Salary: Competitive

What is the point in this. Should I just apply for the job not having a clue what it pays? What a waste of time.
If you're earning 40k and the role pays 70k then you're gonna want 70k (or close to it).

This is how companies see it. They want to pay you 45k and save the rest. Wrong as it is as you should pay what the job's worth.

If you're earning 40k and the role pays 70k then you're gonna want 70k (or close to it).

This is how companies see it. They want to pay you 45k and save the rest. Wrong as it is as you should pay what the job's worth.

This happened to me recently. The recruiter had put my forward at a certain salary, I then had the interview and asked what their budget was for the job and it turned out what I'd asked for was at the bottom end of what they had to spend. Got the job and negotiated an increased salary because they'd been daft enough to divulge their budget in the interview.

Not really, would you pay someone who is at the minimum standard required to do the job the same as someone who is at the top end of the skill range?

pay what the markets worth imo. if you have 10 equal applicants, hire the lowest costing. if theres 10 jobs and 1 applicant, then the worker goes to the highest bidder.

Works both ways. They could be paying a shit wage and every application that comes in wanting more than they're paying goes in the bin.

Not really, would you pay someone who is at the minimum standard required to do the job the same as someone who is at the top end of the skill range?
How do you find that in the police? Once you bump the top end of your scale unless you get promoted you could be on the same as someone scraping by on minimum standard. Suppose it's the same in any job where there are pay scales in place mind.

How do you find that in the police? Once you bump the top end of your scale unless you get promoted you could be on the same as someone scraping by on minimum standard. Suppose it's the same in any job where there are pay scales in place mind.

I have worked with top rate PCs who are awful and lower rate PCs who are brilliant. There is a massive problem with pay scales that increase based only on length of service.

No I see what you're saying, I've stated that poorly. What I mean is that employers these days want to pay people based on what they're currently earning rather than the market rate for the role and its responsibilities. I know there's other factors though like experience, how well they interview, etc.

No I see what you're saying, I've stated that poorly. What I mean is that employers these days want to pay people based on what they're currently earning rather than the market rate for the role and its responsibilities. I know there's other factors though like experience, how well they interview, etc.
At work we have a range of pay for each position. This allows to hire someone who maybe has a good attitude and demeanor but not a lot of experience to come in at the lower end of scale and give them opportunity to grow in pay as they learn the position and get experience. If it's someone with experience, then they get paid the higher end of the pay scale because it is expected that their growth will be moving into supervisor/manager roles in the future.

Back