Save Seaburn

I'd be interested to see the attendance figures for both centres mind. Adults vs kids.
Fair point, Dave, but perhaps they're doing different things? I certainly think it's a good idea to just get kids swimming but I also think we need places where people can develop a talent if they have it. Should be room for both.

Fair point, Dave, but perhaps they're doing different things? I certainly think it's a good idea to just get kids swimming but I also think we need places where people can develop a talent if they have it. Should be room for both.

Siglion or any other developer will never build a leisure centre as the return is too slow - shields is making about £1m a year and cost £17m to build. Any such development would have to be council funded and run and that's not on the table at least not for now and unlikely to change. Similarly with a fair ground , what sort of business model would that be ? Siglion will want to build and sell on where possible not be a long term landlord on the development . Naturally everyone wants what suits their own interests on their doorstep , some people on the save seaburn site want a cinema but a cinema that shows old classic movies not new releases ffs

I would never use a kids pool or a fairground so would rather have it turned over to housing - retail - restaurants and obviously the crazy golf ! Any plans are always going to make some happy and others furious but a huge motivation for the save seaburn campaign was to protect the 'exclusive' enclaves of seafields and south bents - bunch of nimby pricks imo

Siglion or any other developer will never build a leisure centre as the return is too slow - shields is making about £1m a year and cost £17m to build. Any such development would have to be council funded and run and that's not on the table at least not for now and unlikely to change. Similarly with a fair ground , what sort of business model would that be ? Siglion will want to build and sell on where possible not be a long term landlord on the development . Naturally everyone wants what suits their own interests on their doorstep , some people on the save seaburn site want a cinema but a cinema that shows old classic movies not new releases ffs

I would never use a kids pool or a fairground so would rather have it turned over to housing - retail - restaurants and obviously the crazy golf ! Any plans are always going to make some happy and others furious but a huge motivation for the save seaburn campaign was to protect the 'exclusive' enclaves of seafields and south bents - bunch of nimby pricks imo
I always knew there was a power behind the throne. :lol:

Seaburn will never be some sort of Aldeburgh / Southwold of the North East so we should be pragmatic about development.

WDNB.

I agree and disagree with you here.

We need development desperately in the sea front and any developer needs a return so we have to accept housing as unavoidable.

I think it's the extent of the housing. 100 units or so is too much. Fulwell and Seaburn Dene schools are already oversubscribed so where would you put another possible 100 kids if this many family homes get built. I also dont think there's that much demand. I've bought twice in SR6 in the last 2 years and I had no issue with supply.

Housing should be restricted to a lower number and no units should be on the sea front as once they're there then that's it for ever as you'll never get the chance to rezone that land.

I agree and disagree with you here.

We need development desperately in the sea front and any developer needs a return so we have to accept housing as unavoidable.

I think it's the extent of the housing. 100 units or so is too much. Fulwell and Seaburn Dene schools are already oversubscribed so where would you put another possible 100 kids if this many family homes get built. I also dont think there's that much demand. I've bought twice in SR6 in the last 2 years and I had no issue with supply.

Housing should be restricted to a lower number and no units should be on the sea front as once they're there then that's it for ever as you'll never get the chance to rezone that land.

A fair chunk of the housing could be set aside for retirees - the grey pound talks these days. There are a lot of people who prefer new housing to the existing housing stock too and apart from Newcastle road there's been nothing affordable for normal working families

Just think if you look at somewhere like seaham it's changed massively since they built the new housing there , same to some degree with Birtley. Both used to be shit tips but gradually with the influx of people to new housing the areas have improved hugely.

Just think if you look at somewhere like seaham it's changed massively since they built the new housing there , same to some degree with Birtley. Both used to be shit tips but gradually with the influx of people to new housing the areas have improved hugely.

disagree on Birtley mind, it used be a thriving town, a great community with cracking pubs and countless excellent shops which thrived because nobody had a car. Now you can pay 500K for a house but there's nothing but takeaways and charity shops

Back