Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people deal with chafing? I wear my standard day-to-day boxers (the trunk style, not baggy) and always end up chafing on my longer runs (8miles+). Have looked at some proper anti chafing boxers online but they're expensive for something that may not work. Because it's the fact my boxers ride up, meaning the legs bunch together and rub, I am considering getting some budgie smuggler / Y-front type undies to see if they eliminate the problem.

Any thoughts/experiences?
I use Reebok sports underwear to prevent chub run.

Training for the GNR so tried a half marathon today to gauge how my body copes with the distance. 1 hour 54, the last 4km was murder. Hoping for sub 1 hr 50 in September.

However I thought a HM was 21km exactly, so it doesn't count on my Garmin or Strava. Devastated!

How do people deal with chafing? I wear my standard day-to-day boxers (the trunk style, not baggy) and always end up chafing on my longer runs (8miles+). Have looked at some proper anti chafing boxers online but they're expensive for something that may not work. Because it's the fact my boxers ride up, meaning the legs bunch together and rub, I am considering getting some budgie smuggler / Y-front type undies to see if they eliminate the problem.

Any thoughts/experiences?
I run commando under cycling shorts and tape my schlong to my inside thigh, just above the knee.

Runs 10K or less just running shorts with a mesh liner. Longer than that & I use compression shorts. Kalenji & Kiprun stuff from Decathlon & Sub Sports stuff off Amazon are good value for money.

Did Hamsterley today. Completly wrong time of year as more flies than Ethiopia in the 80's :eek::oops:

Was very poorly organised imo, starter had no loud speaker. Mile markers incorrecty spaced and got worse as the course went on. One or two or the marshalls had questionable attitudes which shocked me as all races i've done before they're usually spot on. The route was very challenging with best part of 9 out of the first 10 miles being up hill, especially the start which was very extreme. 10 miles in though sadly track road was like lunar surface and became impossible to run on, add to that a very steep drop and my backs now killing me. Hopefully i'm feeling better by Durham 10k on Thursday.

Training for the GNR so tried a half marathon today to gauge how my body copes with the distance. 1 hour 54, the last 4km was murder. Hoping for sub 1 hr 50 in September.

However I thought a HM was 21km exactly, so it doesn't count on my Garmin or Strava. Devastated!
Good time that when just out on your own mate.

I'm not training for anything but have also just done 2 half marathons on my own in the past month, both 1hr55 (the second one a few seconds quicker) and I was exactly the same, 11 miles in and my legs gave in! Managed to drag myself around the last 2 miles! Just got home now from my usual Monday morning 5 miler and it was a struggle, still stiff from Saturday! Good luck with your training anyway, I dare say with your current time, plus a couple of months left to train and the fact that the atmosphere and competition at races helps you go that bit quicker, you'll get the 1hr 50 you want!

I'm not training for anything but have also just done 2 half marathons on my own in the past month, both 1hr55 (the second one a few seconds quicker) and I was exactly the same, 11 miles in and my legs gave in! Managed to drag myself around the last 2 miles! Just got home now from my usual Monday morning 5 miler and it was a struggle, still stiff from Saturday! Good luck with your training anyway, I dare say with your current time, plus a couple of months left to train and the fact that the atmosphere and competition at races helps you go that bit quicker, you'll get the 1hr 50 you want!

I thought I had dropped the pace enough to be able to finish stronger, but my legs just weren't used to it. Will do some more 10 milers over the next few weeks to get the miles in the legs. Well earned rest today though!

Runs 10K or less just running shorts with a mesh liner. Longer than that & I use compression shorts. Kalenji & Kiprun stuff from Decathlon & Sub Sports stuff off Amazon are good value for money.
Ordered some Kalenji tight shorts from Decathlon, thanks for the recommendation!

Aye literally just read the email. 5k and 10k start together, that's going to be fun :confused:

Aye route change to follow as well, I’m expecting because they can’t close round by Durham school with the A167 being shut, should be a right laugh!

I would put it on my neck, shoulders and too of my arms.

Never ran in heat like this to be honest, I’m going to do a gentle 5k tomorrow night and see how it feels before the main event.

Aye route change to follow as well, I’m expecting because they can’t close round by Durham school with the A167 being shut, should be a right laugh!

Never ran in heat like this to be honest, I’m going to do a gentle 5k tomorrow night and see how it feels before the main event.
Just take it easy for the first 5km, see how you feel, then push on if you feel ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back