Running thread 2021

The only climb is through roker Park
When he said big bastard bank, I thought he meant the one just beside the bridge. Which on this map, you run down. Forgot about that one that goes up to the 183/Sand Point Rd.

Either way, neither are anywhere near the 11/12 mile points.

Did a 'tempo' 5k last night. Still trying to figure out how to run tempo, much harder than on the bike, but set a 5k PB which is encouraging in hitting my goal of running it in <22 minutes.

This is nuts to type because I only ran my first ever 5k 6 weeks ago, but I'm planning on doing a half marathon this weekend :lol:

When he said big bastard bank, I thought he meant the one just beside the bridge. Which on this map, you run down. Forgot about that one that goes up to the 183/Sand Point Rd.

Either way, neither are anywhere near the 11/12 mile points.

Did a 'tempo' 5k last night. Still trying to figure out how to run tempo, much harder than on the bike, but set a 5k PB which is encouraging in hitting my goal of running it in <22 minutes.

This is nuts to type because I only ran my first ever 5k 6 weeks ago, but I'm planning on doing a half marathon this weekend :lol:
What is the longest distance you've tried so far?

Should manage the half then. Is it a race of are you just doing the distance?
Just the distance. Not even looking for a time tbh (although I have numbers in mind), just a benchmark to work from.

I will caveat this with the fact I've been doing super duper long bike riding for years, often in excess of 200 miles day, so I had/have pretty solid cardio coming into this.

Just the distance. Not even looking for a time tbh (although I have numbers in mind), just a benchmark to work from.

I will caveat this with the fact I've been doing super duper long bike riding for years, often in excess of 200 miles day, so I had/have pretty solid cardio coming into this.
Good look for it. Remember the vaseline.

Ran the Ullswater way race today. Really good, and an amazing route / views.

Happy with it personally, a good run for me. Sunburnt and on the beers in Pooley Bridge 🍺☀️
Second double to start so made the cut of this 😅 11 seconds left hand side with the Nike top

Last edited:
Quick question- does the Sunderland HM go up that big bastard bank just past the glass centre?
Yes it does. When I did it that bank took it out of me and then I just got some strength back on the flat of the marina and sea front when that massive bank into Roker Park absolutely floored me. I was destroyed by the time I got out of Roker Park (not for the first time :lol:) and found the last two miles to the finish absolutely brutal.

Did my little half marathon just now. Went alright; didn't go sub-2 hours like I wanted to, but if I can avoid having to do a poo 10k in, getting into an argument with a crackhead and a massive 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 headwind next time, I should be reet.

Next weekend are the Sunderland City runs & Penshaw half marathon;

- Saturday night 5k
- Sunday AM 10k
- Sunday AM Half Marathon
- Sunday AM Penshaw Half

I'm in the 5k and Penshaw, going to give the 5k a good go and see how I feel for the PHM. Anybody else in these?

- Saturday night 5k
- Sunday AM 10k
- Sunday AM Penshaw Half

I'm in the 5k and Penshaw, going to give the 5k a good go and see how I feel for the PHM. Anybody else in these?
Sunderland half for me.

- Saturday night 5k
- Sunday AM 10k
- Sunday AM Penshaw Half

Penshaw half for me.
Did the route last week, its brutal! But class at the same time.
No way you can run all of it, unless your superman

As a complete noob, how do these virtual runs work? You just sign up, tell them you've done X distance and Y time and they post out a medal?

As a complete noob, how do these virtual runs work? You just sign up, tell them you've done X distance and Y time and they post out a medal?
Basically aye - I don't think there's much uptake to sign up to virtual races, most people who do them have signed up for the real version and had them cancelled / converted into virtual races as a way of the race organisers retaining funds during the pandemic (a lot offer refunds if people prefer).

The only one i've done was the wooler marathon that I was scheduled to run in November, I trained to run that effort so ran a 50k locally that weekend and sent off for a t shirt 😁. Daft really but gives people something to focus on i suppose.

Back