RR Podcast: With Paul Reid & Charlie Methven - submit your questions/topics to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I have raised the issue of Disabled access to BCB and Quinnys and my personal issue of the club being unable to issue me with a working season card for BCB with yourselves, the RAWA,Chris Waters, Stewart Donald, my MP Emma Lewell-Buck.

The responses I have had are, Emma has sent me a letters sayings she raised issue with the club, Stewart's secretary has rang to say they are looking into it, Chris Water has tried his best but got no further.

Long shot is, it is now November 11th and a season card that I paid good money for in April still doesn't work and I have to carry a letter written by Chris Waters to make sure the stewards on the door on the Black Cats Bar let me in.

Not sure what else I can do, other than raising it with local/national media to make them get their arses in gear....

jesus wept.

The podcast isn’t going anywhere! But think it’s about time now we put these interviews with club staff to bed.They aren’t worth the hassle that comes with the fallout from them.
Would be a shame? What hassle do you get, people on here moaning? I’d say in the main it’s been pretty measured.

Roker Report became a propaganda machine for Donald, they had the audacity to patronise anyone who didn’t think winning League One was a formality and with the increased access Donald gave them they had more exclusives, more hits, more power. 90% of what was tweeted/written was utter shite. Likes of Wetherspoon on twitter were constantly shut down for querying Donald and co’s actions when really they should have been questioned right from the start, and now the club is in a bigger mess than ever before
Apparently the Netflix coverage of the Maja/Grigg situation makes Donald and co look exactly what they are- amateurs, and if it does ever get released I wonder what RE’s spin on that will be
Don't agree that they're propaganda but they're certainly less critical of the club than the WMS lads - and definitely less critical than Donald's performance deserves.

Shame that gav is talking about not doing them again to an extent. However, if don't hear methvens delightful mix of patronising superiority and abject lack of true football understanding again it'll be too soon. It might be a shame that there's less openness and fan engagement but the simple fact is that the current regime should be concentrating on improving their performance massively. As things stand we're going nowhere with them. Maybe shut the fuck up trying to manage the fans and do something - anything - that shows you have the first f***ing clue how to run a football club.

To be honest I think on the back of the reaction to this one that we won’t bother doing them again. Not worth all the flack.

Dont let the monsters stop you.
Plenty of people enjoy them.
Ffs - 'moaners'
It reads like the majority of posters complaining knew what they were going to get and listened anyway.

To be honest I think on the back of the reaction to this one that we won’t bother doing them again. Not worth all the flack.

I wouldn’t take the criticism to heart mate - it feels more like a criticism of Charlie from a set of fans lashing out due to the frustration of where we find ourselves

Although I’d maybe decline the opportunity to do any with Charlie again 😂

They said the u18's and u23's don't win games because winning isn't important except for when they play and it is important. They also blamed putting an u14 in an u16 squad for the u18's and u23's losing because development is more important, but it maybe shouldn't be more important and just as important.

I turned it off after that.
😂😂😂😂 f***ing hell. I know you tell kids that winning isnt that importabt when theyre 7 year old but telling 20 year olds its not about winning is f***ing hideous

We are fucked under these idiots like

😂😂😂😂 f***ing hell. I know you tell kids that winning isnt that importabt when theyre 7 year old but telling 20 year olds its not about winning is f***ing hideous

We are fucked under these idiots like

I didn't think he meant that mind. I took it to mean simply that results aren't the most important thing at that level, which is true. Of course every team should want to win, but if (and I know we aren't!) we were producing a couple of top class, hendo and Pickford types but the rest of the u23s were pretty useless then they'd probably lose a lot. Ultimately we wouldn't care because it would all be about bringing the two potential stars through. If they help us go up, or even if they have to move but it brings us £20m or whatever then it'd have been a very successful u23 side regardless of results. It's why he was saying he'd rather have a couple of 9/10 players and a load of 3/10s than a squad full of 6/10s, the latter would get better results so if that's what matters than great, but likely none would be good enough to come through and contribute either on the pitch or financially.

I agree with that completely, the problem we have currently is that the 23s seem to have neither! They aren't a team of 6/10s getting results since they're getting pumped every week, and there aren't any 9/10 players that we can at least think might help us next season. So although I agree with what I think his point was meant to be (don't judge the academy purely on the results they get), it doesn't make the issue of under performance or the concern about losing the good players we have are younger age groups any less of a concern

Loads of fanzine/interview/podcast experts on here who think they could do a better job. Wonder why they don't try their hand at it?
Maybe if yous grew a f***ing backbone instead of bowing down and accepting everything they say then people wouldnt be so critical like

Are yous scared they stop your snippets of bullshit like?

I didn't think he meant that mind. I took it to mean simply that results aren't the most important thing at that level, which is true. Of course every team should want to win, but if (and I know we aren't!) we were producing a couple of top class, hendo and Pickford types but the rest of the u23s were pretty useless then they'd probably lose a lot. Ultimately we wouldn't care because it would all be about bringing the two potential stars through. If they help us go up, or even if they have to move but it brings us £20m or whatever then it'd have been a very successful u23 side regardless of results. It's why he was saying he'd rather have a couple of 9/10 players and a load of 3/10s than a squad full of 6/10s, the latter would get better results so if that's what matters than great, but likely none would be good enough to come through and contribute either on the pitch or financially.

