Running costs of older properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking to move to a bigger house, and I'm considering the older Victorian/Edwardian houses around Barnes, Thornhill and Ashbrooke, like these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36838976.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39133739.html

Are they really much more to run than your more modern houses, anyone live in one similar?

You can come to the gym with me fat lad! :lol:

General upkeep is next to nowt compared to shoddily built new builds mate. The bairns will love The Barnes area too. It's class.

A lot on Chester rd have had problems with the bays.(movement )If I remember rightly one fell out all together,take note when you pass there is always a scaffold up on one of them.

The best ones in the town that type of style are opposite roker park,but you won't get a one for £190k.

Looking to move to a bigger house, and I'm considering the older Victorian/Edwardian houses around Barnes, Thornhill and Ashbrooke, like these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36838976.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39133739.html

Are they really much more to run than your more modern houses, anyone live in one similar?
The Westlands are at the end of my street, canny busy Chester rd tbh so would be looking at Beechwood (at the top of the road I grew up on) Aint looked at each listings specs but would say get a stove in with a back boiler to help cut the gas boilers workload.

Both nice areas though and Barnes Park is nice for the bairns and 5 minute walk from the westlands.

A lot on Chester rd have had problems with the bays.(movement )If I remember rightly one fell out all together,take note when you pass there is always a scaffold up on one of them.

The best ones in the town that type of style are opposite roker park,but you won't get a one for £190k.
He would get something similar (red engineering brick style terrace) in side cliff road for maybe only slightly more than Westlands. Park Parade could probably be had for 250k.......then you're talking about the more expensive massive houses on the other side of the park in Roker Park Road. You get what you pay for and Roker is a nicer location than High Barnes

My combined gas and electric bill is about £250 a month over the winter. That's the main eye-opener having moved into a victorian end-terrace after living in a new build mid-terrace. Mind you, my house has suffered from subsidence in the past and been underpinned, so my house insurance is eye-watering.

My combined gas and electric bill is about £250 a month over the winter. That's the main eye-opener having moved into a victorian end-terrace after living in a new build mid-terrace. Mind you, my house has suffered from subsidence in the past and been underpinned, so my house insurance is eye-watering.

That's cheap as fuck, last year I was paying £100 more than that for the October/November/December period and the same again for January/February/March.

In a flat.

Each to their own, but paying to heat the top of a room, whilst you sit close to the floor and still feeling its cold has no appeal to me.

We live in a Victorian terrace. Definitely worth spending a few quid on getting loft properly insulated and getting all the windows sorted out. They are big rooms to heat, but at the end of the day they are big rooms, which are great.

Each to their own, but paying to heat the top of a room, whilst you sit close to the floor and still feeling its cold has no appeal to me.
I agree, but until I find a successful method of circumnavigating thermo-dynamics it looks like I'm stuck with the astronomical costs.

f***ing hell, do you ever turn it off? :eek: Ours is atleast £100 cheaper than that and were in a similar property.

f***ing hell, do you ever turn it off? :eek: Ours is atleast £100 cheaper than that and were in a similar property.
No. The missus (obv not) had it on yesterday because, I quote 'it was freezing'. I think my boiler is shit as well, mind. Looking to get it replaced.

No. The missus (obv not) had it on yesterday because, I quote 'it was freezing'. I think my boiler is shit as well, mind. Looking to get it replaced.
:lol: Lasses are cold blooded creatures like, I rarely had the heating on at all until she moved in, gas went up then as well as she must have scolding hot baths and not showers every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back