Running costs of older properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking to move to a bigger house, and I'm considering the older Victorian/Edwardian houses around Barnes, Thornhill and Ashbrooke, like these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36838976.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39133739.html

Are they really much more to run than your more modern houses, anyone live in one similar?

The prices of them man! Probably worth about twice as much down here.

First one is lovely.

Both houses are lovely. Neither have gardens tho which is a major downside for me like.

The first one is right on chester road n'arl which is hardlys ideal.

Both houses are lovely. Neither have gardens tho which is a major downside for me like.

I love houses like that but need a garden for the dog and bairn so limited to newer houses.

Houses like those but also with large gardens are very limited and you pay a proper premium for them unfortunately.

Bit OTT to buy another house because you can't wank anymore in your living room
Be cheaper to change the doors back, but moving house would cause less questions!

Look at me I'm buying a big house

Pathetic
I bet it's f***ing nowt like some of your kips!

With two bairns, and me needing an office (although our lass would probably want to fill it with a bairn rather than a desk) I need more space.

£200k isn't a vast amount these days.

Reactions: j.w

You quoted what I was gonna say pretty much word for word. Not ideal for a home with young kids imo.

With two bairns, and me needing an office (although our lass would probably want to fill it with a bairn rather than a desk) I need more space.

You know fine well she does!!! :lol:

I used to live on Westlands. They're nice houses with loads of room but it is busy at the front with ambulances up and down all day and general traffic. Doubt I would think of moving back there.

No mate, on the right just as it bends round to Briardene Close.
Last time I spoke he was in Seaham. I'd heard he moved back.

Will get the current kip tarted up and valued to see what the sketch is and what I can afford.

Anything but those new Belway homes down Ryhope which she fancies! £210k for a new build 4 bed over 3 levels. :eek:

Moorside could be a possibility anarl!

I wish I'd been a little wiser when I bought my house as a couple of things come to mind now. One is that although it's not a main road, it's use as a bypass for the main junction further round the estate during rush hour. The other is the facing of the house to the sun in general over the day.

I know that the house in Beechwood is near Thornhill school so there'd be 100's of kids passing numerous times a day for many days of the year. The other doesn't have a parking space out front though you can access it via the rear (near to hospital so don't know what the parking situation is round there so may be a fuck on to find a space so possibly remote garage door consideration). Obviously it's on Chester Road so again traffic and road noise etc may or may not concern you.

I don't know if this is worth considering as it may depend on the heat loss. You may want to get a house so that the rooms you will spend the most time in are getting the majority of the sun during the day. (basically facing South). The back of my house is warm as owt if it's sunny but still chilly outside from about 12 onwards. The front can be like the dark side of the moon all day as it only gets the sun up til about 9ish and then it's the side of the house that gets it for the next 3 hours. So even if it's warm in the back later in the day, I'd have to put the heating on for the front. Obviously it's good for when you are in the kitchen etc or like to sun it in the back garden but personally I spend more time in the front of the house as it's more practical.

If you aren't a house hermit working from home like me (hence my wasted time on here) and go out to work then this may only affect you at weekends. I suppose even coming home after work the rooms that get the sun will still be warmer so you may find you use more or less heating depending on where you are in the house the majority of the time. I could be talking shite but maybe those who live in similar houses would be better to advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back