Sale is close - Barnsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm what Storey said if it Is aimed at FPP ties in with what I was told last year when they were looking at buying the club, they arent looking to throw big money at the club and view it purely as a business transaction.....my source was impeccable (since sacked by Donald)
At this point though that’s what we need, pragmatic business men that understand that in order to make money we need to do things better, particularly recruitment, both players and in prominent positions and the academy. Fix those and theirs massive potential profit.

I'm not sure I'm buying that mind. The blokes involved in FPP are billionaires. They'd have had no interest in buying us and selling us in the championship for, I dunno, £20m profit (buy for £25m, sell for £45m in the league above). What use would they have for £20m split 3 ways? Now, even a billionaire would be tempted by, say, buying for £25m, getting to the prem and potentially selling for £300m. If you've invested sensibly and well in the squad and it costs you £100m to do it, you're still making a very sizable profit.

So basically it only ever made sense if they were looking to buy us and take us back to the PL. And if they were going to do that, they'd need to invest. And if they did it, no one would have had an issue with them. I can't believe for a second that they were going to try and flip us quickly like Donald did.
Thats all very much likely the case but this way I can pretend its not a total negative they didnt take over

Tbh he just sounds like a cocky little hustler. I’d find him entertaining in the boozer thinking I’d never have to work again then wake up and feel disappointed I had to put in a shift. It’s too risky some chirpy cockney saying I’ll tell you who it is when I’ve signed the deal. Character yes and good luck to him in life but not for me. Yes he’s right about what’s gone wrong and credit to him the guys done his homework, his marketing is slick but doing things efficiently well is another story.

Agree with this. Said it before but if anyone hasn't seen Fyre, the film about the failed festival, they should watch it to see a character that seems very similar to Storey. Big plans, its going to be great, ultra positive, the kind of person you'd almost want to believe. Then it all starts falling down, he's still positive it'll work, and you realise that either he's a complete liar who has tried to con you from the off, or he's so detached from reality he genuinely doesn't believe it'll fail until the last minute when it's too late. I know some are saying he should have a chance, but we're talking about something which could potentially end the club if he's as dodgy as even half the red flags suggest

I'm really torn as I'm not sure I want him owning the club but I think people are tesring into him over the interview etc are looking for stuff to lash him for.

And I'm not one of the give everything a chance brigade

he is not going to get the club he is sounding defeated by talking down the opposition.
He said he would reveal who they are soon. Time will tell...

When it’s too late then we can all say wow

I'm not sure I'm buying that mind. The blokes involved in FPP are billionaires. They'd have had no interest in buying us and selling us in the championship for, I dunno, £20m profit (buy for £25m, sell for £45m in the league above). What use would they have for £20m split 3 ways? Now, even a billionaire would be tempted by, say, buying for £25m, getting to the prem and potentially selling for £300m. If you've invested sensibly and well in the squad and it costs you £100m to do it, you're still making a very sizable profit.

So basically it only ever made sense if they were looking to buy us and take us back to the PL. And if they were going to do that, they'd need to invest. And if they did it, no one would have had an issue with them. I can't believe for a second that they were going to try and flip us quickly like Donald did.
To be fair serious business men, regardless of wealth, wouldn’t turn their nose up at an easy 100% profit even if its “ only” 20m. They’d probably be Very happy With that and make multiple investments that might Make only 10% profit because that’s still a decent margin.

Thing is mate this wont be happening,its a smokescreen.What has me pissed off is the fact that we are no where near a takeover.
I think this, they have deliberately been seen together. It wouldn't make sense to hold takeover talks in plain view of the public, it's either a smokescreen or they are meeting to tell him to zip it.

I'm not sure I'm buying that mind. The blokes involved in FPP are billionaires. They'd have had no interest in buying us and selling us in the championship for, I dunno, £20m profit (buy for £25m, sell for £45m in the league above).
He said he would reveal who they are soon. Time will tell...

He said he could only say when a deal goes thru which I find a bit strange tbh, considering they've put a bloke with a very big mouth in as the frontman.

What publicity, going on a local sports radio programme for 12 minutes and having people talk about him on RTG? Unsure what that’s gonna do to help him like?

This.

He is in a lose-lose situation imo.

If he is proven to be all full of bluster then he'll be shown up for the fantasist that he is made out to be and nobody will ever take him seriously again. On the other hand, should he be serious and ends up buying the club then doesn't deliver, he'll be made out to be full of shit, and again nobody will ever take him seriously again.

Let's just see what happens eh? As it stands we're a League One club, and we'll be a League One club for a very long time. We are going nowhere, arguably going backwards. He's talking a good talk and he has everything to lose because of it. The club has everything to gain from it.

I say we give him a chance.

Last edited:
Its tricky isn't it.
We don't want Donald and Sartori and Co.
Many don't seem to want Storey who is very ambitious and who, if he has what he says he has; could be a good option.
The majority wanted FPP but they don't seem to want to do a full takeover. They've loaned money to us and associated members of the group have invested in Southampton and Derby. It seems as though they are just taking low risk long term punts on a few clubs.

Finally we have at least one unnamed group who some have heard good things about but who knows.

Let's just hope something gets sorted soon and whoever comes in they will hopefully breathe some positively and ambition into the club.

I think this, they have deliberately been seen together. It wouldn't make sense to hold takeover talks in plain view of the public, it's either a smokescreen or they are meeting to tell him to zip it.

Or the meeting place was dictated by Storey, who would want them to be seen together. As he said he's keen the fans know there is an offer on the table.

To be fair serious business men, regardless of wealth, wouldn’t turn their nose up at an easy 100% profit even if its “ only” 20m. They’d probably be Very happy With that and make multiple investments that might Make only 10% profit because that’s still a decent margin.

Its not easy though. They'd have a fair bit of work to do just to get us up whilst increasing the value. And of course we aren't sustainable at this level, so if they didn't get it right first time (with the last parachute payment) we'd be losing money, eating into that profit all the time. It was a risk, and I just can't see them taking that kind of risk in an industry they don't know if all they'll get is potentially about £8m profit. There would be much easier and safer ways to do it. The only reason we look attractive to most is because of the PL potential where the club is worth a fuck load more and where, if ran properly, it can make profit. A small timer like Donald might try and get us up on the cheap and hit the jackpot, but three serious, world renowned businessmen? Just can't see it myself

This.

He is in a lose-lose situation imo.

If he is proven to be all full of bluster then he'll be shown up for the fantasist that he is made out to be and nobody will ever take him seriously again. On the other hand, should he be serious and ends up buying the club then doesn't deliver, he'll be made out to be full of shit, and again nobody will ever take him seriously again.

Let's just see what happens eh? As it stands we're a League One club, and we'll be a League One club for a very long time. We are going nowhere, arguably going backwards. He's talking a good talk and he has everything to lose because of it. The club has everything to gain from it.

I say we give him a chance.
Absolutely bonkers. The bloke has done nothing that anyone can find evidence of in his whole career other than talk well, and we want him leading one of the top 10 football clubs in the country.

We need to find people to re-establish the club and build us back up responsibly. These people clearly aren't interested at £37m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back