Russell Martin has Ross Stewart as his main target **Transfer confirmed **

I cannot do anything but wish the lad all the Very Best for Christmas and hope he has a Happy New Year, recovers well and plays better than ever. Bobby Kerr, Michael Bridges, Jan Kirchhoff and other really good players cone to mind.

Sneaky of us but a good move!
Better he’s out of the picture
Not sneaky
That’s what Medicals are for and where due diligence needs to be done
We chose not to ‘pay him what he wants’ as loads on here suggested
He’d had two big injuries in a year, it was public knowledge
All their fault

Neither does non-playing footballers.

I think a few of our fans need dumping in another country without speaking the language and see how long they last. It also can't be easy watching the news every night wondering if family and friends are alive or dead, never mind playing footie.

It must have been seen as a risky transfer. While we have striker issues, Stewart was not, and wouldn't have been for some considerable time yet, the answer to our issues.

I think that's my point though - that a 'non-playing' footballer has contributed almost as much as several of the strikers signed to replace him.

I get the foreign country argument and whilst you're on you can add in the fact most of them aren't coming here with much senior experienced. Again though doesn't that just show the problems we've forced upon ourselves leaving the squad in a position where we needed to bring in 3 or 4 strikers not having one of our own and non of them being really proven to any kind of level (maybe Rusyn). So four of them need to adapt to a higher level of football, three of them adapting to senior football and also three of them adapting to a foreign country. Its also arguable that only one of them is an out and out striker.

As it stands there's still every chance Stewart (who may never be the same) will start contributing sooner than any of the above - let's hope not eh?

I think that's my point though - that a 'non-playing' footballer has contributed almost as much as several of the strikers signed to replace him.

I get the foreign country argument and whilst you're on you can add in the fact most of them aren't coming here with much senior experienced. Again though doesn't that just show the problems we've forced upon ourselves leaving the squad in a position where we needed to bring in 3 or 4 strikers not having one of our own and non of them being really proven to any kind of level (maybe Rusyn). So four of them need to adapt to a higher level of football, three of them adapting to senior football and also three of them adapting to a foreign country. Its also arguable that only one of them is an out and out striker.

As it stands there's still every chance Stewart (who may never be the same) will start contributing sooner than any of the above - let's hope not eh?
I do agree with some of what you're saying. There's no doubt the club haven't got the balance right, but we've lost two Managers now who've been frustrated by the direction of the owners, so its not changing anytime soon, unless he sells up, and we could end up worse off.
We know strikers just cost too much if they're British too. Foreign players are a risk, but they seem to be spreading the risk. I think Burstow will be sent back, and we'll have another one or two in Jan.
But they aren't going to get experience or score goals sitting on the bench, and sometimes it takes a while for these type, particularly youngsters, to bed in. Stewart was bought as a cheap risk which came off. I think they just need time to adjust and minutes on the pitch personally. Maybe a new coach is just what is needed.
The fans need a bit more patience IMHO.

Wow

Comparing Ross Stewart with over 100 games in the UK to a bunch of young lads who don't even have ten starts between them 🤣

I do agree with some of what you're saying. There's no doubt the club haven't got the balance right, but we've lost two Managers now who've been frustrated by the direction of the owners, so its not changing anytime soon, unless he sells up, and we could end up worse off.
We know strikers just cost too much if they're British too. Foreign players are a risk, but they seem to be spreading the risk. I think Burstow will be sent back, and we'll have another one or two in Jan.
But they aren't going to get experience or score goals sitting on the bench, and sometimes it takes a while for these type, particularly youngsters, to bed in. Stewart was bought as a cheap risk which came off. I think they just need time to adjust and minutes on the pitch personally. Maybe a new coach is just what is needed.
The fans need a bit more patience IMHO.

The lack of strikers hasn't just happened though, it's pretty much gone back to initially signing Stewart. there's been little continuity as we've relied on loans and not covered our bases so we've got to this stage where we've had to buy 3 or 4. The problem arises when none are proven over here and none really look ready.

You can't say the fans therefore need more patience when it's halfway through a season after going half (arguably all) the season previous lacking strikers too - it's downright scandalous.

Then you have comments from Speakman excusing it over that period where he suggests Clarke can play as a striker or Dejaku or I quote "the traditional number nine is not as prevalent in our team as it would be in other teams in terms of how we play the game". Absolute bollocks.

We probably needed to invest more wisely during the summer for the club not to be open to criticism on this.

Unless you're a parachute payment club then yes most clubs at this level take failures from elsewhere, PL un21s/un23s, gambles on players from abroad etc. Some on players with a record from Scotland etc or some who are journeymen at this level like your Chris Martin, Will Keane types etc to get you through. We really should have been speculating like we have last summer or January, especially since we went into last season with a loan and uncertainty over Stewart's contract, just as we went into the season previous with Stewart and a loan.
Wow

Comparing Ross Stewart with over 100 games in the UK to a bunch of young lads who don't even have ten starts between them 🤣
Why am I doing that though?

