Running thread 2023

Have you settled on a gel type yet?
Tailwind made me feel sick. I like bloks but very sweet. Tried mixing them with pretzels(hour each) but find the pretzels hard to eat when running. Think I'm going to order lucozade sport and try them.
I've tried pasta and pizza in a Friday night but have always got a dodgy tummy towards the end of my long run as I push my body. Weirdly the only time I didn't was when I had a works meal the night before my long run. Had a curry, Including starter and nan, and bizarrely it was the only time I haven't needed a toilet stop. Sure that was just luck rather than a training strategy I should implement 🤣🤣🤣.

Tailwind made me feel sick. I like bloks but very sweet. Tried mixing them with pretzels(hour each) but find the pretzels hard to eat when running. Think I'm going to order lucozade sport and try them.
I've tried pasta and pizza in a Friday night but have always got a dodgy tummy towards the end of my long run as I push my body. Weirdly the only time I didn't was when I had a works meal the night before my long run. Had a curry, Including starter and nan, and bizarrely it was the only time I haven't needed a toilet stop. Sure that was just luck rather than a training strategy I should implement 🤣🤣🤣.
I use SIS but theres no substitute for water. Drink little and often. Gel's and Haribo are useful for anything over 15 miles imo and I'd look to use from 8-9 miles onwards and replenish every 6-8 miles. Everyone is different though. I'd heard you need to train your stomach as much as cardio and legs which makes sense.

Woo hoo. 17 miles done this morning. Not many long runs left now. I'm bloody knackered (although felt the same last week). If you see a 49 year old woman asleep at the game today that will be me 🤣.
Cracking effort that!

I did 24.3k (15.1 miles) this morning. My longest ever run. Finished in just under 2 and a half hours. Started in Washington and finished along the coast.

My legs don’t feel anywhere near as bad as I was expecting but i’ve spent the last hour or so trying not to fall asleep. :lol:

1st 30+ mile week of the year completed with no recurrence of the calf tear & decided it was time to try & push it a bit on the last lap of the cross country this afty with plenty of sharp ups downs with no adverse effects.

Time to start building the miles back up a bit more steadily.

Cracking effort that!

I did 24.3k (15.1 miles) this morning. My longest ever run. Finished in just under 2 and a half hours. Started in Washington and finished along the coast.

My legs don’t feel anywhere near as bad as I was expecting but i’ve spent the last hour or so trying not to fall asleep. :lol:
Well done.My first ever 15 miles was last week and I was surprisingly ok. This week has really took it out if me. Legs starting to feel ok now but I'm still tired. A much needed cutback week this week-I never thought id see a one and a half hour long run as a short one 🤣. After that only 3 more long runs to taper. I can't wait for that taper.
1st 30+ mile week of the year completed with no recurrence of the calf tear & decided it was time to try & push it a bit on the last lap of the cross country this afty with plenty of sharp ups downs with no adverse effects.

Time to start building the miles back up a bit more steadily.
Good news 😊

That's because you don't know about Taper Flu or Maranoia ;)
Thanks for that 🤣🤣🤣.
I got COVID two weeks before my first half marathon which was a bit scary. I know the marathon is a different beast but as (hopefully) I'll have raised 2k for charity, I'll get round even if I crawl. I can't wait, I watched the London marathon T junior school and told my teacher I'd do it one day. The day after my 50th birthday will be that day.

I started on these last year.

Seem to do the job for me.

Can recommend the gels from here too.

Probably not the cheapest but I'm not complaining.

Thank you. I was looking at them last night too. I might give them a try.
Do you just use the bars or gels too.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was looking at them last night too. I might give them a try.
Do you just use the bars or gels too.

I use both.

The bars are more suitable for HM or any cardio lasting longer than 90 mins in my opinion.

I weigh it out into four separate pieces and bag them. Normally around 21g each.

I take one bag before the run, another at mile 4 then again at 7 and 10.

Tastes canny and is gone in a flash.

The gel is a great option too. All depends on what your preference is really. Buy both if you can and give them a go.

I have been experimenting with several gels and energy bars throughout the year and I'll be sticking with these for a bit now.

Since arriving in Dallas in early January training has been really half-hearted.

I’ve toyed with signing up for something difficult these two months, and last week finally signed up to a big challenge. It’s lit the fuse on my urgency & mentality which has turned training so much better almost straight away.

It’s a Mountain race in Colorado in June I’ve went for; the profile elevation is ok but it tops out at 11,500ft which presents a brand new challenge - especially in a hot & pancake flat city.

Last edited:
Since arriving in Dallas in early January training has been really half-hearted.

I’ve toyed with signing up for something difficult these two months, and last week finally signed up to a big challenge. It’s lit the fuse on my urgency & mentality which has turned training so much better almost straight away.

It’s a Mountain race in Colorado in June I’ve went for; the profile elevation is ok but it tops out at 11,500ft which presents a brand new challenge - especially in a hot & pancake flat city.
Sounds brutal. I reckon you'll struggle with the attitude.

Sounds brutal. I reckon you'll struggle with the attitude.
Agreed. I’m arriving on the Sunday and the race is on the next Saturday, planning some hikes to altitude on the Tuesday and Wednesdays - and considering ordering some altitude sickness pills as well.

We will see anyway, committed to doing it now

Last edited:
Agreed. I’m arriving on the Sunday and the race is on the next Saturday, planning some hikes to altitude on the Tuesday and Wednesdays - and considering ordering some altitude sickness pills as well.

We will see anyway, committed to doing it now
Best of luck. One race I've always fancied was the leadville, doubt I'll ever do it.

Got the bar and gels today. Thus week is a cutback week so was meant to be only 🤣 a 90min run. With the ice decided to walk 6 miles into Durham for lunch instead. Took the bar to try out. Found it really refreshing. Only have 3 long runs to try the gel but I'm hoping I'm able to mix the bars, gels and my strawberry bloks for a bit of variety.

Got the bar and gels today. Thus week is a cutback week so was meant to be only 🤣 a 90min run. With the ice decided to walk 6 miles into Durham for lunch instead. Took the bar to try out. Found it really refreshing. Only have 3 long runs to try the gel but I'm hoping I'm able to mix the bars, gels and my strawberry bloks for a bit of variety

Last edited:
Got the bar and gels today. Thus week is a cutback week so was meant to be only 🤣 a 90min run. With the ice decided to walk 6 miles into Durham for lunch instead. Took the bar to try out. Found it really refreshing. Only have 3 long runs to try the gel but I'm hoping I'm able to mix the bars, gels and my strawberry bloks for a bit of variety
I've found the major supermarkets have energy bars on clearance special most times I've been in. Weirdly saw some in bodycare too. Don't always need to spend fortunes to get something that works.

I overate before yesterdays run. Made loads of little mistakes like underhydrating and wearing long top so too hot. Run went horrifically wrong. Dropped 2 minutes a mile on last year and only made 15 miles whilst planned on 18. I too only have a max 3 long runs left and the pain isn;t going anywhere so its clear its not going to be a vintage season this year.

Finally back at it, 4 weeks off seemed to have lost couple of minutes in that time will am sure soon come back though. Not toally sure whats been up with me, reading on garmin stress was up all the time, not recovering while sleeping and HRV nose dived all coming back to normal now. 11 minute miles are fun like.

Back