Save Seaburn

We used to come down from Scotland to Seaburn every year for the airshow. We stayed in local B&Bs and ate and drank locally. We go to blackpool airshow now. :rolleyes:

I'm all for the improvements to Roker/ Seaburn but the decision to cancel Sunderland airshow was a disgrace.

The amount of people the airshow brought into the city was great,

With the improvements to the seafront and city centre in general it would have been an ideal opportunity to showcase these new developments to people who wouldn't usually visit the city.

I'm all for the improvements to Roker/ Seaburn but the decision to cancel Sunderland airshow was a disgrace.

With the improvements to the seafront and city centre in general it would have been an ideal opportunity to showcase these new developments to people who wouldn't usually visit the city.

Visit anyone who has a collection of Airfix model planes and watch them chuck them around and you have the Sunderland Airshow. I went every year for a few years and it was the same every time. I’ve done louder farts than some of the planes on display. Aircraft like the Tucano and the biplanes on the program I just found a tad slow and boring. The only thing I took away from the show was a stiff neck. I saw a great parachute display team till I realised it was a few seagulls in the distance. I am sorry but it didn’t light my fire. It is just me. It wasn’t my thing. The F15 and the Battle of Britain fly past were top notch. But I just think unless you are a hardcore aviation fan it didn’t float many boats.

The best way to attract people is to make the overall experience of being there brilliant. I went to Gabrielle’s before the England v Scotland game and it did feel like I was on holiday. I had gotten away from work and everything. I was in the moment. I love Seaburn.

Only for 3 days, weather dependent. Now people visit all year round. That's why they built the Seaburn Inn Hotel.

People didn’t do for the aircraft though. Most went for either a weekend on the piss or to entertain the kids. Whether you like the planes or not is fairly irrelevant.

Visit anyone who has a collection of Airfix model planes and watch them chuck them around and you have the Sunderland Airshow. I went every year for a few years and it was the same every time. I’ve done louder farts than some of the planes on display. Aircraft like the Tucano and the biplanes on the program I just found a tad slow and boring. The only thing I took away from the show was a stiff neck. I saw a great parachute display team till I realised it was a few seagulls in the distance. I am sorry but it didn’t light my fire. It is just me. It wasn’t my thing. The F15 and the Battle of Britain fly past were top notch. But I just think unless you are a hardcore aviation fan it didn’t float many boats.

The best way to attract people is to make the overall experience of being there brilliant. I went to Gabrielle’s before the England v Scotland game and it did feel like I was on holiday. I had gotten away from work and everything. I was in the moment. I love Seaburn.

I'm not really into planes,

But the Red Arrows are very popular and the local media always made a big deal over how many visitors Sunderland airshow attracted to the area.

What a huge boost to businesses new & old if it had continued.

What were the official reasons it was cancelled? I vaguely remember some utter bollocks about how stopping the planes would help save the planet but no idea if that was the main reason.

Had some fantastic days out with the kids at the airshow

Someone posting it's just an excuse for day on the piss, has a weird as owt take on such events

I had a ride down there on my bike one year and the amount of people openly drinking meant it wasn't a very good atmosphere and felt like the drinking came first.

Last edited:
What were the official reasons it was cancelled? I vaguely remember some utter bollocks about how stopping the planes would help save the planet but no idea if that was the main reason.

It was costing too much time and money to organise just to end up being cancelled.

There are also targets for every town and city to hit by reducing their carbon footprint by a certain date. Those targets were set by the conservative government at one of the climate conferences a few years ago.

It was costing too much time and money to organise just to end up being cancelled.

There are also targets for every town and city to hit by reducing their carbon footprint by a certain date. Those targets were set by the conservative government at one of the climate conferences a few years ago.

Maybe they could have scaled it down to one day if it was genuinely due to cost cutting and then took it from there.

Well the government should have been told to sling their hook on that BS.

Disagree strongly with this mind. The airshow is something unique that attracts people from a massive area. Take away stuff like it's just the same as most other towns on the Coast and not better than them either, places like Whitby blow it out the water, for a tourist.

No-one is going to travel far to Seaburn as there's nothing unique. Similar that most people from Sunderland won't travel to Whitley Bay for the same reasons.

Syndicated ai generated rubbish

Disagree strongly with this mind. The airshow is something unique that attracts people from a massive area. Take away stuff like it's just the same as most other towns on the Coast and not better than them either, places like Whitby blow it out the water, for a tourist.

No-one is going to travel far to Seaburn as there's nothing unique. Similar that most people from Sunderland won't travel to Whitley Bay for the same reasons.

"We have had people come down from as far as Alnwick, we have had people from York and people come for brunch from Derby because they had heard of us."

Back