Surely that's the point I'm making. Bringing in four with no record to speak of over here or some at any level is eye opening for a side with any level of ambition?
They should be supported better and be able to be eased in better not expected to be relied on from the off. Poor recruitment to leave us in this position and chuck all four in, one or two players should have been eased in/ adapting maybe since last season or even January.

Last edited:
The lack of strikers hasn't just happened though, it's pretty much gone back to initially signing Stewart. there's been little continuity as we've relied on loans and not covered our bases so we've got to this stage where we've had to buy 3 or 4. The problem arises when none are proven over here and none really look ready.

You can't say the fans therefore need more patience when it's halfway through a season after going half (arguably all) the season previous lacking strikers too - it's downright scandalous.

Then you have comments from Speakman excusing it over that period where he suggests Clarke can play as a striker or Dejaku or I quote "the traditional number nine is not as prevalent in our team as it would be in other teams in terms of how we play the game". Absolute bollocks.

We probably needed to invest more wisely during the summer for the club not to be open to criticism on this.

Unless you're a parachute payment club then yes most clubs at this level take failures from elsewhere, PL un21s/un23s, gambles on players from abroad etc. Some on players with a record from Scotland etc or some who are journeymen at this level like your Chris Martin, Will Keane types etc to get you through. We really should have been speculating like we have last summer or January, especially since we went into last season with a loan and uncertainty over Stewart's contract, just as we went into the season previous with Stewart and a loan.

Why am I doing that though?

Surely that's the point I'm making. Bringing in four with no record to speak of over here or some at any level is eye opening for a side with any level of ambition?
They should be supported better and be able to be eased in better not expected to be relied on from the off. Poor recruitment to leave us in this position and chuck all four in, one or two players should have been eased in/ adapting maybe since last season or even January.

So how do you develop young players? You play them

If we have a Ross Stewart who is fully fit here the young strikers don't play and don't develop

We are in year 2 of the model some just have no patience.

So how do you develop young players? You play them

If we have a Ross Stewart who is fully fit here the young strikers don't play and don't develop

We are in year 2 of the model some just have no patience.

You make sure you have strength/ quality/experience in your team and you introduce them when its right for them whilst supporting them, rather than exposing them and hanging out to dry when they struggle. It's not simply a case of chucking them in at random and seeing if they sink or swim - we're not buying certainties, they have to be developed and you have to prepare them.

Another manager/coach today and another one yet to start with one of those strikers - it seems that with or without Stewart they're still struggling for game time. Are you also suggesting you cannot develop players if there's already experienced players at the club? What absolute nonsense!

Did you miss us often playing with two strikers last season when two was available? Did you miss cup games or Simms / Stewarts injuries and then Simms being recalled? How on earth is one striker enough?

Lack of patience- what an absolute cock womble shouting someone down with nonsense as it doesn't suit. We're in season 3 and through half of it we've had a shortage of strikers. Having let that go on too long we've brought four in and its still a weak area and yet rather than have a constructive debate relevant to how that us harming us and our stance on that you call out someone for being impatient 😀😀😀😀

Last edited:
“Can just see the Crockness Flopba coming on as sub at Wembley and scoring to take us up………”

……still loved more on here than his parent club..

You make sure you have strength/ quality/experience in your team and you introduce them when its right for them whilst supporting them, rather than exposing them and hanging out to dry when they struggle. It's not simply a case of chucking them in at random and seeing if they sink or swim - we're not buying certainties, they have to be developed and you have to prepare them.

Another manager/coach today and another one yet to start with one of those strikers - it seems that with or without Stewart they're still struggling for game time. Are you also suggesting you cannot develop players if there's already experienced players at the club? What absolute nonsense!

Did you miss us often playing with two strikers last season when two was available? Did you miss cup games or Simms / Stewarts injuries and then Simms being recalled? How on earth is one striker enough?

Lack of patience- what an absolute cock womble shouting someone down with nonsense as it doesn't suit. We're in season 3 and through half of it we've had a shortage of strikers. Having let that go on too long we've brought four in and its still a weak area and yet rather than have a constructive debate relevant to how that us harming us and our stance on that you call out someone for being impatient 😀😀😀😀

You just used Simms as a counter point. A lad who was largely inexperienced and used as a lone striker

You waffle some absolute rubbish 🤣

You just used Simms as a counter point. A lad who was largely inexperienced and used as a lone striker

You waffle some absolute rubbish 🤣

Largely inexperienced?

22 years old and 46 games 17 goals on arrival in england and Scotland used alongside Stewart and instead of when Stewart was injured - playing alongside a semi experienced player at the start to help ease him in.

That Ellis Simms? 😀

Bit more proven than sub games and a few starts for Benfica B at 18/19. Or 15 bits of games for Sochaux with 1 goal and some for Sochaux B in France at 17/18 or a few games for Charlton.

Only Rusyn has any real experience, but gauging quality in the Ukranian PL is always going to be a gamble and may need time to adjust, something he may or may not do and will certainly be harder without someone else there already doing the business.

Last edited:

Back