of soilders were fast tracked onto the buildings ,he said loads of them were on the seaburn dene estate etc hence the shite brickwork on the estate.

Could be a load of shite ,seems plausible to me at the time.

Yes the map showed Coniston, Cairns Road, Keswick Avenue and Ambleside Terrace. Ambleside was the limit of the development. We looked at a house in Ambleside Terrace and an old lad I knew told me Ambleside was the last of the roads to be built before the war. So presumably all the rest were developed in 1959-60.

Work on Dykelands must have been halted due to the war. When I was doing my house up there I found a bit of newspaper in the downstairs hearth talking about Hitler and a pre war boxing match. I found a scrap used as packing under the original skirting board upstairs dated 1946.

Sounds like it. I think that what we think of as Seaburn Dene isn't always what older people would call Dene Estate.

I had a house in Dykelands that was built in 1950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back