Save Seaburn

Is that the beef? Protecting the locals 'view'?
They don't want additional housing down there certainly. Some of the members back on to the fields where the Miller homes housing is proposed. I don't blame them I would be pretty gutted too but they didn't buy a house backing on to green belt as they seem to think. It's not parkland. It's a private field. So could have happened at any time. They claim it's other issues that concerns them but the truth is pure NIMBYism.

Are you joking me? Last time I was in backhouse - about a year ago mind. It was filthy with shite everywhere. The kids playpark at the Hendon end was minging with some of the stuff broken and covered in grime. The grass was overgrown all over the park. It used to be a well kept park but the council don't seem to spend any money on that one now.

Roker park is a jewel really.
Run by Volunteers.

Nice walk around backhouse this morning with the grandson, Not many cars about no dogshit anywhere. All the trees intact playpark was lovely.
Pleasant and enjoyable
Well done the respectful dog owners of Ashbrooke.

massive opportunity for some clever firm to make a lot of money doing up the old art college in the grounds of backhouse,it's all boarded up and dropping to bits

They knocked the changing rooms down about 10-15 years ago. Just been fields since then.
Shame. That was my home pitch back when I played for Redby 93/94.

If it's not being used surely it needs to be incorporated into the plans. They could put a canny size car park there, even a new road to help ease traffic.

Shame. That was my home pitch back when I played for Redby 93/94.

If it's not being used surely it needs to be incorporated into the plans. They could put a canny size car park there, even a new road to help ease traffic.
Used by caravanners and also during airshow.

Used by scratters and also during airshow.
Tidied

massive opportunity for some clever firm to make a lot of money doing up the old art college in the grounds of backhouse,it's all boarded up and dropping to bits
Them big old building take some sorting mate.
Ya right though even if it was just selling single to the st Aidan’s boys, saves them walking down the ivy house.

Last edited:
They don't want additional housing down there certainly. Some of the members back on to the fields where the Miller homes housing is proposed. I don't blame them I would be pretty gutted too but they didn't buy a house backing on to green belt as they seem to think. It's not parkland. It's a private field. So could have happened at any time. They claim it's other issues that concerns them but the truth is pure NIMBYism.
Shame. Its also a shame that the plans for Seaburn haven't really wowed anyone.

We might get a development at some unidentified point in the future.

We're gonna get a temporary container park because Gateshead have one.

Am not really all that bothered. My kids like being on the beach. The trick is to get me to spend more when I'm down there with them.

At the minute, I'll buy some chips and maybe dodge into Morrisons on the way back up. That's it. I can be down and gone spending about a tenner.

Some visits I don't spend a single penny. If they don't fancy chips or I don't need a loaf of bread in the supermarket, there's nowt else we're bothered to spend cash on currently.

Shame. Its also a shame that the plans for Seaburn haven't really wowed anyone.

We might get a development at some unidentified point in the future.

We're gonna get a temporary container park because Gateshead have one.

Am not really all that bothered. My kids like being on the beach. The trick is to get me to spend more when I'm down there with them.

At the minute, I'll buy some chips and maybe dodge into Morrisons on the way back up. That's it. I can be down and gone spending about a tenner.

Some visits I don't spend a single penny. If they don't fancy chips or I don't need a loaf of bread in the supermarket, there's nowt else we're bothered to spend cash on currently.
I feel sorry for your bairns

So it's the councils fault that people were illegally parked.

It would be daft to cater for the most extreme cases. The land could be put to better use for the majority of the year when the sun doesn't shine. No popular beach destination I've ever known around the world caters for everyone wanting to visit. Some will have to miss out. Mind I don't know why we can't build more multi story car parks here. Dig down and have levels underground.

Love the bit at the end of that article where she's quoted him as saying there is plenty of parking :lol:

Oh George you wouldn't have just jumped on that little saveseaburn bandwagon for a few votes would you?

So it's the councils fault that people were illegally parked.

It would be daft to cater for the most extreme cases. The land could be put to better use for the majority of the year when the sun doesn't shine. No popular beach destination I've ever known around the world caters for everyone wanting to visit. Some will have to miss out. Mind I don't know why we can't build more multi story car parks here. Dig down and have levels underground.

Love the bit at the end of that article where she's quoted him as saying there is plenty of parking :lol:

Oh George you wouldn't have just jumped on that little saveseaburn bandwagon for a few votes would you?
But can’t you see the underlying problem in the article bob? The whole point of the development is to bring in more people not just on hot days and bank holidays but to enjoy the newly developed sea front, fact? Admittedly a siglion spokesperson say they only taking away 8 parking spaces! Fact! It’s mad logic from the start pal.
I know we need to develop over there but it’s set out to fail. It’s true what @Wilfy says people should use public transport but they won’t. We have had this discussion a few times about people going to the metro centre because you can get parked and it’s free. We know it’s pathetic but people do it. And people will boycott all the new “attractions” if they can’t park. Fact.
The spin on the picture is “only one car in sight” that’s the whole point the place is empty any other time.

Back