Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enterer Manchester for 3rd year running.Looking to PB and get sub 4 hours. Managed to take approx 20=25 mins of PB last 2 so hopefully hthis can be achieved. Out last night in the rain and clocked 13.25 miles. Slow pace as took 2 hours 15 but was a little "damp" so won't beat myself up about it. Gotta at least match distance or better it next week to gradually get to 23 miles by end of Feb /start of March. Gonna be tough training in winter again but I'm determined and motivated.

Reactions: D.A
11 miles today, one of them runs where it just feels awful the entire way, legs like lead.
Took 28 seconds off per mile from last Sunday’s 10 mile run though, with more elevation and running with a kg of water so that’s all positive.

Request for some advice from the experienced runners on here.

I signed up to a half marathon a while ago scheduled to take place on 8th December, however realised quickly after having changed jobs that I would not have the annual leave needed in order to travel there, so naturally didn't train. Fast forward and now looks like my boss is fine for me to 'work from home' so have now have 6 weeks including this week to get ready if I decide to go as its abroad.

Currently running 5km twice weekly at ave. 5.15-5.20/km ish pace (is coming down quickly, new pb yesterday at 25.55 mins) and did a longer 8km run last week which I did in 46mins (but found the last 2km very tough going).

Originally I wanted to set a target for the half marathon to complete in less than 2hrs, which might be tough going now as I am struggling with longer runs.

Planning on doing the following over the next 6 weeks starting this week;

Weekday run: 1 x 5km fast pace
Weekend long run: 1 x 10km (increase by 2km every week up to 18km 1 week out from race) target 5.30-5.40/km pace

I play tennis every week and will do another mid-week 5km in the weeks I don't

Do you think this is the best approach or any better advice of things to do / even to keep injury free? (I feel it after the long runs but can recover in about 2 days)

Any help much appreciated!

Trying to improve my shorter distance running through November since I am struggling to get the longer ones in.

8 miles yesterday @ 8.16 per mile which is steady for me. Probably 5k, 10k , possibly park run, and 10 mile this week in that order.

Last edited:
Trying to improve my shorter distance running through November since I am struggling to get the longer ones in.

8 miles yesterday @ 8.16 per mile which is steady for me. Probably 5k, 10k , possibly park run, and 10 mile this week in that order.
Throw in some sprint intervals into your training, I found a big improvement when I introduced them.

Request for some advice from the experienced runners on here.

I signed up to a half marathon a while ago scheduled to take place on 8th December, however realised quickly after having changed jobs that I would not have the annual leave needed in order to travel there, so naturally didn't train. Fast forward and now looks like my boss is fine for me to 'work from home' so have now have 6 weeks including this week to get ready if I decide to go as its abroad.

Currently running 5km twice weekly at ave. 5.15-5.20/km ish pace (is coming down quickly, new pb yesterday at 25.55 mins) and did a longer 8km run last week which I did in 46mins (but found the last 2km very tough going).

Originally I wanted to set a target for the half marathon to complete in less than 2hrs, which might be tough going now as I am struggling with longer runs.

Planning on doing the following over the next 6 weeks starting this week;

Weekday run: 1 x 5km fast pace
Weekend long run: 1 x 10km (increase by 2km every week up to 18km 1 week out from race) target 5.30-5.40/km pace

I play tennis every week and will do another mid-week 5km in the weeks I don't

Do you think this is the best approach or any better advice of things to do / even to keep injury free? (I feel it after the long runs but can recover in about 2 days)

Any help much appreciated!
You sound like you have a decent baseline fitness so you should be fine to get through the run. Id go with adding in the extra run through the week. Get the long run up to 10/11 miles.

I’d say you need 12 weeks of training though to really target a particular time.

Depending on your age you might find you’ll need to stretch and foam roll as you run a bit further.

P.S. your boss lets you ‘work from home’ whilst you disappear abroad for a race ?! Where is the run?
Really pleased with this year. My last year of personal bests was 2016.

5km - pb
10km - 1 second off my pb
Half marathon - pb
Marathon - pb
Kielder dark skies - pb
Deva triathlon - pb
Triathlon x half - pb
Finished the Lakeland 100 so classing that as a pb
Great year that Dan. Just missing a few stellar cross country performances :)

Last edited:
You sound like you have a decent baseline fitness so you should be fine to get through the run. Id go with adding in the extra run through the week. Get the long run up to 10/11 miles.

I’d say you need 12 weeks of training though to really target a particular time.

Depending on your age you might find you’ll need to stretch and foam roll as you run a bit further.

P.S. your boss lets you ‘work from home’ whilst you disappear abroad for a race ?! Where is the run?

I got a pb at wrekenton just by finishing, I twisted my ankle last year.

Thanks mate. Will take that advice on where I can. In two minds whether to go or not to be honest. I have my place, just not the rest. Will update if I go.

It’s the Angkor Wat Half-Marathon in Cambodia. Only a couple of hours from where I am.

Entry for this years Doorstep Runs is now open.

Entry for each run is £20. Last year we raised almost £3000 for our nominated charities, it would be great to smash that total this year.

We're already off to a great start thanks to our very generous 13 t-shirt sponsors.

As always we'll need some marshals to guide the runners and man the water station at Gypsy's Green so if you can help out please volunteer.

Hope to see as many as you as possible on the day.

Entry for this years Doorstep Runs is now open.

Entry for each run is £20. Last year we raised almost £3000 for our nominated charities, it would be great to smash that total this year.

We're already off to a great start thanks to our very generous 13 t-shirt sponsors.

As always we'll need some marshals to guide the runners and man the water station at Gypsy's Green so if you can help out please volunteer.

Hope to see as many as you as possible on the day.
That looks decent, is there a link to the course routes?
Found them

They've actually expired and I can't see a similar page elsewhere..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back