Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not. I just wear normal trainers without my insoles in. Do I need to go somewhere in particular for them?

I had problems over the years with shins and tried insoles and different trainers etc, last year I was told shortening my stride may work and have a look at how I actually land(I was landing on my heels), I spent about 3-4 month slowly working on shortening the stride and landing on the ball of my foot and I now have no problems with my shins, its even saving me money as I don't have to buy expensive trainers anymore thinking they would help me.

I was planning on going for a run tonight but it is so cold and I had too much to do so will do a double in Friday

I think I've overdone it a bit somehow. Went for runs on Mon, Wed and Friday last week (approx. 2-2.5 miles so nowt too far). Walked to and from the match and then walked yesterday for about 90 minutes.

Went to go for another run tonight and after about 10 minutes I couldn't continue coz of my calfs and achilles (I think). Felt like they were gonna brick up and had to walk the rest of the distance. Pretty gutted.
It's been much the same for me. Although the pain in my calves reduces when I'm running and is worse when I walk. Running about the same distane as you and chucking in walks of 3 or 6-8 miles on my non-running days. Feeling the benefit though, not as out of breath when running or walking up the steep bits of hlls.

Where are you based, if you're northwest or South Yorkshire based there's an excellent shop called Mountainfeet in Marsden ran by a guy who measures gait and who fill fit you with walking boots or trainers. I got a pair of boots from him last year with shaped insoles and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever had. If I keep running I'm thinking of going back to get some running shoes from there.

I think I've overdone it a bit somehow. Went for runs on Mon, Wed and Friday last week (approx. 2-2.5 miles so nowt too far). Walked to and from the match and then walked yesterday for about 90 minutes.

Went to go for another run tonight and after about 10 minutes I couldn't continue coz of my calfs and achilles (I think). Felt like they were gonna brick up and had to walk the rest of the distance. Pretty gutted.

I thought foam rollers were just another exercise fad but I get bad tendinitis symptoms and got one as a "hail mary" sort of deal to try keep me running. Its not a miracle but just using it like in
3 times a day (combined with sets of 15 eccentric heel drops whenever im going up stairs) has really helped.

I went for a couple of runs today. Just over a mile each as I had a meeting.

f***ing loving this running lark.

Knocked down by the tummy bug last couple of days so good to be back out again in the sunshine.

I went for a couple of runs today. Just over a mile each as I had a meeting.

f***ing loving this running lark.

Knocked down by the tummy bug last couple of days so good to be back out again in the sunshine.

Running drags people in so easy, I started with just a few runs because I packed in tabs and was putting a little beef on, a few years later im completing marathons and chasing times I would never of dreamed of when I started, and I look much better being 2/3 stone lighter than I was before I started, plus I eat like a pig all the time and I don't put a lb on anymore, it really is a addiction when you get going.

1st run in 2 weeks yesterday, 5k in 23 minutes, not great but felt ok at the end, the beginning was a bit rough in my knees.

Just started running again this year, was never quick by any stretch but good lord painfully slow now, let myself go big time! Took about 25 minutes to do 3.5k yesterday.

Long, long way to go to get back to my personal best (10k in 58 mins - as i said, i was never particularly quick).

Set yourself achievable goals and stick to them. To get out a few times a week, enjoy it and don't sicken yourself off by doing too much is the key. Having said that I have set myself a goal of at least 1000 miles this year.

3 weeks until i can do something again. Patience is not my strong point.

Have spent the time out injured in the last couple of weeks doing a 40 minute daily core strengthening session. Boring as hell but hopefully it will help longer term once I am back running.

Right I went for a couple of shorter runs today despite being drenched with a cold.
Loving this running now :D

Is there a method for increasing my distance or do I just try and up my longer runs by a half mile each time?
I try and do a few short runs a week and one of at least 3 miles.

Right I went for a couple of shorter runs today despite being drenched with a cold.
Loving this running now :D

Is there a method for increasing my distance or do I just try and up my longer runs by a half mile each time?
I try and do a few short runs a week and one of at least 3 miles.

Im sure there is a scientific way of increasing your distance but I would recommend a little at a time, if you want to go further just slow you normal pace down a little so when you get to your 3mile you still have a bit left in the tank to do that extra distance, my long run on a Sunday is my slowest run of the week by a good minute a mile, trying to much and to fast leads to injury's in my experience, why not do your normal 3 mile and then do another mile jogging and walking maybe in 200m distances and when you think you are ready jog 3.5 mile and do a little extra running/walking, you long run is just about time on your feet not speed.

Im sure there is a scientific way of increasing your distance but I would recommend a little at a time, if you want to go further just slow you normal pace down a little so when you get to your 3mile you still have a bit left in the tank to do that extra distance, my long run on a Sunday is my slowest run of the week by a good minute a mile, trying to much and to fast leads to injury's in my experience, why not do your normal 3 mile and then do another mile jogging and walking maybe in 200m distances and when you think you are ready jog 3.5 mile and do a little extra running/walking, you long run is just about time on your feet not speed.
I run so slowly already :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back