Running thread 2023

11 miles for me this morning with spennymoor parkrun in the middle. Started experimenting with fuelling. Tried tailwind today but it made me feel a bit sickly towards the end and I missed the plan water. Got something called block to try next week.
I use maurten, it's quality. Pricey like.

15 miles completed before the match yesterday. Planning on same next week. Some old fella on one of those scooters racing me round the harbour and path around glass centre :lol: dying at the end and shooting pain in achillies but pleases to have completed it, will rest a bit more during week and nurse ankle through.
Thought i'd add this here as received a link recently. I'm doing Leeds a month after Manchester. If anyone fancies a full marathon they've enough time to train and it's for a brilliant cause with Rob Burrow charity.

Last edited:
11 miles for me this morning with spennymoor parkrun in the middle. Started experimenting with fuelling. Tried tailwind today but it made me feel a bit sickly towards the end and I missed the plan water. Got something called block to try next week.
Never drink during a run but always have half a pint of milk after. It's supposed be good for muscle repair etc. Works for me anyway.

Entries open for Hartlepool Marina 5 Miler Enter Race - Marina 5 Mile Road Race - runbritain

The only gels I've managed to get along with are High 5 Aqua gels. I was a bit sceptical because their normal gels made me gag but they're more like a drink than a traditional gel & I've ran my 2 fastest marathons since I started using them.

Last edited:
Entries open for Hartlepool Marina 5 Miler Enter Race - Marina 5 Mile Road Race - runbritain

The only gels I've managed to get along with are High 5 Aqua gels. I was a bit sceptical because their normal gels made me gag but they're more like a drink than a traditional gel & I've ran my 2 fastest marathons since I started using them.

Get maurten, you'll go quicker.

Impossible not to take anything on board on really long runs. I'd struggle with milk after. Most longer runs I just want to roll over and die afterwards 😩 Interesting to hear everyone's tips like.
After Sunderland half last year I was clamming for a coffee. Went and got one straight away from the little shop oppo the dun cow
Don't dare take any gels incase I follow through

After Sunderland half last year I was clamming for a coffee. Went and got one straight away from the little shop oppo the dun cow

Don't dare take any gels incase I follow through

More than once I've had double maxim straight after a marathon. Don't think kipchoge does it but hey how.

Ankle still in bits for morning long run but I've a support from amazon, ibuprofen gell and strap it up them hope for the best 

Stepped up the marathon training this morning.
Managed a little over HM marathon distance. Planning on getting a few in at this distance then upping it to around 25k.

The match should be fun today. :lol:
Well done. I did 13 miles today too. Then was running late for the bus to the match so had to do a little jog....that was a struggle 🤣. 15 miles next week, it's starting to get hard now.

Well done. I did 13 miles today too. Then was running late for the bus to the match so had to do a little jog....that was a struggle 🤣. 15 miles next week, it's starting to get hard now.
I’m not sure I could’ve mustered a jog like. Walking over the town from the ground was a struggle.
My plan is to get up to at least 20 before May, it feels a long way off after today :lol:

I’m not sure I could’ve mustered a jog like. Walking over the town from the ground was a struggle.
My plan is to get up to at least 20 before May, it feels a long way off after today :lol:
I know what you mean but we'll get there. Next week's run will be my longest ever. Are you following a plan.

I know what you mean but we'll get there. Next week's run will be my longest ever. Are you following a plan.
Sort of. Originally I wanted to do 3 runs a week. a quick one, a medium one and a long one.
I’ve basically added recovery runs into that after researching it. It’s bloody horrible.

Sort of. Originally I wanted to do 3 runs a week. a quick one, a medium one and a long one.

I’ve basically added recovery runs into that after researching it. It’s bloody horrible.

Half of it us in the mind. Great you ran b4 the match, it shows commitment. I managed 15 miles, just but the injury flared up and just about walked the last mile. Think it's tendinitis which could wipe me out completely:( I'm going to take a weekend off if I'm not feeling right next weekend and Hope I'm better after it. Praying I improve as 2 marathons booked.

It's hard work but you'd hate it more if you couldn't do it. Good luck and hope you hit your targets.

Half of it us in the mind. Great you ran b4 the match, it shows commitment. I managed 15 miles, just but the injury flared up and just about walked the last mile. Think it's tendinitis which could wipe me out completely:( I'm going to take a weekend off if I'm not feeling right next weekend and Hope I'm better after it. Praying I improve as 2 marathons booked.

It's hard work but you'd hate it more if you couldn't do it. Good luck and hope you hit your targets.
Spot on about it being in the mind like. I had to basically pass my house at around 17k and I was ready to stop, forced myself to at least reach 18 and once I got there it was fairly easy pushing on.

Hope you recover mate!

Got out for 8km today 49 mins at a nice slow easy pace, the drizzle was lush at first until it turned into a downpour!
2nd km had an elevation of 21m which was brutal but was all down hill after that ! Happy with the pace and how I felt, if the weather wasn’t brutal I would have pushed on to a 10km.

Back