Save Seaburn

I live fairly near and went along to the public gallery tonight to see what was said. A previous poster commented on the ability of NWL, totally justified. Their representative was repeatedly questioned by councillors of all political parties about previous false facts, incorrect statistics, lack of clarity, apparent collusion etc. At first the Miller Homes pair advised the Chair Lady that they were choosing to watch the proceedings rather that speak. By the time the NWL chap had issued his 5th apology and when the Council Officer lady wound everyone up by quoting precedent of some case in Wales where the builder has a right to connect to the sewage system irrespective of local concerns, you could feel the atmosphere change. The the Miller "2" both chose to speak, I think in an attempt to rescue things, one of them agreed to pay for a survey, then, sort of didn't! Then 2 Labour councillors piped up with 2 valid points -
1) What have we got to lose by getting an independent environmental survey done?
2) What is the maximum capacity of the existing sewage network? And can it cope with every proposed Seaburn development.
Motion from Liberal Councillor (Haswell?) to defer passed by about 15-2 votes (rough count)
The NWL chap and one of the Miller 2 left pronto (probably in a state of panic)
Expect it to be in the Echo in early February!! :)
Honestly why would that make you smile. I know I kid on but the sea front is a mess, it needs investment by both council and private and now it’s happening it seems that the very people who will benefit are doing everything they can to stop it.
This will only delay the building work temporarily and like said before will probably benefit the other housing proposals. Sunderland as a whole is moving forward and leaving SR6 and the seafront behind. With higher quality housing going up all around the city it’s not going to take long for seafront and the bents to become another isolated costal ghost town.
What a shame.

Honestly why would that make you smile. I know I kid on but the sea front is a mess, it needs investment by both council and private and now it’s happening it seems that the very people who will benefit are doing everything they can to stop it.
This will only delay the building work temporarily and like said before will probably benefit the other housing proposals. Sunderland as a whole is moving forward and leaving SR6 and the seafront behind. With higher quality housing going up all around the city it’s not going to take long for seafront and the bents to become another isolated costal ghost town.
What a shame.
The smile was about the Echo reporting it in 2 weeks (not the Miller/Seaburn/Sea Front Environment stuff).

What a shame.
It's not going to stop the development. Way too far down the line for that now. So sounds like an independent review before any action but my assumption would be that NWL will have to pick up the bill for any remediation as they would have been the ones to declare capacity was OK.

It's not really good news for anyone as we all end up paying for that in our rates anyway. It's just delaying and that is not what Seaburn needs. That said, the impact that this would have had if not challenged could have been very bad for the area.

I live fairly near and went along to the public gallery tonight to see what was said. A previous poster commented on the ability of NWL, totally justified. Their representative was repeatedly questioned by councillors of all political parties about previous false facts, incorrect statistics, lack of clarity, apparent collusion etc. At first the Miller Homes pair advised the Chair Lady that they were choosing to watch the proceedings rather that speak. By the time the NWL chap had issued his 5th apology and when the Council Officer lady wound everyone up by quoting precedent of some case in Wales where the builder has a right to connect to the sewage system irrespective of local concerns, you could feel the atmosphere change. The the Miller "2" both chose to speak, I think in an attempt to rescue things, one of them agreed to pay for a survey, then, sort of didn't! Then 2 Labour councillors piped up with 2 valid points -
1) What have we got to lose by getting an independent environmental survey done?
2) What is the maximum capacity of the existing sewage network? And can it cope with every proposed Seaburn development.
Motion from Liberal Councillor (Haswell?) to defer passed by about 15-2 votes (rough count)
The NWL chap and one of the Miller 2 left pronto (probably in a state of panic)
Expect it to be in the Echo in early February!! :)
Well said

In fairness the sewerage issue would presumably be the same for the leisure development(s) that the people of Seaburn want, unless it connects to a different system?

I guess there is now likely to be a delay to any proposed permenant leisure scheme(s). That said stack will be there for several years so could tide over until these issues are resolved, assuming the works don’t kill the businesses in the stack first of course.

All in all it’s good news if the residents have pushed this and are justified in what they’ve said.

Has fat Buddha closed? Thought it was just sold off?
Splitting hairs really isn’t it. Fat Buddha is no more. The lad knew and got pelters. I
Wouldn’t have thought it would have been sold on.

Splitting hairs really isn’t it. Fat Buddha is no more. The lad knew and got pelters. I
Wouldn’t have thought it would have been sold on.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, was just under the impression that the owner had sold them on as the Newcastle one was also sold on. Both went to different owners as I understood it. Obviously the Newcastle one has since went under and is now the purple peacock or something.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, was just under the impression that the owner had sold them on as the Newcastle one was also sold on. Both went to different owners as I understood it. Obviously the Newcastle one has since went under and is now the purple peacock or something.
I’m not sure tbh, can’t understand why someone would buy a business then change the name if all was good. I’ve been known to be wrong plenty though.

That’s what they want man. Never surrender.

I hope they don’t as the area is f***ing desperate for development but I can see the usual suspects scrutinising the minutia of every proposal looking to derail it out of sheer spite. To be honest I’m f***ing sick of the twats, I’ve unfollowed most of the local groups because of their constant spamming. There’s one that seems to have escaped so I still go on that.
Once this is resolved one way or the other I hope they chill the fuck out for their sakes as this level of obsession cant be healthy.

Where exactly are the new houses being built in Seaburn? Website gives the postcode SR6 8AZ, but that's already got houses on?

Back