Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES) - Please put sensitive content behind a spoiler

On the dam I am wondering who benefits as it doesn't seem like a shrewd move for either Ukraine or Russia. I'm not really the conspiracy theory type but I think this is either a decision made by a local Russian commander or some 3rd party state seeing this as a way of disrupting both sides plans and steering them towards a negotiated settlement. Assuming the dam didn't just fail due to previously being battered of course.

On the dam I am wondering who benefits as it doesn't seem like a shrewd move for either Ukraine or Russia. I'm not really the conspiracy theory type but I think this is either a decision made by a local Russian commander or some 3rd party state seeing this as a way of disrupting both sides plans and steering them towards a negotiated settlement. Assuming the dam didn't just fail due to previously being battered of course.
Structurally it would t fail to that extent from a bit of shelling . It has to be rigged for that amount of damage..

Gustav Gressel's thread is more informative but at the end of the day, the same general rules apply - the attacking force is expected to take significantly higher losses than the defender if they intend to take and hold territory. It'll get even harder when they approach major urban areas so people should brace themselves.

I think people are making more of it than they need to. It was a blow for the counter offensive and Russia had to damage territory they hope to retain by flooding it - not so different to Ukraine's tactic in Irpin to defend Kyiv. It shows Russia is struggling for troops to defend the southern line

That Röpcke chap is an odd one. He’s at least outwardly pro-Ukrainian but exceptionally pessimistic and always extremely fast to share any Russian propaganda without verification or context.

If his pronouncements were in any way true last year Ukraine wouldn’t have recaptured Kharkiv oblast or Kherson city.
Absolutely correct. Even if it is true - and that is hard to tell without corroborating context - no military operations go completely to plan. The bloodbath on Omaha Beach 79 years ago is a good example. Overlord still succeeded and Nazi Germany still lost the war.

If Russia was winning this fight at the tactical level, there would be far more than just one video like this after the last 72 hours' of increased Ukrainian activity. The relative absence of similar videos on social media tells its own story.

I haven't posted much on this thread as others are far better informed but the destruction of the dam appears to me to have been just one down to a nuclear escalation by Putin. I hope there's a measured but overwhelming response by Ukraine and it's allies.

Is it possible that they only intended to destroy the road and the power station but the explosion coupled with the high water level caused the failure of the top half of the dam.

No, they wanted to show the west they would go down the scorched earth route of mass ecological and civilian loss of life. A reminder to the west that the huge nuclear power plant is still rigged to blow which would poison the black sea the med and north Africa. A "your move" moment to the west.

They are mentally weak cowards to a man and can only mix it up with civilians.

They have caused a further significant food shortage for decades to come.

It's another hideous war crime and there is no dressing it up. Dams with reinforced concrete do not break like that.

I hope they all kill each other in the coming civil war.

Last edited:

Some beleaguered Ivan regional commander could have got his lads to do it to save their skins.

The same may even be said of AFU - albeit highly unlikely.

3rd party outside interests...who knows?

The simple answer is we do not and cannot know.

The information space and news is so highly controlled at the moment its difficult to speculate about anything with any confidence.

Ivans and AFU alike are broadcasting shite and the international media are mixing this around too

By this time next month there should be a clearer picture of what's likely to happen in the temporarily occupied territory.

One final point. Emotions are running high on here at present. Please be patient with posters who have dissimilar views to your own

Back