Running thread 2022

Manchester half for me today too. More of a tortoise than a hare in 2hr 31m but considering I didn't know if I could run a parkrun in may it's good progress. Found out this week Ive got a place in London marathon running for age UK which was the reason I started this running journey earlier this year. I'll be 50 the day before I run!!! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips over the last 6 months.
2hr 31m not tortoise pace mate! Well done 👏

2hr 31m not tortoise pace mate! Well done 👏
I managed tortoise pace. 16 miles at 3 hours. An extra 10 moles to do next week. Thinking it'll be 5 hours plus a decent amount. Just want to finish and will try to enjoy it as much as I can going in well undercooked.
Manchester half for me today too. More of a tortoise than a hare in 2hr 31m but considering I didn't know if I could run a parkrun in may it's good progress. Found out this week Ive got a place in London marathon running for age UK which was the reason I started this running journey earlier this year. I'll be 50 the day before I run!!! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips over the last 6 months.
For that age range and first effort it's a great time. We'll done.

Excellent! Hoy your sponsor form up and I'll hoy in 20p when I get paid.

I ran the Beamish Hall Trail 10k yesterday.

I have never run off solid ground before so wasn't sure what to expect.

The ground itself was roots, grass and mud which wasn't an issue, it was the bloody elevation gain that got me.

Over 1000 feet according to my watch.

Fortunately I ran it quite well and was delighted with a time of around 52 mins.

Registered for the Bamburgh Castes half marathon in two weeks.

Good luck to everyone taking part in races this weekend, hope they go/went well.

I’m here for a little bit of a rant to try and make myself feel better, don’t mind me. I’ve done the GNR the last 3 years (one virtual) and each time decided to do marathon base training over the winter.

First time I got into February the following year, was regularly running 18km without issue before rolling my ankle out for a walk in the snow.

Last year I got into November before being struck down with tendinitis in my knee and not being able to run for a few months.

This year I’ve got some crippling chest infection type thing. Played footy in the rain on Wednesday night, felt fine until I woke up on Friday feeling like it been ran over. Yesterday I was all aches and coughing and today my chest feels full of water and I can barely get a breath. Think it’s bronchitis but off to the walk in this afternoon to get it double checked.

Seems like every time I start getting somewhere something gets in the way. Pissed off.

Update on this - ended up in hospital last night, viral bronchitis. Hopefully over the worst of it.

Taking it easy for a week then repeating the week of the plan I got up to.

Update on this - ended up in hospital last night, viral bronchitis. Hopefully over the worst of it.

Taking it easy for a week then repeating the week of the plan I got up to.
Well you don't do things by half do you 😟. Do take it easy once you get going again. No harm in going slightly backwards on your plan/or even pausing if you aren't quite there - I'm certainly no expert but if you've been hospitalised with a chest infection then a week doesn't seem that long to get back to p to speed.. Wishing you a good recovery - which marathon are you training for?

Well you don't do things by half do you 😟. Do take it easy once you get going again. No harm in going slightly backwards on your plan/or even pausing if you aren't quite there - I'm certainly no expert but if you've been hospitalised with a chest infection then a week doesn't seem that long to get back to p to speed.. Wishing you a good recovery - which marathon are you training for?

Nah, I’m very rarely poorly but when I do get ill it tends to be quite bad. I managed to have a proper nights sleep last night after waking up regularly the past few days and that seems to have helped.

Im not training for a specific marathon. The goal is to build my aerobic base to a point that running a half marathon pretty easy at a steady pace (6:00/kms), be able to go under 1:55 & achieve the marathon distance in any time. I have signed up for a 60k event in the lakes next year, but there will be a lot of walking and elevation so not specifically marathon training.

I’d like to complete a 70.3 triathlon next year and finally an Ironman eventually, so it’s just about building volume so my body becomes more durable.

Well done!
Registered for the Bamburgh Castes half marathon in two weeks.

Nice race. It's blown an absolute gale every time I've done it.

Last edited:
They use the term undulating.

What is route set up like?

Easy run to the finish line?

I'd say undulating is a fair description. No massive climbs or descents.

