Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

New Danish thing on BBC4 tonight at 9.00 - DNA.

watched the first two episodes tonight, this ticks all the bbc4 scandi noir boxes for me... really enjoyed what i've seen and its reminiscent of why that 9pm saturday night slot become the tv version of hygge.

In the Autumn a brand new crime drama kicks off as well. Called DNA. Will keep yous up-dated.

does this continue as well as the opening two episodes? decent cast list, even the polish lass is good as she was excellent in the beebs drama last year 'the world on fire' - seems typcast as the "polish lass" though...

I'm watching the second series of Occupied on Netflix, saw the first series ages ago but just got back around to it, thoroughly enjoying it.

New Danish thing on BBC4 tonight at 9.00 - DNA.
Im a week behind in this, up to episode 6 of 8... however, i think DNA is the best danish program i've watched in a long time... totally loving this series. with the bairn being older we're not getting to watch it on a saturday night, so fitting it in when we can - but it has the same feel & rythmn as the likes of the killing & bridge et al.

Im a week behind in this, up to episode 6 of 8... however, i think DNA is the best danish program i've watched in a long time... totally loving this series. with the bairn being older we're not getting to watch it on a saturday night, so fitting it in when we can - but it has the same feel & rythmn as the likes of the killing & bridge et al.

I watched the last two episodes yesterday. Really, really good!

Umbre , season 3 just popped up on the site I use for content , never heard of it , so before I start looking for seasons 1 and 2 , anybody review it please ?

Beartown / Bjornstad anyone ? debating whether to dive in or read the book

I recommend you read the book. I loved it. Not the best writing you'll ever see but it pushes all the right buttons. Never thought I could get so excited reading about ice hockey games. The day I finished it I bought the follow up 'Us Against You' as it's basically a continuation of the story.

Finished DNA tonight, still think its the best danish series i've seen in a very long time. i really enjoyed all the episodes and it had a very similar feel to the best of the killing & the bridge et al. Would highly recommend anyone on here to check it out on iplayer if they've not seen it. I've finished off a couple of other danish shows in the last few weeks too...

Forhøret (Face to Face) - short episodes set over a single day, each episode is almost a single scene with a "guest star", all the usual suspects from the various scandi series you've seen in the last decade. enjoyable...
Herrens veje (Ride Upon the Storm) - series two, bit of a let down compared to series one.. slow to start, goes no where and borrows heavily off the first series for no reason, even the rabbit holes were doubly pointless - very disappointing.

I can't answer that without giving spoilers man! 😉

were you disappointed with the way he walked away from the bairn at the end? the family reunion scene for minna telegraphed it to a certain degree. i didnt think he'd find the kid in the end, presumed they might have tee'd it up for a possible second series. there's a danish series on netflix called Kriger (warrior) which is worth watching but does something similar where at the end i'm left thinking you only did that to get another series... imho. i'd already decided early on that Nicolas Bro was too big (in name not weight!) an actor to be playing a no body police office jockey to not be a crucial character somehow. i enjoyed 7 & 8...

@alexander what's the danish word for "why"? and is it pronounced 'what for'? DNA seems to flip effortlessly from danish to english to polish to french where by the end i'd forgotten if i was listening or reading subtitles... but at the whatfor dialogue i'd thought i'd slipped into speaking danish... :lol: pretty sure bill bailey does a comedy routine about the more you watch danish telly the more the two languages seem to merge....

were you disappointed with the way he walked away from the bairn at the end? the family reunion scene for minna telegraphed it to a certain degree. i didnt think he'd find the kid in the end, presumed they might have tee'd it up for a possible second series. there's a danish series on netflix called Kriger (warrior) which is worth watching but does something similar where at the end i'm left thinking you only did that to get another series... imho. i'd already decided early on that Nicolas Bro was too big (in name not weight!) an actor to be playing a no body police office jockey to not be a crucial character somehow. i enjoyed 7 & 8...

Tbh I found it a little too predictable.

Danish cops must be right wrong'uns as they always seem to get arrested at the end.

Finished DNA tonight, still think its the best danish series i've seen in a very long time. i really enjoyed all the episodes and it had a very similar feel to the best of the killing & the bridge et al. Would highly recommend anyone on here to check it out on iplayer if they've not seen it. I've finished off a couple of other danish shows in the last few weeks too...

Forhøret (Face to Face) - short episodes set over a single day, each episode is almost a single scene with a "guest star", all the usual suspects from the various scandi series you've seen in the last decade. enjoyable...
Herrens veje (Ride Upon the Storm) - series two, bit of a let down compared to series one.. slow to start, goes no where and borrows heavily off the first series for no reason, even the rabbit holes were doubly pointless - very disappointing.

@alexander what's the danish word for "why"? and is it pronounced 'what for'? DNA seems to flip effortlessly from danish to english to polish to french where by the end i'd forgotten if i was listening or reading subtitles... but at the whatfor dialogue i'd thought i'd slipped into speaking danish... :lol: pretty sure bill bailey does a comedy routine about the more you watch danish telly the more the two languages seem to merge....

:lol: Will have to look up the Bill Bailey clip at some point.

If you imagine the T in 'what for' is silent then you pretty much have our 'why' ('hvorfor').

I agree with Herrens Veje. The first series I thought was wonderful telly. Never got more than two episodes into series two though.

Back