I agree with that completely, the problem we have currently is that the 23s seem to have neither! They aren't a team of 6/10s getting results since they're getting pumped every week, and there aren't any 9/10 players that we can at least think might help us next season. So although I agree with what I think his point was meant to be (don't judge the academy purely on the results they get), it doesn't make the issue of under performance or the concern about losing the good players we have are younger age groups any less of a concern

Whenever you post I can't help but nod my head and agree. People really ought to take note of what you say.
Are yous scared they stop your snippets of bullshit like?

I'm presuming you haven't been reading this thread at all.

No difficult questions were asked in the making of this podcast
Don't say that man! You'll upset everyone

What I've took from this though, is that we should all be happy with the situation we find ourselves and our academy in. It's actually class losing every week, it's for development.

Last edited:
Listened to it this morning , interesting point made about the criteria for appointing the new manager and the seven references.

Just wish the interviewer had responded with why was the criteria used to come to the decision to sack Ross , which now appears hasty and possibly not the right decision.

Seems to me that the questions are fixed and he’s probably knows what’s coming, tell me I’m wrong but that the impression I’m left with.

Can’t see the point of the other lads being their , they contributed next to nowt.

That’s constructive criticism mind , not a dig.

Stopping the podcast interviews of staff ?

Really ?

You need folk on who your listeners want to hear , if you can’t accept criticism that naturally comes with it , switch it all off now , you can’t have your pink slice and eat it .

Don't say that man! You'll upset everyone

What I've took from this though, is that we should all be happy with the situation we find ourselves and our academy in. It's actually class losing every week, it's for development.
Character building. All the best sides academy teams get scudded every week. Its natural

I think RR asked most of the right questions, they avoided some of the questions put forward because they have been asked and answered multiple times. They did it in a respectful way. Which is right and proper.
I think we are fortunate to regularly hear one of our owners talk about our club despite not liking some of the answers. I appreciate CM taking the time to do it.
I can’t find anything to get outraged about from this podcast and yet it seems most on here are. I hate being in L1 and find it unacceptable that we are here. These owners did not put us here. They have made us an attractive proposition for investors or buyers and we will get a crack at promotion this year. Sacking Ross was correct.
Most of the answers CM have I think were accurate.
I think his problem is that he is not one of us. He is absolutely spot on about personal abuse being vile but when he criticises the match attending fans he is on thin ice. We criticise the atmosphere on here all the time but are understandably aggrieved when an outsider does it.
The U18s and 23s are losing because of loans, 1st team squad promotions, and poaching at 15yo. Again not their fault.
I don’t like it when CM says anything bad about our attending fans. I don’t like that we are not bossing L1. I don’t like that SD has gone off the grid.
Our sense of entitlement, often outraged entitlement doesn’t give us the right to attack SD for going quiet, attack CM for saying some unpalatable truths, attack RR for being considered in their access to SAFC.

Last edited:
I think RR asked most of the right questions, they avoided some of the questions put forward because they have been asked and answered multiple times. They did it in a respectful way. Which is right and proper.
I think we are fortunate to regularly hear one of our owners talk about our club despite not liking some of the answers. I appreciate CM taking the time to do it.
I can’t find anything to get outraged about from this podcast and yet it seems most on here are. I hate being in L1 and find it unacceptable that we are here. These owners did not put us here. They have made us an attractive proposition for investors or buyers and we will get a crack at promotion this year. Sacking Ross was correct.
Most of the answers CM have I think were accurate.
I think his problem is that he is not one of us. He is absolutely spot on about personal abuse being vile but when he criticises the match attending fans he is on thin ice. We criticise the atmosphere on here all the time but are understandably aggrieved when an outsider does it.
The U18s and 23s are losing because of loans, 1st team squad promotions, and poaching at 15yo. Again not their fault.
I don’t like it when CM says anything bad about our attending fans. I don’t like that we are not bossing L1. I don’t like that SD has gone off the grid.
Our sense of entitlement, often outraged entitlement doesn’t give us the right to attack SD for going quiet, attack CM for saying some unpalatable truths, attack RR for being considered in their access to SAFC.
Hmmm. A lot of what Methven said was demonstrably untrue.

Let’s have it then.
“A lot”????
Well the bits about us competing with Man City at u23 level and about Parkinson’s exploits keeping Colchester in the championship just for starters. Then speak to @KStephenson about his accuracy with regards to what happens with promising young players. I’m not totally convinced that he’s saying things that aren’t true deliberately. I just think he’s a classic pub bore. His confidence WAY outstrips his knowledge of the game.

Well the bits about us competing with Man City at u23 level and about Parkinson’s exploits keeping Colchester in the championship just for starters. Then speak to @KStephenson about his accuracy with regards to what happens with promising young players. I’m not totally convinced that he’s saying things that aren’t true deliberately. I just think he’s a classic pub bore. His confidence WAY outstrips his knowledge of the game.
I don’t know KS so can’t comment on his version but I do know several academy staff members so have a decent version of it myself.
Think you’re right about the Colchester thing but the context of that still stands. Getting them out of L1 was very impressive.
As for the pub bore bit, maybe right, I don’t see it like that but it’s your opinion so fair enough. I’d still rather hear it than not.
I honestly think we are all struggling with not bombing this shit league and CM is the target of that frustration. Some of that he’s brought on himself but he did say this on day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back