Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of those land disputes that is set to rage on forever. Some people there wanna be independent Ukrainian and some people there wanna be Russian.

Some similarities to Ireland, Spain/Catalonia, Israel, Korea etc even in times of peace it seems just a minor quarrel away from kicking right off.

Not sure of the ramifications, could iron itself out as it has down before or could kick into something bigger. Usually iron themselves out these days as no one really wants to go into a full on war knowing what it's likely to lead to (if the superpowers are involved).

You mean it’s the fault of independent sovereign republics to have an independent foreign policy and enter into international agreements independent of their former master?
I'm not saying its right i'm just looking at it from Russias point of view and just imagining how we would have felt if France had become a member of the Warsaw Pact before the Fall of the Soviet Union.

Troubling times. Russia are bad enough with their pointless aggression every single day but there is also China aiming for world domination as well.

I watched something years ago about whether the US could fight two wars and the conclusion was it could then.
They certainly would struggle ten years from now I imagine. Hopefully they've got 30 years of black budget hidden somewhere.

Fun fact. Finland still can't do 1) military exercises in an East direction or 2) have red teams in exercises as they infringe a non aggression pact with Russia.

Finland had MiG jets in cold war.

Alreet Rain Man.
I used to sell stuff to businesses in Russia and it was very rare to ship it directly in there, I would ship things to addresses near the Finnish border and the Russians would sort out the importing of them, as they did it with backhanders. That's my Finland info.

I'm not saying its right i'm just looking at it from Russias point of view and just imagining how we would have felt if France had become a member of the Warsaw Pact before the Fall of the Soviet Union.

You did say this was the Wests fault so it felt like you were saying Russias view was right.

I think every sovereign country should be allowed to join whichever international organisation they choose. Russia has no right to interfere in Ukraines affairs, but boy do they! No, it’s not right. It’s 1938 all over again.
Bulgaria,Romania,Czech,Estonia,Latvia,Lithuania,Hungary and Poland all former members of the Warsaw Pact that are now in NATO with Ukraine wanting to join, and the daft twats expect Russia to do nothing.

I can’t think why any country on Russias border would want to join an organisation committed to mutual defence.

Last edited:
Fun fact. Finland still can't do 1) military exercises in an East direction or 2) have red teams in exercises as they infringe a non aggression pact with Russia.

Finland had MiG jets in cold war.

Alreet Rain Man.
The Fins will do what they want and the only reason that's in place is because if the do a military exercise facing Russia half of Russia will enter hospital with a panic attack from the passed on memories of the last beat down they gave them.

I reckon it's more hot air and posturing on all sides. All the scaremongering reports of troop build ups in the past year or so have proved to be exaggerated. Latest talk of "plans for an invasion" came from a supposed intelligence leak hot on the heals of Zelensky's annual address where he talked about re-taking Crimea, increased military investment and forging closer ties to US and co-operation with NATO.

I look at it and think what will Russia achieve by invading Ukraine? I can't think of anything other than a world of hurt for Russians and Ukrainians alike.

I reckon it's more hot air and posturing on all sides. All the scaremongering reports of troop build ups in the past year or so have proved to be exaggerated. Latest talk of "plans for an invasion" came from a supposed intelligence leak hot on the heals of Zelensky's annual address where he talked about re-taking Crimea, increased military investment and forging closer ties to US and co-operation with NATO.

I look at it and think what will Russia achieve by invading Ukraine? I can't think of anything other than a world of hurt for Russians and Ukrainians alike.
Alreet Neville

You did say this was the Wests fault so it felt like you were saying Russias view was right.

I think every sovereign country should be allowed to join whichever international organisation they choose. Russia has no right to interfere in Ukraines affairs, but boy do they! No, it’s not right. It’s 1938 all over again.

I can’t think why any country on Russias border would want to join an organisation committed to mutual defence.
That is all well and good but then the West have to back Ukraine with force or do nothing. Every country has the right to self determination until the tanks come over the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back