Sancho

Foden had a good first three minutes to the tournament and had done the square root of f*ck all since then. He looks to me like the latest one who thinks he's made it before he's made it. Give me a player with goals, assists and a German mentality over somebody who is more interested in dying their hair for a tournament, any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
What a load of rubbish, he was only 1 till grealish came on who was driving forward and looking to make forward passes trying to make things happen

I didn't think Sterling was the worst culprit.
2 sitting CMs we didn't need was the main issue for me, and that Mount did absolutely nowt all game.
Grealish could have taken one of the CM positions and Sancho for Mount?
Totally agree with that. The 2 holding mids did what they were asked I guess. But at the expense of our attacking play. Mount is good for Chelsea but like Lampard struggled for England

Likes to play in opponents half so no chance. Waste of a squad place when we could have another full back.
Why Southgate didn't get absolutely hammered for his pre tournament teams I don't know !!
Totally agree with that. The 2 holding mids did what they were asked I guess. But at the expense of our attacking play. Mount is good for Chelsea but like Lampard struggled for England
Mounts been class , probably best player over 2 games for us

Last edited:
Hasn't ever looked anything flash for England in his few appearances which hasn't helped his cause.

I'd happily see us drop Kane, play Foden as a false 9 and have Sancho and Grealish off him. Yesterday was absolutely chronic.

Henderson into that midfield as well for Rice.
False nine, holding midfielder, number 10, wing back and other modern phrases, let’s get back to box-to-box midfielders, wingers, inside forwards, wing half’s, centre half’s (not centre backs) and the owld 2-3-5 formation.

False nine, holding midfielder, number 10, wing back and other modern phrases, let’s get back to box-to-box midfielders, wingers, inside forwards, wing half’s, centre half’s (not centre backs) and the owld 2-3-5 formation.
Major case to be made that we do play 2-3-5 tbh

——————Stones-Mings
—Walker———-Rice———-Shaw
Foden-Phillips-Kane-Mount-Sterling

He’s been average the last few times I’ve seen him. I’d rather we started with Grealish and Foden (who needs to buck his ideas up mind) and Henderson should replace Rice, who is offering absolutely nothing.

Foden in the middle and sancho in for mount, Henderson in for rice (if he’s not fit then don’t put him in the squad)

see how kane gets on but if he’s doing his Tommy Miller impression I’d hook him after 10 mins

He’s been average the last few times I’ve seen him. I’d rather we started with Grealish and Foden (who needs to buck his ideas up mind) and Henderson should replace Rice, who is offering absolutely nothing.
Aye, I'm yet to see him have a really good game for England tbh. People quote his stats in Germany but I don't think he's the answer at all. Something needs to change whether it's tactically or the formation or whatever. The way we're playing at the minute I doubt any one player will come in and have a real impact, especially someone who has always looked fairly average for England

I couldn’t believe both Rice and Phillips were still on at 90mins, not playing badly but surely if Phillips is playing so far forward we’d be better off with a more natural forward player in that role.
Gareth needs more defensive players to defend the other defensive players defending the defenders mate. You’ll never keep a clean sheet otherwise.
Doesn't fit in with the Slothgate masterplan of boring the opposition to death.
Death by a thousand sideways and backward passes mate.
It's funny that Southgate said he took Kane off because he wanted some legs to get in behind when he took Foden off who's been making those types of runs more than anyone.
I’m heading toward the conclusion that Southgate is full of shit

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that after 2 games in which we've barely threatened to create a sniff of a chance, that we have people like Jason Sancho in the squad, who haven't played a single minute.

Thank god we've stuck with 2 defensive midfielders sat on the toes of the CBs most of the time playing 5 yard, sideways passes, and who can't carry the ball forward, it has made us very creative and dynamic...

Only him and Sterling getting into the box, very worrying with a squad absolutely laden with pace.
We only have a squad in case some of his chums get injured fletch. He’s not savvy enough to make game changing subs. He hasn’t got the balls or the brains.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that after 2 games in which we've barely threatened to create a sniff of a chance, that we have people like Jason Sancho in the squad, who haven't played a single minute.

Thank god we've stuck with 2 defensive midfielders sat on the toes of the CBs most of the time playing 5 yard, sideways passes, and who can't carry the ball forward, it has made us very creative and dynamic...

I'm not particularly a fan of 2 defensive midfielders but don't mind sideways passing or slowing the game down. Sideways passes and slowing it down allows players to get up, pull opposition out and create overloads in different areas of the pitch if it's done right.

We aren't even getting the full backs out though when we do it, even with 2 defensive midfielders to cover, so we end up narrow, and with Foden, Kane, Mount and Sterling fighting between themselves to find space centrally with oceans of it out wide.

We've played 4 full backs now but they've all played the same way holding back. In thr rare occasions they have got forward (James v Scotland when Sterling ran round and round in circles before running down a blind alley) we don't even look to pass wide.

Back