Running thread 2021

Basically aye - I don't think there's much uptake to sign up to virtual races, most people who do them have signed up for the real version and had them cancelled / converted into virtual races as a way of the race organisers retaining funds during the pandemic (a lot offer refunds if people prefer).

The only one i've done was the wooler marathon that I was scheduled to run in November, I trained to run that effort so ran a 50k locally that weekend and sent off for a t shirt 😁. Daft really but gives people something to focus on i suppose.
My roommate asked if I fancied running the Vancouver half marathon this weekend as a virtual thing. Not quite getting my head around it. $40 anarl.

There's a 10k run Might do next Sunday.
The problem is it's 28 degrees at 09:00 and I'm roasting now just sitting on the couch. Been out for a slow 5k this at 07:30 morning, 25:20, and at the end was sweating my moobs off.

Anyone subscribe to Strava? I'm thinking about it, didn't know if anyone got any free referrals/months when someone else signs up?
Most people I follow on Strava don't seem to be paying for it, there's definitely an option to have the basics of the app rather than paying for it...or there was.

I have a love/hate relationship with Strava, I enjoy doing well on segments but then seeing one of my friends is faster then it frustrates :lol:
There's a 10k run Might do next Sunday.
The problem is it's 28 degrees at 09:00 and I'm roasting now just sitting on the couch. Been out for a slow 5k this at 07:30 morning, 25:20, and at the end was sweating my moobs off.
Same issue out here (Cyprus), I'm due to run the Limassol HM in November after it was postponed last year and I'm already dreading training. Last year I was getting up at 4am to do a long run before work and the humidity is just grim, it'll not drop off until October/November which is ideal for the race but not training.

Last edited:
Most people I follow on Strava don't seem to be paying for it, there's definitely an option to have the basics of the app rather than paying for it...or there was.

I have a love/hate relationship with Strava, I enjoy doing well on segments but then seeing one of my friends is faster then it frustrates :lol:

Same issue out here (Cyprus), I'm due to run the Limassol HM in November after it was postponed last year and I'm already dreading training. Last year I was getting up at 4am to do a long run before work and the humidity is just grim, it'll not drop off until October/November which is ideal for the race but not training.
I did the Cyprus marathon there in 1986 in March, still managed 2:55, though I was 18 and in the Army. I did a half marathon here two years ago in 1:34, now I'm slow but steady. I was doing 10 mile in an hour then, 16k per hour.

I did the Cyprus marathon there in 1986 in March, still managed 2:55, though I was 18 and in the Army. I did a half marathon here two years ago in 1:34, now I'm slow but steady. I was doing 10 mile in an hour then, 16k per hour.
Yeah I'm way off those times, I'd be delighted with 1:50 for the half. Just to get under 2hrs would be great to be honest, I'm a bit of a plodder.

Yeah I'm way off those times, I'd be delighted with 1:50 for the half. Just to get under 2hrs would be great to be honest, I'm a bit of a plodder.
As long as you're doing some exercise that's what counts.

I ran 5k yesterday with splits of
4:48
4:27
4:25
4:12
3:58
And hade a few well deserved San Miguels afterwards, I slept like a baby last night and have just cycled 12k to work and ready for the day. I'm teaching 2 hours of PE, 2 hours of ICT then 2 hours of Video editing.

Yeah there is a free option and to be honest the stuff I'm getting on the paid subscription I'm not sure is worth it so may well just go back to the basic service.

Yeah there is a free option and to be honest the stuff I'm getting on the paid subscription I'm not sure is worth it so may well just go back to the basic service.
Yeah had the free option, but I did like the relative effort when I had a free trial, but is it worth £43 for the year is the big question!

finished the C25k yesterday and was slightly disappointed in my time blaming the heat, need to get out my huff to get it under the 30 mins,
ive enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would tho
I'm an experienced runner but the heat was awful yesterday, my time was down and my heart rate was up. Don't be too disappointed and keep going to get under 30 minutes.

I'm an experienced runner but the heat was awful yesterday, my time was down and my heart rate was up. Don't be too disappointed and keep going to get under 30 minutes.
i dont think ive ran as far since the kids cancer run when i was in jrs,

to be fair i only need to shave 40 seconds off, so no doubt ill try again in a couple of days

Since my half marathon the other week I've been running like a bag of spanners. Barely got round an easy 7k yesterday. Gonna buy some Vaporflys, that'll help.

Back