Salmon Pants buys Charlton Athletic

I saw this was posted on the Charlton messageboard:

What are your thoughts @Grumpy Old Man ?
Someone wants to link the mail's expose and the quotes from Donald stating that he's gonna pay it back to the club tbh.

Slightly tangentially but CM talked about having cancer which made his time even harder. Was it that serious ie life threatening or just say a basal cell carcinoma?
Yes and pretty sure he'd just had a baby with his partner after finding out. I honestly feel Methven wanted to do a good job, no doubt he'll openly admit he got things wrong.

It didn't. The total parachute payment that season was arounf £37m
Only £32m was taken to buy Safc & for absolutely the last time parachute payments are not supposed to be used to facilitate anyone buying a football club, whether as you believe it paid off a debt of the previous owner, I certainly don’t, it without doubt gave ES more money than anyone was prepared to pay at that time, so he took it, but either way
It’s without doubt morally, totally and utterly corrupt, if not in the eyes of the law.

This is why football especially in The Championship right now, is is in such as mess financially, because the EFL are hopeless at stopping these types coming in & owning football clubs.

Only £32m was taken to buy Safc & for absolutely the last time parachute payments are not supposed to be used to facilitate anyone buying a football club, whether as you believe it paid off a debt of the previous owner, I certainly don’t, it without doubt gave ES more money than anyone was prepared to pay at that time, so he took it, but either way
It’s without doubt morally, totally and utterly corrupt, if not in the eyes of the law.

This is why football especially in The Championship right now, is is in such as mess financially, because the EFL are hopeless at stopping these types coming in & owning football clubs.
Rodwell was in charge of the emergency committee that decided it’d be ok for it to happen. He was CEO of SAFC within weeks. He’s now top lad at Charlie Boys Charlton. “Hopeless“ has nowt to do with it.

Rodwell was in charge of the emergency committee that decided it’d be ok for it to happen. He was CEO of SAFC within weeks. He’s now top lad at Charlie Boys Charlton. “Hopeless“ has nowt to do with it.
I contacted the EFL to try and find out if Rodwell was part of the "Right and proper persons test" for the 2 spivs, I got no response

BCCs rarely kill compared to melanomas. But yes ‘just’ is complacent. But I say that having had a couple removed years ago. 1970s sunburn

Ah, horrible that.
Well done bonny lad..
Was the use of the word 'just' seemed kind of heartless but you explained that.

Aye I saw a couple pics of CM when he was badly.
Horrible f...g thing man.

he isnt an owner and never has been..but of course he passed the test as a director..he had been a director of a club previous to SAFC..

That's not what he meant as you well know. Rodwell was part of the EFL's board of directors and thus decided whether Donald and Metheven passed the O&D test. Imagine our surprise when a short while later, guess who turned up as CEO at SAFC?

That's not what he meant as you well know. Rodwell was part of the EFL's board of directors and thus decided whether Donald and Metheven passed the O&D test. Imagine our surprise when a short while later, guess who turned up as CEO at SAFC?
right..and any evidence he would have decided whether they passed the test? does the efl non executive baord assess every applicant? the key word is non executive which is what rodwell was on the league board..
and why wouldnt donald and methven pass it..with sartori as their backer they more than had the money..and both are people who have no criminal convictions or previous hisotry of bankruptcies-both had involvement in football prevously as well...there are few more qualfied tp pass the test than those two..

There were never any reasons why Donald and Methven would fail whoever was one of the panel. The owner and director test doesn't look for what people seem to think it does. It looks solely for involvement in insolvencies or convictions for a limited range of criminal offences in piracy and fraud.

right..and any evidence he would have decided whether they passed the test? does the efl non executive baord assess every applicant? the key word is non executive which is what rodwell was on the league board..
and why wouldnt donald and methven pass it..with sartori as their backer they more than had the money..and both are people who have no criminal convictions or previous hisotry of bankruptcies-both had involvement in football prevously as well...there are few more qualfied tp pass the test than those two..

I never claimed they wouldn't pass the test. I said that Rodwell was on the board and then all of a sudden he turned up here in an major executive role.

but he had no executive role at the league and no imput into the test..because he had no executive role..

Again, I never said he had any input into the test... I said he was on the board of the EFL. Then convientley turned up as CEO here not long after.
And now turns up at Charlton, how convenient

Not casting aspersions on anything. Rodwell's basic incompetence here should make anybody think not once or twice but many times over about appointing him in such a role again. Then again, Charlie Meth is involved...

Last edited:

Back