Running costs of older properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: Heating bills.
I've had a couple of very old houses and found them to be warm in winter and cool in summer. With a mid terrace even better.
Stick a couple of woodburners in.

Did a 16 year stretch in a period house,fantastic period features and size etc but i was never away from B&Q .These ones look in good nick so it shouldnt be too bad,but i bought low and the top of my budget and just plodded on,eventually stuff needed doing.Roof,kitchen floor,hall floor,numerous damp courses,boiler,windows,guttering,railings,out buildings etc etc..Prking was a nightmare and passing punters,and a Mackem x said it always seemed dark and cold...In new build and the contrast is what i like,bright airy,put the heating on and in ten minutes its toasty.Nowt to do but enjoy ya life.Everythings new and working

Both houses are lovely. Neither have gardens tho which is a major downside for me like.

The first one is right on chester road n'arl which is hardlys ideal.

Ideal if your a muslim though.

or you buy a house without so much wasted space?
I grew up in fairly non-descript 60's and 70's semis in a dull commuter town in the south east. It was always an aspiration of mine to live in a Victorian house with high ceilings, coving, chandeliers etc. I love my house , so I'm willing to put up with the ridiculous energy bills.

My combined gas and electric bill is about £250 a month over the winter. That's the main eye-opener having moved into a victorian end-terrace after living in a new build mid-terrace. Mind you, my house has suffered from subsidence in the past and been underpinned, so my house insurance is eye-watering.
:eek:

I grew up in fairly non-descript 60's and 70's semis in a dull commuter town in the south east. It was always an aspiration of mine to live in a Victorian house with high ceilings, coving, chandeliers etc. I love my house , so I'm willing to put up with the ridiculous energy bills.

Well thats what life is about - make your own choices about what you want to do and every one has different views. They certainly aren't for me having lived in one for a bit. Too much hassle and expense for me.

I bought into the whole preservation thing,when i did stuff it was in keeping,lead on the bays,welsh slate roof,rattly sash windows,coving re instated and matched , but over that time i saw house after house in the street wrecked by landlords and tenants alike putting horrible plastic crap on their houses.The council were supposedly keeping an eye on things but nowt happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back