Sam Fender

I think most Sunderland supporters will find a Newcastle Sam Fender gig unacceptable. He definitely plays up to it. Which is fine he can do what he wants.
Luckily I only go to gigs where this wouldn’t be a thing.

Sorry to hear your evening was ruined by arseholes.

I'm also slightly intrigued by the 'Sam wanted a mosh pit' part. How ridiculous and contrived....hey fans, please make me look like a rock star by leaping about for this one. Sounds hideous all round.
My favourite was Lethal Bizzle mid afternoon on a Sunday at Kendal. He wanted a mosh pit bigger than Pat Butcher’s pussy. Made me laugh.

I went.

Been a huge fan of his music from the early days and this was the first time seeing him live. Had tickets to see him before but couldn’t go last minute.

It was full of people wearing Newcastle shirts, every song played over the sound system before he came on these lads next us to were signing a Newcastle version putting a players name in it. And yes, between every song it was Toon Toon by a good portion of the crowd. Was f***ing awful.

Then to make things worse, Sam wanted a mosh pit for a song. He said if you don’t feel comfortable with it, move out the way. Don’t want people getting hurt etc.

My lass wanted to move, so we moved across the standing area to the barrier. This horrible cow of a woman then started shouting at me calling me a wanker cos I blocked her view. Proper going down my throat for having the audacity to stand, in the standing area, when I have a standing ticket.

I tried to reason with her, telling her my girlfriend was a little anxious in mosh pit and needed to air. She snapped ‘airs outside not here’.

I took this as my opportunity to leave. Was only 4 or 5 songs in. People around us were telling her how wrong she was and that we shouldn’t leave but it was a shite night anyways.

Oh, and there was giant Newcastle flags waved about in the crowd like it was St James Park. We went to watch and listen to music not a f***ing football match.
Aye it was a weird crowd in standing last night, sorry some dafty made you feel like you had to leave. Shit craic that. Shame because that was the best I’ve seen Sam Fender live. We’ll be seeing him again, but make a weekend of it somewhere that’s not Newcastle!

I like his music but wouldn't want to go see him live because of all this Sunday for Sammy shite.
I had free ticket last year when he was on at Exhibition Park. Proper Toon Toon fest and he milked it. Local Hero theme tune before he came on etc.
which is fine but not for Sunderland supporters.

If you want to see him, you are better off going somewhere else in the country tbh.

I get the hometown welcome stuff but by Christ it’s been hijacked and sadly he plays up to it.

I went.

Been a huge fan of his music from the early days and this was the first time seeing him live. Had tickets to see him before but couldn’t go last minute.

It was full of people wearing Newcastle shirts, every song played over the sound system before he came on these lads next us to were signing a Newcastle version putting a players name in it. And yes, between every song it was Toon Toon by a good portion of the crowd. Was f***ing awful.

Then to make things worse, Sam wanted a mosh pit for a song. He said if you don’t feel comfortable with it, move out the way. Don’t want people getting hurt etc.

My lass wanted to move, so we moved across the standing area to the barrier. This horrible cow of a woman then started shouting at me calling me a wanker cos I blocked her view. Proper going down my throat for having the audacity to stand, in the standing area, when I have a standing ticket.

I tried to reason with her, telling her my girlfriend was a little anxious in mosh pit and needed to air. She snapped ‘airs outside not here’.

I took this as my opportunity to leave. Was only 4 or 5 songs in. People around us were telling her how wrong she was and that we shouldn’t leave but it was a shite night anyways.

Oh, and there was giant Newcastle flags waved about in the crowd like it was St James Park. We went to watch and listen to music not a f***ing football match.
Sounds like Sam’s gigs have turned into a social event for charvers and general cretins. Like a Gerry Cinnamon gig.

Aye it was a weird crowd in standing last night, sorry some dafty made you feel like you had to leave. Shit craic that. Shame because that was the best I’ve seen Sam Fender live. We’ll be seeing him again, but make a weekend of it somewhere that’s not Newcastle!
Yeah, I’m seeing him support the Killers in London later in the year. Hoping it’s a lot less like it was last night.

Really like the bloke just can’t understand the over the top geordie craic. Just makes the whole thing a lot less enjoyable.

I went.

This was pretty much my experience earlier on in the year , had a chance to go tonight but I will never see him again in Newcastle.

It’s more about a football team then the music

People are really surprised that he makes a hometown gig, a hometown gig? He’s young and daft and probably a bit excited. It’s no biggie. Saw the Futureheads years ago and one of them was wearing a lads top. It is what it is.

People are really surprised that he makes a hometown gig, a hometown gig? He’s young and daft and probably a bit excited. It’s no biggie. Saw the Futureheads years ago and one of them was wearing a lads top. It is what it is.
He has wor flags so a display, before the gig you have constant toon toon chants. He then comes out to local hero and more chants .

It’s full of pissed up football fans that don’t care about the music

I’ve seen the Futureheads about 10 times & football has never been mentioned. I don’t know the lads, but I’m guessing they’d be a bit offended if a football agenda was thrust upon them when they’re all serious musicians who’ve released many records between them, played thousands of gigs & toured the world.

Football can’t be further away from their identity.

I mean it’s much, much, much more than just a band member wearing a football shirt. It’s utter over the top, vomit inducing cringe. It’s bad enough when they chant ‘toon toon’ in between songs at gigs of someone completely unrelated to the place. I’ve been to gigs all over the country and nowhere do the people go on like these people do. They bang on about how attached they are to their football club and their identity. It’s actually pretty sad, as if they have nothing else in their lives.

Back