Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

Yes, and so is the second series Deutschland '86. The soundtrack is superb too. Deutschland '89 has already aired on Amazon Prime in Austria & Germany. No idea when its available over here.
From The Guardian article today, Deutschland 89 starts on More4 at 9pm on 26 February.

having watched the final series last month, I think it’s on a par with the first ‘83 season. Intertwined with the events of 89 & 90 really well.

Anybody watched this Norwegian drama ?

watching borgen on Netflix- normally watch it with subtitles but a bit pissed so watched it dubbed into English - blimey those accents are shit like

watching borgen on Netflix- normally watch it with subtitles but a bit pissed so watched it dubbed into English - blimey those accents are shit like
My guilty pleasure when alone is sidse babett knudsen talking in that husky English accent from borgen, I would suggest watching it dubbed in heresy!

I downloaded a copy of the film headhunters about 10 years ago - subtitles were fine but it was dubbed into Russian. I couldn’t get away with it even though I was still reading English subs, it was just wrong!

My guilty pleasure when alone is sidse babett knudsen talking in that husky English accent from borgen, I would suggest watching it dubbed in heresy!

I downloaded a copy of the film headhunters about 10 years ago - subtitles were fine but it was dubbed into Russian. I couldn’t get away with it even though I was still reading English subs, it was just wrong!
Totally agree. Normally don’t but had too much to drink and couldn’t keep up so turned the subtitles on - won’t be doing that again

I can't watch anything dubbed. It's brutal. If I can't get subtitles I give it away. It just loses so much of the acting.

Found that the case with the German show dark. Great TV but almost turned it off after the first episode because of the poor acting.

Switched it to subtitles For the second episode and it was entirely different. Was actually well acted.

Finally got round to watching the Swedish/Danish bridge really enjoyed it.

Hopefully the next couple of series hold up as well.

Give Spiral a go, you won't regret it.
I enjoyed the first series and it's on my list to go back to.
Found that the case with the German show dark. Great TV but almost turned it off after the first episode because of the poor acting.

Switched it to subtitles For the second episode and it was entirely different. Was actually well acted.

Finally got round to watching the Swedish/Danish bridge really enjoyed it.

Hopefully the next couple of series hold up as well.
That's bizarre. Dark is the one I was thinking about as well but in my case I watched the first series with subtitles and loved it. Problem was I was watching it on dodgy tv and the second series was dubbed. Despite what I said earlier about binning it I had to soldier on to get closure. It cheapened it so much with cheesy American accents. I can't remember now if the third was dubbed or subtitles.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first series and it's on my list to go back to.

That's bizarre. Dark is the one I was thinking about as well but in my case I watched the first series with subtitles and loved it. Problem was I was watching it on dodgy tv and the second series was dubbed. Despite what I said earlier about binning it I had to soldier on to get closure. It cheapened it so much with cheesy American accents. I can't remember now if the third was dubbed or subtitles.

It's on Netflix if you ever want to give it another go With a consistent quality platform.

I thought the first two series were excellent, third was decent but got a bit over the top.

I have to admit I gave up with Spiral after about 3 series. First 2 series were excellent, once the lovely lawyer, Gregory Fitoussi left I found it difficult to engage with the other characters - especially Gilou, couldn't bear him and sadly Laure just got on my nerves.

I have to admit I gave up with Spiral after about 3 series. First 2 series were excellent, once the lovely lawyer, Gregory Fitoussi left I found it difficult to engage with the other characters - especially Gilou, couldn't bear him and sadly Laure just got on my nerves.
I'm sure you'd grow to love Gilou, he comes into his own later, I love the way he slaps people all the time :D

Currently watching an Icelandic detective noir called Trapped. Star is a bear-like but intelligent and gentle copper and of course lots of wonderful snowy Icelandic scenery. Finished series one and now into series two. It's on Amazon Prime.

Back