Salary: Competitive

It's your responsibility to get paid what your worth is, not the employer's.
Correct. Do your homework on the role and others like it and work out the salary average. Tell the agency your minimum & do not budge, as long as it's a good reflection on yourself & your abilities. Professional jobs tend to say "competitive" as it's really up to the candidate themselves....it's all part of the test.

I America they very rarely advertise the salary,what usually happens is they ask what you get paid and if you get the job, they'll offer you like 10-15% more. However,in New York they brought out a law that forbids them asking what you get paid. So it's better here now and they always ask me expectations,it's hard as you don't want to out price yourself,but don't want to undervalue yourself either.

So it depends on how keen you are to move. I'm kind of stuck in the top end of a low bracket right now,so the jobs that pay the next level think I'm not qualified enough....I'm not desperate to change though,so they can give me what I want or I'm not interested.....

Hopefully that is some kind of insight....at least over here.....depends on what people do for a job though too.

• Company currently has disfigured pay structure, advertising a job with salary detail risks alienating existing staff and the company's receiving resignations or on mass pay increase demands
This is most likely. My wife used to work for a multinational company who did this and were very strict about staff not discussing their salaries. The fund accountants they trained up themselves somehow felt loyal to them and they paid them peanuts, but they would pay top dollar to bring staff in. This resulted in some team leaders being paid less than “normal” accountants (who were effectively 2 levels below: it went accountants - senior accountant - team leader).

She’s working in the public sector now where everything is much more transparent, but she’s realised how much it’s shot her in the foot staying there so long (she was only staying because of their outstanding maternity benefits) as she wasn’t able to negotiate any higher than the bottom rung of the salary scale because of the salary they were paying her.

I on the other hand moved about every couple of years after I qualified and am now in a salary range I’m comfortable in (although I hate my current job). My next move will be into the industry I worked in before this job (the ideal job is currently being advertised) and in the right responsibility level will probably be my last move for a while (other than any promotions that may come up).

Last edited:
Surely the flaw in lying about your current salary is being caught out immediately when you hand in your p45 from your last employer? Or a meringue?

Not really.

Depending on the size of the company, the p45 may not go to the person you negotiated a salary with.

Also, p45 only shows taxable income (not salary) so depending on timing of bonuses, pay rises and shares/pensions/health insurance options it could be very difficult to tell what the underlying salary is. Provided you haven't gone overboard with your exaggeration you'll be fine.

I have seen that work from the other side. I applied for a job, had a brief chat with them on the phone about the role after being accepted for interview. They seemed quite enthusiastic about my CV, then I asked what competitive salary was at which point they give a very low figure that would have been a significant pay cut along with a massive commute. They still tried to get me to come for interview so they could "really sell the company" to me, but I declined.

Make sure you negotiate a good salary and package at the start.
No good going into a role and then pushing this as it’s a lot harder.

You make more money switching Employers and starting salaries than taking incremental inflationary increases. Sure internal promotions are possible but more difficult now than when I started work.

Back