Sacked for eating a leftover sandwich

Cleaner sacked for eating sarnies which had been left after solicitors had left their meeting.
The firm has said it is the contractor who has sacked her. Hopefully they'll use their influence to get her reinstated.
Alternatively I hope she gets another job and the cleaning firm has trouble replacing her.

You know what solicitors are like they'd charge you for using their toilet.

"Cheese sandwich fee - £29.30"

I suppose the theory is that if you take an old sandwich you might be taking other stuff too. Arguing racial discrimination is pathetic but par for the course in 2024.

I suppose the theory is that if you take an old sandwich you might be taking other stuff too. Arguing racial discrimination is pathetic but par for the course in 2024.
Read an article last week where the topic was firms struggling to fill low paid positions yet this firm sacks someone for eating a sarnies which was destined for the bin.
Hope they struggle to replace her and her former colleagues find employment with a decent firm.

Read an article last week where the topic was firms struggling to fill low paid positions yet this firm sacks someone for eating a sarnies which was destined for the bin.
Hope they struggle to replace her and her former colleagues find employment with a decent firm.

They probably will. But I know a woman who used to work in the warehouse for I think Home Bargains and she was sacked for eating a packet of crisps out of the stock. If in doubt, don't do it.

I thought the unwritten rule was that once the meeting and buffet was finished then the leftovers could be picked over by the others in the office. If someone in the office wanted a sandwich or cake or something then they should have gone and claimed it. Why let good food go to waste.

Aye but not the same at all …. And you know it

I know how the law works and particularly employment law. Your strong feelings about how things should be won't change how they are.
We could wait for the tribunal decision but of course everyone will have forgotten about this by then.

Some self important jobsworth will have said something. There are some arseholes about.
My mam worked for Mitie for a while cleaning the local Coop. They used to get all the food that was going passed its date for free (before the days to Too Good To Go)

Then the supervisor at the shop changed, and this lass stopped it. All the food HAD to be binned, she even checked the bins ffs. Ruined the only real perk my mam got from the job. And the silly thing is most of it was BBE so it wasn't a food safety issue. But she wouldn't be told that as she was a supervisor and knew better...

Food waste is a big issue globally, it truly is disgusting really.

Back