Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 min slow plod with an auld ex harrier , was good to get out and crack on but ffs I’ve lost any fitness I ever had originally :lol: ... passed a couple of milfs which is always a bonus

Last edited:

I'm not really if I'm honest, just doing it to keep fit and cos I enjoy it. That said, my next will probably be a half because it helps with motivation and because my last half in October was a bit of a nightmare and I want to exorcise those demons.
I tended to enter a race too so that it forced me to train to avoid potential embarrassment. I train x3 times per week at running but I only look forward to, and enjoy the longer slow runs.

60 min slow plod with an auld ex harrier , was good to get out and crack on but ffs I’ve lost any fitness I ever had originally :lol: ... passed a couple of milfs which is always a bonus
You need to learn to slip stream the WADs.

I tended to enter a race too so that it forced me to train to avoid potential embarrassment. I train x3 times per week at running but I only look forward to, and enjoy the longer slow runs.
Yeah same here come to think of it. The other two tend to be shorter ones before or after work around 3-4 miles, although last week I joined a running club that meets on a Tuesday night, and did park run yesterday, so that social element helps with the enjoyment.

Do you run only mate or do other stuff
I switch between trying to improve at running and weights. Currently run-weights-rest concentrating on running Eg.

Sun: long run
Mon: weights
Tues: rest
Weds: 5 x1k fast interval run
Thurs: weights
Fri: rest
Sat: 3x 1mile fast with 2 mins recovery.

I switch between trying to improve at running and weights. Currently run-weights-rest concentrating on running Eg.

I'm trying to fit some weight training into my week, do you find two sessions are enough to keep you looking buff as owt and that? ;)

I'm trying to fit some weight training into my week, do you find two sessions are enough to keep you looking buff as owt and that? ;)
I switch priorities between weights and running but at the moment I am working on reducing my running times.

When it gets too hot I will struggle to run as fast as I do in winter spring autumn so I might do 3 weights sessions a week and 2 indoor rower/bike hiit sessions. I could run early in the morning or after 8ish in the evening but I really am hopeless if the temperature is above 18C.

The big factor is food. I got quite muscley and bulky but I was eating like a hoss. When I run more often I lose a bit of weight so I am trying to stay lean until our holidays in late May.

It’s worth doing some weights though. I do some deadlifts and split squats but take it easy if my legs are sore from running.

Why not make the rest days very easy 30-35 min runs ? After all the days you do weights you are not running so in some respects are rest days also (from running perspective ) would make big diff to your running within 12 weeks . I have always done weights mind , don’t ever want the runners Auschwitz look , running strips your shoulders arms n chest

Why not make the rest days very easy 30-35 min runs ? After all the days you do weights you are not running so in some respects are rest days also (from running perspective ) would make big diff to your running within 12 weeks . I have always done weights mind , don’t ever want the runners Auschwitz look , running strips your shoulders arms n chest
Does it?! :lol::lol:

Ta.
When we played football we’d put a blob of Vaseline on our eyebrows.

Another bloke out running today was wearing a cap but I prefer not to wear head gear.
Couldn't have Vaseline on my face like. I would wipe it off immediately as soon as a bead of sweat appeared.

Could have done with a cap today, canny sunny.

Last edited:
I have tried consecutive running days and I tended to pick up more injuries mate.

Plus I really look forward to an off-day. I take the dog for an hour across fields so it isn’t a totally lazy day.

I’m not in a big rush to enter any races, I won’t ever be brilliant but I’m enjoying it when I chip off the times over 1, 3 or 4 miles. The irony is that I think that I’d prefer to do a half marathon as I’ve been fine up to 10 miles without much effort.

Ta.
When we played football we’d put a blob of Vaseline on our eyebrows.

Another bloke out running today was wearing a cap but I prefer not to wear head gear.
I wear a headband as it keeps the sweat off and also helps my headphones stay in me lugs. Have to admit I look like a right fuckwit tho, more than usual, but fuck it I don’t care enough to let it stop me.

Need to get back out there and need something to focus on, so just signed up to the Edinburgh marathon. I’ve never ran further than a half marathon before, bricking it!
Does anyone know how to let them know your expected time? I have logged in but been thru the whole website and there’s nowhere to put a time in.

Does anyone know how to let them know your expected time? I have logged in but been thru the whole website and there’s nowhere to put a time in.

When you log in to your profile click on "My Events" & at the bottom of the box with the pale blue background there's an "Alter Entry" link at the bottom.

When I log in, it’s as if I haven’t got a place!

I thought that at first because the first thing I could see was Future Events & then

2019 EDINBURGH MARATHON FESTIVAL

2019 Edinburgh Marathon
Sun 26th May 2019

& then over the right hand side there's the EMF logo with the "Enter Online >" box underneath it. Below that though is a section with a pale green background (sorry, it looked pale blue when I had a different light on). The first line of text in that section says "If you have not received your Event Pack in the post by Thursday 23rd May, then please let us know "

Further down that section it says Entry Status: Approved & my entry method, current predicted time etc & the last line at bottom of that section there's a link that says Alter Entry.

If you don't have any of that you need to get in touch with them.

Started the c25k before Xmas now 2 weeks left until I complete the 10k version.

Did the same at the beginning of 2018 and got through to finishing the 10k, not fast times, just 10min/mile plods. Kept that going for a good few months until I had achilles trouble and had to stop for a good few months.

Now back, faster runs 8.5/9min/miles and more importantly weight training and balance work which is helping no end in the ankle, legs and achilles department, no hint of stress in those.

Aim to finish the 10k and revert back to just 5k but work it up to as fast as I can go, I'll play around with it, keep the weights up and probably change it from a 3 day week to one run every other day.

Started the c25k before Xmas now 2 weeks left until I complete the 10k version.

Did the same at the beginning of 2018 and got through to finishing the 10k, not fast times, just 10min/mile plods. Kept that going for a good few months until I had achilles trouble and had to stop for a good few months.

Now back, faster runs 8.5/9min/miles and more importantly weight training and balance work which is helping no end in the ankle, legs and achilles department, no hint of stress in those.

Aim to finish the 10k and revert back to just 5k but work it up to as fast as I can go, I'll play around with it, keep the weights up and probably change it from a 3 day week to one run every other day.
Nice one. Don’t be too concerned about your pace. I try not to compare times with other runners - I am racing against myself.

You have done really well to work up to 10k. Do what you enjoy and try to avoid injuries. Everything else is superfluous for most of us amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back