Running thread 2021

Ha’way then, signed up for this Sunderland 10k in June. Never enjoyed running, but I’ve put about 1 1/2st on since last March, this will give me a kick up the arse to train.

A year ago I was playing 5aside twice a week, couple of circuit classes at the gym, pretty fit, but that had built up over years of footy & gym classes.

Done just over 6k tonight, about my 5th or 6th run, but I’m struggling. It’s not my lungs, it’s my legs. They’re like lead weights. Really achey calf’s & hamstrings. I’m sure a lot if it is those muscles aren’t in the sane condition as a year ago & haven’t dine much work, but what the advice from you running types? Plod on & it’ll ease up & get better? Specific leg based resistance excercises?

Ha’way then, signed up for this Sunderland 10k in June. Never enjoyed running, but I’ve put about 1 1/2st on since last March, this will give me a kick up the arse to train.

A year ago I was playing 5aside twice a week, couple of circuit classes at the gym, pretty fit, but that had built up over years of footy & gym classes.

Done just over 6k tonight, about my 5th or 6th run, but I’m struggling. It’s not my lungs, it’s my legs. They’re like lead weights. Really achey calf’s & hamstrings. I’m sure a lot if it is those muscles aren’t in the sane condition as a year ago & haven’t dine much work, but what the advice from you running types? Plod on & it’ll ease up & get better? Specific leg based resistance excercises?
Rest! Recovery is just as important as training.

Reet, so...

Sunday, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday morning, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday night 5aside
Then I ran tonight.

Everything felt champion body wise, then I got down the beach & had to drag myself home. Didn’t stop running like. I feel like I need to hit these little milestones, because I did it tonight there’s no excuse to stop next time.

Reet, so...

Sunday, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday morning, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday night 5aside
Then I ran tonight.

Everything felt champion body wise, then I got down the beach & had to drag myself home. Didn’t stop running like. I feel like I need to hit these little milestones, because I did it tonight there’s no excuse to stop next time.
Were you fully recovered from 5 a side?

Were you fully recovered from 5 a side?
Felt it. In truth, I’m probably working out what my body can do again. In my head I’m still at a similar fitness level to a year ago, but I’ve had no resistance training or HIIT. Plus, I’m a year older at 37 & a canny bit heavier. My body will be slowing down naturally without a years worth of eating shite, drinking class beer & exercising loads less.

Felt it. In truth, I’m probably working out what my body can do again. In my head I’m still at a similar fitness level to a year ago, but I’ve had no resistance training or HIIT. Plus, I’m a year older at 37 & a canny bit heavier. My body will be slowing down naturally without a years worth of eating shite, drinking class beer & exercising loads less.
I think you might need to give your body an extra day's rest. Or running before 5 a side, like Sunday or Monday and then again Friday?

:lol:
If you trained, you'll comfortably get 3:30
Jokes aside, it is something I'd definitely be looking to work towards, but the goal at the minute is to just lose some weight. Despite being an elite-level ultra endurance athlete, I'm tipping the scales at 100kg. :eek:

Jokes aside, it is something I'd definitely be looking to work towards, but the goal at the minute is to just lose some weight. Despite being an elite-level ultra endurance athlete, I'm tipping the scales at 100kg. :eek:
I feel skinny :eek: 97.5kg. I could go sub 3 at this weight

This! I was burning out last year, trying to run 5 times a week whilst working 12h a day offshore, as well as having a 12 month old when i was home, kept it up for a while but then lost all want for it.

Very easy to put too much pressure on yourself, especially if you are trying to lose weight

I think you might need to give your body an extra day's rest. Or running before 5 a side, like Sunday or Monday and then again Friday?
One thing I’ve thought about, I live next to the Grange. I’ve been running to the Wearmouth Bridge, along the beach & back up Sea Road way. The last leg is mostly up hill. Not much I can really do about that, as in every direction you’re travelling on a decline, so need to come back up to get home. Even when I’ve done a lap of the SoL to come back, SoL to Southwick is uphill more or less to Thompson Park.

Think my final training route will be to Blacks Corner, along through Boldon to Cleadon & back up past the AoL. For the abattoir to the VW garage will be a bit of a slog.

One of the lads I’m doing this marathon with ran 18 miles in March, 23 so far in April, at paces much slower than the other two running. Looks like this is gonna be the slowest marathon in history

Reebok got 25% off if you use code SPRING, expires in a few days, picked up some Floatride Energy Symmetros runners for £75.

Back