Sacked for eating a leftover sandwich

I used to work in a cafe and a lad that worked there started eating a tostie a customer had left. Bit into it and there was a stubbed out tab end in it. I was buckled for hours 😂

I thought the unwritten rule was that once the meeting and buffet was finished then the leftovers could be picked over by the others in the office. If someone in the office wanted a sandwich or cake or something then they should have gone and claimed it. Why let good food go to waste.

That's what happens at our office. It's left out on the side, and not really ever chucked.

Hypothetically, could this food of been intended for the other staff at the solicitors and the cleaner has grabbed it before it got back to them?

My mam worked for Mitie for a while cleaning the local Coop. They used to get all the food that was going passed its date for free (before the days to Too Good To Go)

Then the supervisor at the shop changed, and this lass stopped it. All the food HAD to be binned, she even checked the bins ffs. Ruined the only real perk my mam got from the job. And the silly thing is most of it was BBE so it wasn't a food safety issue. But she wouldn't be told that as she was a supervisor and knew better...

Food waste is a big issue globally, it truly is disgusting really.
Aye, my lad works in a shop on his Uni campus, and the owners would rather the food is binned than given away.
Their workaround is that they reduce stuff to be binned towards end of shift, and what's left they pick up for pennies.
Apparently a dozen croissants for 30p counts as a meal :lol:

Showing my age now as an old fart. When i was young,any food left would go in a bin for the pig swill man. All edible food went to feed pigs. Bakeries which had bread or cakes went in the swill as well. No landfill ,no waste. The offset ,the Pork and the bacon was full of flavour. No chemical additives.Then the EU decided to change the rules for smallholdings. Happy days ,nice food.:(

My Mrs (no) nearly got sacked aged 18 as a student nurse for eating food that was left over and going in a pigswill bucket😎
Yeah, shocking on hospital wards.
Nurses who can't take a lunch break because there's too many people needing their help. So they work through, unpaid.

But if they take a bite of food that's going to waste its a sackable offence.

Showing my age now as an old fart. When i was young,any food left would go in a bin for the pig swill man. All edible food went to feed pigs. Bakeries which had bread or cakes went in the swill as well. No landfill ,no waste. The offset ,the Pork and the bacon was full of flavour. No chemical additives.Then the EU decided to change the rules for smallholdings. Happy days ,nice food.:(
If we're not doing it now it's down to our government.

Same as me, I got sacked from the police force and put in prison for taking 3kg of cocaine and 500g of heroin that was confiscated and due to be incinerated.
It would have just went to waste otherwise.
I used to work in a cafe and a lad that worked there started eating a tostie a customer had left. Bit into it and there was a stubbed out tab end in it. I was buckled for hours 😂
Ach, it's an acceptable risk for a toasties, especially cheese and onion.

Last edited:

Back