2 & a bit laps passing the castle & through the town 3 times

Start off out on the coast road & head north towards the castle. According to my garmin miles 1, 7, & 13 are 27m up 10m down. Miles 3, 6, 9 & 12 are 15m up 11m down. Miles 2 & 8 are pretty flat. Miles 4, 5 10 & 11 are mostly downhill.

York marathon a week tomorrow. Watching YouTube video of route. Parts look bleak as in middle of nowhere. Panicking about lack of training. Will do one last long run tomorrow ( I know ow I shouldn't and should be tapered but didn't get near right training so this will be more psychological than physical to prove I can get to longer miles). I usually hit wall at 18 miles. Likely to be 13 to 15 this time. All in the mind from then on and I want another medal.
Its not bleak is nice countryside and villages, the worst bit is probably the drag up 14-19 miles but theres pockets of decent crowds to keep you going. Running through the town centre past the Minster with the bells ringing and crowd cheering, the village at the main turnaround and crowds towards the end are all worth it. Had to defer my entry for this year but will be back next year I really enjoy it and its small enough that the start pens etc isnt too painful.
Most bleak one I did was Boston UK - through the town centre then out into the cabbage and cauliflower fieds for 20 miles.
Signed up for Wooler today :rolleyes::)
My friends doing it she is bricking it a bit lol - have done a couple of 20 mile training runs with her so sure she be fine, be walk in the park after the race you just did for you.

Last edited:
I'd say undulating is a fair description. No massive climbs or descents.

2 & a bit laps passing the castle & through the town 3 times

Start off out on the coast road & head north towards the castle. According to my garmin miles 1, 7, & 13 are 27m up 10m down. Miles 3, 6, 9 & 12 are 15m up 11m down. Miles 2 & 8 are pretty flat. Miles 4, 5 10 & 11 are mostly downhill.
Cheers.

I should be ok looking at that.

Would quite like to beat my GNR run of 1:58.

Its not bleak is nice countryside and villages, the worst bit is probably the drag up 14-19 miles but theres pockets of decent crowds to keep you going. Running through the town centre past the Minster with the bells ringing and crowd cheering, the village at the main turnaround and crowds towards the end are all worth it. Had to defer my entry for this year but will be back next year I really enjoy it and its small enough that the start pens etc isnt too painful.
Most bleak one I did was Boston UK - through the town centre then out into the cabbage and cauliflower fieds for 20 miles.

My friends doing it she is bricking it a bit lol - have done a couple of 20 mile training runs with her so sure she be fine, be walk in the park after the race you just did for you.
Poss my language not greatest when I said bleak. Can remember manchester when they had Carrington section and how demoralising that was. Video I saw from last year it looked dark and wet but I prefer cooler conditions so we'll see what its like on the day. Not prepared at all so just going for finish not a time. If its good I'll return next year.

I ran it last year, and prepped for it being the toughest run I had done. It definitely deserves respect as a tough but achievable day out. Aerobically I think anyone who can do a 20 mile training run can do it - it's more the heavy legs from climbing & descending, along with a lot of the run being in muddy conditions, that makes running in the Cheviots such a challenge for someone who isn't used to it.

There's a c.10mile run from the Langleeford valley that takes in the Cheviot & Hedgehope as a loop which would be good prep if your friend hasn't experienced the Cheviots before. The climb up to the Cheviot from there is the same one the race does. Good chance to try out shoes and kit as well.

Cheers.

I should be ok looking at that.

Would quite like to beat my GNR run of 1:58.

Do-able, particularly if you get good weather. My best GNR time is less than 2 mins better than my best time there & a I said before I've always had howling gales there.
Yorks a good course I thought. The t shirt was crap the year i did it tho.

I've done the marathon 4x & the 10miler 2x & the tshirt has always been crap.

Last edited:
Yorks a good course I thought. The t shirt was crap the year i did it tho.
Not too fussed about the t shirt as long as the medal is decent. Penshaw half and Raby Castle 10k fobed us off with cardboard shite.
Do-able, particularly if you get good weather. My best GNR time is less than 2 mins better than my best time there & a I said before I've always had howling gales there.

I've done the marathon 4x & the 10miler 2x & the tshirt has always been crap.
Hopefully I can stumble around the marathon course once!

Back