Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

They'll use the old excuse that the Russians living amongst the Ukrainians have been getting a hard time and they're moving in to sort things out.

Next stop, Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia.

Then Poland.

Putin is a mad man. Another Gorby needs to emerge and calm things down.
I agree, in that Gorbachev was what I consider a real statesman unlike Putin, but Blinken is hardly in the mould of James Baker either. Good diplomacy is needed on both sides and in public neither are showing signs of having it imo.

Historic concerns about the post war role of NATO have never gone away, Gorby was suspicious of America's long term plans and had a hard time resolving to support unified Germany becoming a member.

Here's what he said to Mitterand at the time:
"Previously, the U.S. needed NATO in its military aspect, as a counterweight to Soviet military power. Now it turns out NATO will keep unified Germany in some kind of reliable framework. Quite possibly, this American approach aims to perpetuate NATO. The Americans’ persistence in defending the idea of NATO’s necessity and usefulness makes me wonder: are the Americans thinking to use NATO to create some sort of mechanism, an institution, a kind of directory for managing world affairs?"

But this would be contrary to the positive tendencies of European development, of which the USSR and France were originators
"

Source: Record of conversation between Mikhail Gorbachev and Francois Mitterrand (excerpts). | National Security Archive

A lot of political analysts have said Putin would be willing to and will stop at nothing to prevent a West leaning Ukraine on his doorstep

Hardly a surprise, they need the defensible space to Moscow and the unfettered access to the Black Sea.

They'll use the old excuse that the Russians living amongst the Ukrainians have been getting a hard time and they're moving in to sort things out.

Next stop, Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia.

Then Poland.

Putin is a mad man. Another Gorby needs to emerge and calm things down.
Putin is anything but a mad man, runs rings around western leaders. They know how to play the long game the Ruskies, think he knows sleepy Joe is a soft touch, whether all this is posturing to get NATO to back off or whether he thinks this is a good time to make a move remains to be seen. Ukraine unfortunately will remain a vassal state, no way will Vlad ever allow the west to get their hooks in to it.

That is such a cowardly response

Say something twatty, get called out for it, and then when challenged claim it was just a laugh

Pathetic
You're a bit sensitive aren't you.
Then why bring up something from 80 years ago?
You are aware that the Governments of the Ukraine and the Baltic states allow Marches to commemorate the SS Divisions these Countries had during WW2?

Last edited:
Russia could casually bowl in there shooting locals as they take it and the world would do absolutely nothing about it
I doubt Ukraine would roll over, they have prepared for Russian aggression for a few years.
I also wonder if on the collapse of the Soviet Union Russia was certain it had collected all the nuclear weapons based and stored there.

You're a bit sensitive aren't you.

You are aware that the Governments of the Ukraine and the Baltic states allow Marches to commemorate the SS Divisions these Countries had during WW2?
No, Have to admit I wasn't aware of that, but in your book that means Russia is justified in it's on-going attempts to de-stablise the Baltic States. States they illegally occupied after the end of WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back