Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started the c25k before Xmas now 2 weeks left until I complete the 10k version.

Did the same at the beginning of 2018 and got through to finishing the 10k, not fast times, just 10min/mile plods. Kept that going for a good few months until I had achilles trouble and had to stop for a good few months.

Now back, faster runs 8.5/9min/miles and more importantly weight training and balance work which is helping no end in the ankle, legs and achilles department, no hint of stress in those.

Aim to finish the 10k and revert back to just 5k but work it up to as fast as I can go, I'll play around with it, keep the weights up and probably change it from a 3 day week to one run every other day.

I'd advise having at least 1 day of complete rest per week. Recovery is important

Bit of a shit 8 miler today. Even walked for about half a mile.
Been a bit of a funny week so I'm just writing it off as a bad one and hoping next one is better.
I ran about 8 miles today - I do one long slow plod a week and I incorporated some x-country and trails. It burned off some calories to make room for the curry I’ve had.

Do you have an injury or just an off day?

I ran about 8 miles today - I do one long slow plod a week and I incorporated some x-country and trails. It burned off some calories to make room for the curry I’ve had.

Do you have an injury or just an off day?
Just an off day. I have a permanent foot injury that I manage but that wasn’t the problem.
Lack of sleep and rushing about all week probably took its toll.

Foot is knacking from yesterday’s run, was gonna do a run tomorrow as I’m away with work the next 2 days but can’t see it being better that quick.

Foot is knacking from yesterday’s run, was gonna do a run tomorrow as I’m away with work the next 2 days but can’t see it being better that quick.
Go on a bike instead? Few days rest do no harm to your fitness rather than risk weeks out

Just an off day. I have a permanent foot injury that I manage but that wasn’t the problem.
What’s the foot injury mate ? I’ve got an old injury on inside of foot, hadn’t felt it for ages then slipped last Sunday on some steps and it’s been knacking since , sick as , genuinely give up now

Last edited:
Go on a bike instead? Few days rest do no harm to your fitness rather than risk weeks out

Just got s new bike so heading in to the garage to see what biking stuff I still have off years ago, they gonna head out somewhere on it. Not easy with the kids in tow like!

What’s the foot injury mate ? I’ve got an old injury on inside of foot, hadn’t felt it for ages then slipped last Sunday on some steps and it’s been knacking since , sick as , genuinely give up now
It's a combination of three different things including osteoarthritis and gout. Basically my big toes don't bend so I push off from the wrong part of my foot. It explains my knee problems over the last few years as well. Have to limit my runs to three a week. Got insoles and exercises to do to try and improve things and back in a couple of weeks to possibly get custom insoles.
Had so many set backs that I'm desperate to do the Sunderland half in May. Since I did it in 2014 I've managed the GNR once and been injured or hospitalised for every other run I've signed up for.
I'd like to get a PB but at the moment I'll be happy to get round and beat my time from GNR which was a shocker.

Four and a bit yesterday and another ten miles today in windy as fuck conditions. Never ever seemed to get the wind behind me either, the prick.

Need to get a race in soon as feel like I'm flying at the moment.

Bit of a shit 8 miler today. Even walked for about half a mile.
Been a bit of a funny week so I'm just writing it off as a bad one and hoping next one is better.
Happens randomly sometimes man, I remember one weekend a while back I ran 11 miles and the next I had to quite at 6 because I just had absolutely fuck all, and there was no rhyme or reason to it. I think you've got to push yourself but there's always a point where you have to know when to give it up and just shrug your shoulders.

It's a combination of three different things including osteoarthritis and gout. Basically my big toes don't bend so I push off from the wrong part of my foot. It explains my knee problems over the last few years as well. Have to limit my runs to three a week. Got insoles and exercises to do to try and improve things and back in a couple of weeks to possibly get custom insoles.
Had so many set backs that I'm desperate to do the Sunderland half in May. Since I did it in 2014 I've managed the GNR once and been injured or hospitalised for every other run I've signed up for.
I'd like to get a PB but at the moment I'll be happy to get round and beat my time from GNR which was a shocker.
Go and see sr acupuncture and tui na. He'll loosen your toes.

Go and see sr acupuncture and tui na. He'll loosen your toes.
I've got another appointment at the hospital in a couple of weeks to see if I've made any progress with the exercises and insoles. If not, I might give that a go. Always been a little sceptical of acupuncture but you've mentioned it a few times.

first early morning run in ages today. Found it really hard for a 5k, dunno how I used to do the reguarly. Hate exercising having not eaten anything.

first early morning run in ages today. Found it really hard for a 5k, dunno how I used to do the reguarly. Hate exercising having not eaten anything.
I find my bones and joints aren't ready for a run on an early morning. Lack of food doesn't bother me, I can probably do 16 miles before struggling.

I've got another appointment at the hospital in a couple of weeks to see if I've made any progress with the exercises and insoles. If not, I might give that a go. Always been a little sceptical of acupuncture but you've mentioned it a few times.
Went to see him today.

Clicked all my back and put me straight. My tibia and fibula in both legs were out. My ankles were out. Loads of knots in my calf. Popped them with needles and an extremely deep tissue massage after. Then he done my neck and shoulders.

Last edited:
Getting up to distances now where I need to think of fuelling mid run, any recommendations? Not keen on the thought of eating while running like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back